Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: My little rant about shipping

Been there did that! I live in Canada too and the shipping from some shops to Canada is unbelievable. Sometimes they just have a blanket policy that the shipping rate is so much regardless of the size of the order. I did find a source for some nice tonal blender fat quarters. They send to me from HI for about $6. I find things on ebay but really watch the shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaLinda
    Shipping to Hawaii is also ridiculous with some companies. Some even consider Hawaii as international. Seems many don't know that Flat-rate Priority Boxes from the PO cost the same no matter what state they are going to. Shipping is the first thing I look at when I go to a website.
    I do exactly the same thing. Some companies don't even ship to Hawaii.

ok so i just dont understand the whole shipping thing why can i order off say a fabric panel and one person can give me free shipping and the same panel from another seller can be less but the shipping makes it more than the one with free shipping like someone else said about priority mail why would you not ship that way when ever possible the boxes and envelopes are free i just love the ad for those "if it fits it ships" i worked at walmart and we had to send our wic vouchers out every week and at the beginnign of the month and the girls would weigh them out then put them in big envelopes and hope they didnt rip and put a bunch of stamps go to the post office and then pay for the priority till my post master told me about the priority envelopes i saved wm a ton of money after that because some weeks we could get away with one envelope where normally we would have had to send 2

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I have been selling books on the board and I can ship them anywhere in the Continental US for $2.77 media rate. I am shipping a book to Canada and it cost $10.88. Big difference.
    just an fyi dont know if usps still does it but at one time your could send audio video stuff (books cd videos) free but i think this only if it was gifts.

Blog Entries
    i don't get it. six pages of anger and steam over something we can each control as it affects our own little corners of the universe.

1. check the shipping policies and prices. if they are not to your liking, leave the site and look elsewhere.
    2. if they seem to be within your acceptable range, continue to shop.
    3. don't commit to the order until you have calculated the final cost per yard. if it's within your acceptable range, place the order. if it isn't, cancel out and shop elsewhere.
    4. if it's the only thing in the world that will make you feel better, then do drop them a polite note explaining that you lost interest once the total cost became clear. i have found from personal experience that calm, logically presented complaints or questions get answered more quickly and more often to my satisfaction than are those that are smokin' because i've sent in the heat of the moment and didn't stop to calm down first.

if we each do these things we will ensure for ourselves that we enjoy our shopping experiences.

it's all up to us. the choices are all ours. that's what matters most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Hancocks of Paducah just announced they are shipping to Canada for the same rates as US

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/content--id-14
    And have you seen their new catalog......DH looked through it last night and said "I am in trouble, huh?"
    Yep, he is. :lol:

Go to Connecting Threads. They ship to us here and it is very reasonable. plus, they are great to deal with.

I have cancelled several orders just because of the shipping costs. They are really getting out of hand. Have they not heard of Flat rate boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gertie
    Hello btiny36,
    I feel like ranting with you!!!!
    A couple of months ago I ordered some Jinny Beyer fabrics, which I can't buy in England. I ordered $63 worth because My shipping would only be $8 ( an offer for July only! ).
    When eventually 4 weeks later I received a card from our local post office informing me they couln't deliver my parcel untill I had paid the customs charge of 15 , about $22 !!!! To cut a long story short, it turned out that half of it was VAT and the other half was Royal Mail charges!! Needless to say , I won't do that again. Mad Gertie from Kent
    I feel sorry for anyone in the UK that's importing fabric. You certainly do get hit with a lot of fees. Supposedly there is a way for you to act as your own customs broker and avoid some of the fees. If anyone reading this has tried that route, it would be interesting to know how that worked for you!

