Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband is looking for a mental institution for me ... >

My husband is looking for a mental institution for me ...

My husband is looking for a mental institution for me ...

Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
Mine just says..."whatever makes you happy, makes me happy". Yeah, he's a keeper. I've had him for 37 almost 38 years now. haha
That's my husband exactly and we just celebrated our 54th anniversary. It helps that we both have the same value system when it comes to money. He knows that I am more of an agonizer than a spendthrift so he wants me to just get on with it. My current agony is deciding to buy a Janome 8900 at my advanced age. Neither daughter is the least bit interested in sewing.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

If hubby thinks you should be committed, then you are in great company. My DH complains about the amount of fabric and crafting supplies I have, and that they take up too much room. Well, I got rid of half my fabric when we had to move after losing our house due to the huge medical bills we had when he became disabled. Quilting is my therapy and I need it for my mental health; but he thinks nothing about new upgrades to his computer. Like someone said - Men are from Mars, women are from Venus.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Well, I think he is, because he told me last night I need to be committed. I bought a Brother DreamCreator VM5100 last week - I am in L O V E with it! It's a fabulous machine, and I am in heaven. But I told DH that I really want a Pfaff in a couple of years. You would have thought I told him I was considering having my arm removed from my torso and sewn on my head. He asked me why I wanted it and I told him that it has a bigger embroidery area and that I would like to be able to do the larger in-hoop quilting designs that aren't compatible with my Brother. He just shook his head and said something about needing to be committed and that he bet I'd be after that machine next March (I get my bonus in March every year).

Anyway, does anyone have either the Creative Performance or Creative Sensation? I would love to know just how useful the larger embroidery area might be for quilting.

Oh, and maybe he's right about next March ... I could probably sell the 8900 for enough to help pay for the Pfaff, right?
I think your husband may just be right,why not buy the machine you really want now,or have I misunderstood your question? If you are so happy with what you have, why not be content.I often think that if people buy a machine with all the latest bells and whistles then they loose the ability to be creative,just let the machine do it for them,but hey,that's only my take on it.Let's hope that the same idea of updating doesn't apply to or partners !!! Love Letty
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Every couple is different. The only decided together purchase for DH and me was our house. We each have our own bank account and one joint one to pay the household bills. It works for us.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM

I husband encourages me and has no issues except not having enough room...he told me I had to get rid of my treadle before I got my Sweet sixteen...but I just moved stuff a round a bit and put it in...but that is it...no more room. I use the treadle table for my serger so it can stay. Now if I got rid of the treadmill... sadly no room for a longarm. We measured...it would take up way to much room so sitdown will have to do.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 AM

I was not interested in sewing until my mid 40's. I am hoping my granddaughter will be interested.
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
That's my husband exactly and we just celebrated our 54th anniversary. It helps that we both have the same value system when it comes to money. He knows that I am more of an agonizer than a spendthrift so he wants me to just get on with it. My current agony is deciding to buy a Janome 8900 at my advanced age. Neither daughter is the least bit interested in sewing.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM

My DH just asks "are you going to use it" and I say "yes" (what else would I say...no?), then he's perfectly fine with it. I've been through a lot and he wants me to be happy. He was even encouraging me about a LA machine, but I know I wouldn't get the full use out of it so got the big Bernina instead. Of course, he has his obsessions too. At least my stuff can be contained in one room!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I have one of those, he is an enabler!! Course I don't say much about his 3 motorcycles either!
My husband always ask how many does machines to make a quilt, I ask how many guns to kill a deer or turkey, He shuts up real quick like LOL
Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 PM

My only caution would be spending your bonus on a PFAFF. I have one that is 7 years old and is totally useless because the new "updates" can't talk to it. Also it has had to be totally rebuilt twice and has been in the repair shop more than I can count. I have never received a bonus so of course this is my lifetime machine. Shop wisely, spend freely!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM

it brought a pfaff creative vision in 2008 when i retired . There is a lot about the machine that i realy love. like the big hoops and the built in walking foot. BUT i have had lots of trouble with the machine, In fact i had 4 machine now that they replace all the creative vision. untill i change dealers and that dealer fix it for me . So im not sure if it was the dealer that was the trouble or if it was the machines. But i do like the machine.