Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it my imagination? >

Is it my imagination?

Is it my imagination?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I can tell a big difference from different fabric manufacturers. I will look at Northcott fabric first when looking for fabric for a quilt. I have a short list of brands of fabric I will buy.

Northcott solids: http://northcott.net/?sid=2&layout=2...26&colorid=704
Old 01-19-2014, 03:48 AM

If it was an estate sale the fabrics could be older. I remember when I was in high school I sewed all my own clothes and the fabric was so mush more quality then. I can actually feel feel the difference. I still had a lot left over but gave them away. Now I am sorry. I have also found that the colors feel different. They must dyd different.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
I got a lot of fat quarters at an estate sale, and they are higher quality than anything I have ever bought myself. I am loving making sampler quilt tops with them. My question is about solids -- I buy the Moda or Kona, but they seem a looser weave than the prints. Is this true? I can't think of any reason, so it must be me...
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM

I have been a huge fan of Kona for years but am finding the new pieces I purchase aren't as nice as the ones I have lingering in my stash. I purchased some of the Moda Bella and solids and fell in love with them. When (or if) I use the Kona I will be replacing with Moda Bella and solids.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM

There is cotton broadcloth and there is cotton/poly blend broadcloth. Kona Cotton Solids and Moda Bella Solids are both 100% cotton broadcloths with a thread count of 60. Quilt shop quality cotton prints are in the 68 to 75 thread count range. That's why the solids feel looser to you. Prewashing tightens the weave if that's what you want.

Broadcloth does not refer to the fiber content, it refers to the manufacturing method.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM

I was going through fabric that I have had for thirty years or more last week and I started noticing how much better it was than the fabrics I have bought in the last couple of years. It was fabric that was made in the USA. Some is from my DM's stash and I know it was bought very cheap but it had a better hand than some I have payed ten dollars a yard for.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

This is one reason I like to buy local. I like to feel the weave. If it's real thin and depending on the cost, I may or may not buy it. I always take it home and pre-wash whatever I buy.