The only way I can think of to avoid such high vat and Royal Mail charges when things are being delivered here in the UK is to ask for the parcel to be sent as a 'Gift'. (Post and shipping included)

That said, it isn't honest, but neither is the true cost of the astronomical charges we get lumbered with by Her Majesty's Customs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaLinda
    Shipping to Hawaii is also ridiculous with some companies. Some even consider Hawaii as international. Seems many don't know that Flat-rate Priority Boxes from the PO cost the same no matter what state they are going to. Shipping is the first thing I look at when I go to a website.
    Hi!!! I used to live in Kailua-Kona from 1975-1980. My brother and family still live there.. Peter McCollum... Also my first love owns the Sandwhich Isle dive shop. He's married now-- long time ago. Good memories- thanks

I was going to purchase from Ebay once and the shipping was so High I asked the seller why.And told him my Husband works at the post office and that I knew it didn't cost nearly that much for shipping.(But not anymore)and he told me to please don't purchase from his store it upset him so bad. I emailed him back and just said not a problem. :lol:

I always go for the free shipping. :thumbup:

When I have ordered things from USA the shipping has been registered mail. Maybe that is what it is for. The most I paid is $24 US and it was registered otherwise I would baulk at it too. Being a pensioner I have to be careful where my money goes and I am not getting the full pension either only just over $300 per fortnight. I would suggest next time check to see if it is registered.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow that is increidable. Vent all you want. that is what we are here for. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    Wow that is increidable. Vent all you want. that is what we are here for. God bless.
    sorry to be a wet blanket, but that isn't true.

Rants, raves, vents and flames are strongly discouraged. They serve no constructive purpose; they start arguments; and they make us look bad as a group. We end up sounding like a bunch of cranky old bats. (now, you know we aren't really; and I know we aren't really. but the rest of the world may not read through enough of the board to figure that out. :lol: )

This topic hasn't been deleted or locked for a few reasons:

1. Some responders have shared information about vendors they deal with who charge reasonable rates. (they offer solutions to the problem being grumbled about.)

2. It hasn't gone too far over the edge of reason or degenerated into arguments over what is or isn't reasonable. (but it is mostly page after page of people agreeing angrily about the obvious. :lol: )

3. It serves as a reminder that we need to shop carefully and intelligently. We need to understand our rights and responsibilities as consumers. We need to remember that nobody can force us to buy their products.

4. It serves as a reminder to look for solutions and not just grumble. In the case of shipping ... if you don't think the price is fair, walk away from the sale. problem solved. ;-)

Power Poster
    Nothing like doing a little sending/shipping/mailing of things oneself to become aware of the cost of shipping.

Blog Entries
    I agree.Does no good to complain unless we try to find a solution to whatever problem.Shopping sales/clearance is my way of keeping costs down.
    Recent order was 5yds of sale fabric for $5.95 Fed Ex ground shipping,
    from Hancock's of Paducah.There's a lot of reasonable priced fabric on line.I keep a notebook listing them & also a list of places where shipping
    is out of site.Saves me time,as I don't bother with them.

It serves as a reminder to look for solutions and not just grumble. In the case of shipping ... if you don't think the price is fair, walk away from the sale. problem solved.

Sorry, but I wasn't ranting about shipping, I was very much aware how much this would cost me .No I was angry about the costs which was added on this side of the water !!!!
    I have never paid any VAT or mail cost on ANY purchase sent from the US( and I have had a few in the past!),but to be told by British Customs " you have been lucky" is a bit much I think. VAT , yes I can just about accept but handeling charges by Royal Mail ?, O come on !!!! 8. on a 40. parcel is extortionate. So that was my little rant !!!! Mad Gertie from England

Blog Entries
    that has to hurt - especially since it's one of those "government things". it's a bit tricky trying to not shop with the government. they tend to get cranky and vindictive. :shock:

Thanks for being here Patrice to be the voice of reason and keep us in check. We do have a tendancy to get a bit off topic. I know I'm guilty. It is good tho to get a clear perspective of the topic. A reminder, if you will. I appreciate it.

Power Poster
    I also mind - a lot - what I consider an unreasonable shipping charge.

I just went on line to order a football jersey. It said they were $18.00.
    I placed my order and by the time S&H was added the total cost was $48.00!!!
    I canceled that order!!!

Blog Entries
    Good for you....seems not shopping at those places is the only pay back we have.Maybe send them a note ? Maybe not tho....anyone charging that $$$ amount doesn't care. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I canceled that order!!!

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Good for you....seems not shopping at those places is the only pay back we have.Maybe send them a note ? Maybe not tho....anyone charging that $$$ amount doesn't care. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I canceled that order!!!
    The problem is there is no place for comments.

I recently ordered an item that was $9.95 and the shipping was over $10! I couldn't find it locally and had no choice but to order it. Other sites had a higher price and shipping was still over $10. Ridiculous!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4