Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it my imagination? >

Is it my imagination?

Is it my imagination?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
have many pieces of cotton from the 50's and the feel of them is so much different than the present cottons. Just made in the USA so long ago, I suspect.
I have also noticed that cotton has changed over the last 20-30 years. What used to be called a percale sheet does not exist any more, what is called percale now would have been a cheap muslin sheet then. The 100% cotton I get at Hancock's to make shirts out of is rough and needs ironing, not so fun in summer. I hate to think I need to pay $12+/yd to get decent weave, knowing it all comes from China these days.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Did the photo of my dog appear? I have followed direction an never seem to get the picture in the right place. Must be doing something wrong but don't know what.
Attached Thumbnails copy-dscf0026.jpg  

Last edited by redbreast; 01-18-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: dog should be in y profile--not here
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Did the photo of my dog appear? I have followed direction an never seem to get the picture in the right place. Must be doing something wrong but don't know what.
Yes, cute dog is front and center.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Yes, the solids of all fabrics seem thinner to me...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 AM

There is a lot of variation in 100% cotton, I do wash all of it before I use it. I have not encountered and problems with the current Kona Bay with which I have been working.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM

I buy Moda solids exclusively as I found my Kona bled............blacks and reds. Moda solids seemed to be the same quality to me though as their prints.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Perhaps the reason fabrics feel different is the thread count and thread weight in the fabric. Batiks are a higher thread count with finer weight thread. Most cotton fabrics used in quiiler fabric are about 75 thread count and some solid colors like Kaufman are 68 and some fabric even less thread count. And the finishing process of fabric also makes a different in the feel to our touch. So glad as quilters when we can see, touch and decide what we like. Happy quilting
Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I find the Kona solids thicker than the other fabric i buy and I only buy from LQS. I buy top of the line.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM

I have used the Kaufman Kona fabric. I feel that it is a coarser weave than other cottons. It does seem to fray some but I haven't had it fray enough that it was a problem. I thought I used to get the Kaufman kona at JoANns and Hobby Lobby. The color selection wasn't good but they had some. Mone don't seem to carry it any more. The have Kona but it definately isn't Kaufman. I haven't used Moda.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:36 PM

I've searched on the web but still can't get a straight answer. Closest I came was Broadcloth is a plain weave but Homespun is a twill. Here in Australia what we call Homespun is a plain colour. What you call Muslin we call Calico. The LQS also sell what they call Quilters Muslin but which is actually Calico that has been processed more. The difference is the price. Calico $1.99 - $5.99 per metre depending on width and quality, Quilters Muslin $25.00 per metre. I buy Calico by the roll and process it myself. It ends up ivory/off white colour and is soft and lasts for years.
As for our homespun I think that must be what you call broadcloth but we now get different qualities (generally from India or Pakistan) but it's still only $7.99 per metre. I started using Moda Bella Solids a couple of years ago and like the quality very much. I know my BFF likes our Homespun. We can also buy a mottled one as well. Makes the colour a lot more subtle. I remember Broadcloth and Headcloth from school. Headcloth was used for handtowels and tray cloths.