Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My little rant about shipping >

My little rant about shipping

My little rant about shipping

Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
Many's the order I did not carry through on because of outrageous shipping! There's just no excuse for some of those exorbitant rates.
Yes some of the shipping and handling charges are outrageous! Notice when you package arrives, it didn't cost that much for shipping. They charge us for putting THEIR product in a box!! Whats the reasoning here??
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 AM

Some sites offer free shipping if your total is over a certain amount, like fabric.com as mentioned above. I have compared shipping fees from several sellers with the EXACT items on eBay. Most will have shipping for $2.99, some free(little Robeez shoes for the newly adopted granddaughter!)and the other will have it for $5.99 or higher! I refuse to buy from someone who is getting extra profit from shipping no matter if it is dirt cheap-principal of it. The boxes are free from the post office to ship priority. I've had some stores refund $ because actual shipping was less than a web site calculation (Farm House Fabrics-heirloom sewing not quilting) When I find a good web site, its hard to look elsewhere, except for recomendations from here :).
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36
Ok, so I find this site, they have some beautiful batiks I was looking for and they are fat quarters....the bundle has 24 FQ's in it for $55.....great I thought good price, ummmm until I went to the check out just to find out it was going to cost me $26.95 to ship...NOT!!!!!! I have ordered way more fabric and have never ever paid that much shipping ever...this was being shipped to Canada...wow will be certainly looking else where.....ok I will get of my high horse.....just need to vent...thanks for listening.....
Just checked the USPS website. The flatrate box that I usually use costs $12.50 for U.S. delivery, but $26.95 for Canada delivery.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM

Ok, so I find this site, they have some beautiful batiks I was looking for and they are fat quarters....the bundle has 24 FQ's in it for $55.....great I thought good price, ummmm until I went to the check out just to find out it was going to cost me $26.95 to ship...NOT!!!!!! I have ordered way more fabric and have never ever paid that much shipping ever...this was being shipped to Canada...wow will be certainly looking else where.....ok I will get of my high horse.....just need to vent...thanks for listening.....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48870-1.htm
Here is a link to my information - I still have almost 1000 yards of batik for sale! I can usually "squish" in a little extra fabric than what I state in my post (if you don't mind it being wrinkled). Send me a private message for further information if you're interested. I hate high shipping costs and I keep open boxes in my house for customers that want to "fill 'em up" before I ship!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 AM

I found a purse quilt pattern in Louisiana and I live in Mississippi. The shipping was over $7 and I didn't buy it.
I found one on ebay and the shipping was $1.88 more like it.
I don't think there should be a handling fee for go to a bin, picking up the pattern and putting it in an envelope. I always check shipping/handling fees.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 AM

I sell pretty consistently via EBay ... and am always too LOW on my quotes
for shipping. So the difference is absorbed by me, deducted from my
"profit".... if any. I continue to sell because of my love of sewing/creating.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
have anyone every asked why high shipping rates for an order.
I have. My son told me it was because the post office is in BIG money trouble due to the internet, UPS and others.

Same for the newspapers. My paper this Monday AM was a joke. Like the magazines, there's too much advertising and not enuf news. I'm not renewing when my subscription runs out. My Dad was an old newspaper man from his teen years so I cut my teeth on linatype. First time in 82 years I will not have a daily. I get better news on the internet.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

I never could figure out why a company charges postage and handling fees. If you have a business that requires your product to be "handled" (packaged) and shipped, why isn't that included in your product cost. I think this is a gimmick that some smart "numbers cruncher" thot up years ago to increase profit. We are being blackmailed. How else are we to get their product, by mule train?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Is that US shipping, or Canadian shipping. But either way, it sounds way to high. I ususally try to wait for one of the places I buy from to have a sale with "Free Shipping".
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 AM

I wait for free shipping too - certainly makes it easier and I can also purchase more :)