Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband says I am not a quilter... >

My husband says I am not a quilter...

My husband says I am not a quilter...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM

A wonderful idea. Along with fabrics, I'm always buying tools, too, for certain patterns I see online then forget which projects they were meant for.

I do the same with recipes. I make a list, shop for groceries, then forget what recipe they were for. Duuuh. And I thought I was organized.........[/quote]

Oh wow! You and I must have been separated at birth! I have been embarrassed to admit those things (and more) to anyone but myself. And look at you!! What courage!
:oops: :lol:[/quote]

Isn't anonimity wonderful? LOL.

I'm too embarrassed to admit I just made the same screw up twice. I was FMQ a tablerunner & found the back end had folded back under & I was stitching it to the top end. I couldn't go to bed until I had that stitching out. Now today after getting the thread I had run out of I was determined to get that runner finished. Oh no. You guessed it. I did the same darn thing. I thought I was being so careful. I was so ticked off at myself. I put it aside feeling I could be doing something much more fun right now.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
I spend far more time daydreaming and planning quilts than I do quilting. This summer I bought a box of 2 gallon zip plastic bags. When I look through my fabric collection and am inspired to make a certain quilt, I put the fabric and the pattern together in one of the bags so that the pattern shows through on one side. That helps me remember what I had in mind when I bought the fabric. I have got a lot more piecing and quilting done since I've been doing that.
I've been doing that and it really does make a difference. Also keeps the dust off until I get a "round tuit" At least it makes me feel a little bit more organized. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM

A wonderful idea. Along with fabrics, I'm always buying tools, too, for certain patterns I see online then forget which projects they were meant for.

I do the same with recipes. I make a list, shop for groceries, then forget what recipe they were for. Duuuh. And I thought I was organized.........[/quote]

Oh wow! You and I must have been separated at birth! I have been embarrassed to admit those things (and more) to anyone but myself. And look at you!! What courage!
:oops: :lol:[/quote]

Hahaha... I suspect there are more of us than anyone wants to know about! <G>
Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?
Repeat this over and over to yourself......."Many great artists (Beethoven, DaVinci?) have left work undone and NO ONE doubts their genius!!"

"Sometimes, even though your quilt isn't finished, you are finished with your quilt."

That's MY story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbup:
Jan in VA
Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
... I just don't know how I can use those dark fabrics I bought when I started quilting and had no idea of what I was doing at the time. They are beautiful, but I am not good at matching them with anything else. Any ideas out there????
I haven't read all the posts yet so someone may have already replied to you. But I suggest you post some pics of your 'darks' and then we can perhaps give you some ideas. :-)
Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by skydiver70
I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL
That gave me my real morning chuckle. Have to do a better job now so I can move my new chair around easily.
Re-reading this thread gave me an idea. I've always wanted a unique floor in my "studio" (which here is virtually my whole cottage). What if I quit sweeping up all those threads ends, trimming ends, short-leftover strips, tiny scraps, "noses" from Half-Square Triangles (HSTs) and such......THINK of the time I could save from cleaning for more quilting!......and after the floor got to the point where the chair would just not roll any more, I could cover the whole shebang in polyurethane and have my shiny colorful floor!:D

Jan in VA
Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I am a quilter and a collector. I'm just putting fabric and kits away for my retirement. Gotta plan ahead you know. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Gramma Nan: May I ask what is the definition that your husband considers to be a quilter? Have you ask him just what a quilter really is? I am curious as to his definition. Perhaps none of us qualify as quilters. Lol Gerbie
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by skydiver70
I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL
I just had to laugh....that's me as well, I'm a pattern collector- but not to be outdone by my fabric collection as well. Somehow I do manage to get a few projects done, but there's always a long line up of projects waiting their turn!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 AM

I don't call myself a collector as possibly a "DREAMER" as I am dreaming of all I want to create. When I am blogging, I sometimes get "depressed" that I have not "produced" like so many others. I give myself permission to "DREAM" and that it is okay to just "HANG IN THERE" at my pace, for now.