Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband says I am not a quilter... >

My husband says I am not a quilter...

My husband says I am not a quilter...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by skydiver70
I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: I have that sign hanging in my dining room! :lol:
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 AM

That is a good one! I think we are all in the same boat.LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 AM

Each to there own. I an sure he collects something . tools , guns etc.. If u make quilts u r a quilter . My husband just laughs when I say its time for a trip North or South to buy fabric. Just take one day at a time & work on whatever pleases u . I still have needlepoint to finish & I will someday.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Go thru all your projects and be honest with yourself. Sell or give away all the ones you definitely know you will NOT finish.
Then pick one and start working on it...and nothing else. This helped me! Oh...don't buy anything else.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM

I have too much fabric and patterns too, but my tastes change from year to year. A while ago i gave away a few ufo's for postage. Didn't make a lot of room, lol, but got to mark a few off my to finish list.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I am at the point of my projects causing me to have restless sleep!
I wake up to use little girls room, and can't get back to sleep right away as I am trying to vision problem with current project or work out how/when I will do next project!!

Talk about OVER THINKING!!! :|

so much for "RELAXING" hobby!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
I keep getting new fabrics because I don't want to cut into the fabric I have stashed. Isn't that sick? I buy fabric I love and then don't want to use it because I'm afraid a project will come along that will be perfect for it and then it would be used up. My stash is getting overwhelming but I still buy. I just have to have a "fabric fix" every so often.
I read this entire thread and the quote I posted made me laugh my head off! I'm in that great big boat with the rest of you !! ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Well, try to control buying any more fabric and try to concentrate on just one project. Start with something small so it will go fast to complete. You can offer them as gifts for the holidays or if you have small children/grandchildren, they can be given to their teachers as gifts for the holidays.

Most of the time, I pick up stuff I know I will use. When I see a fabric I really like I will get this idea of what I want to do with it and work from there. I usually have 3 or more projects in the making and once I get them all finished I will start several more afterwards. I enjoy quilting so much that if I am not reading the quiting board or quilting magazines, I am planning another quilt. It has become part of me and my world.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea. I have a lot of unfinished canvases here but my daughter's finished paintings are wonderful. Maybe we need a swap to trade UFOs!! That could be fun!
Sometimes the UFO or even non-starts are part of the learning process. One of my struggles has been that I was raised: 1) to never waste materials - and practicing techniques could result in waste; and 2) that you shouldn't attempt something that you aren't good at, because that could result in #1...more waste.

I have had to teach myself to go ahead and buy fabrics that catch my eye or my imagination, and then to simply use it...whether it is to practice a technique (happy accidents to occur) or to hold for the right project. And allow myself that freedom.

My husband has been great help in this growth...he is a fly tyer and he is always buying materials that he might need :-) . And, he practices, and practices, and practices...and he throws stuff away or uses it to remember what not to do. And, he keeps a journal about it. So, his hobby has helped me grow in mine. If your husband doesn't have a hobby that requires collecting stuff for someday or creates messes, maybe you could help him find one...

Hugs.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by ganny
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.
Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?
Just keep on saving the scraps from everything you sew. OR you could volunteer to take a bunch of scraps off the hands of someone who is totally overwhelmed with theirs!

:lol: