Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My little rant about shipping

If you complain to the company, they'll say that part of the shipping costs are the "handling" costs. Yeah, right...like who pays for those workers when there's NO orders??? That has never made sense to me. The handling costs should be included in the cost of the fabric....because they don't hire someone JUST to handle my order. As for shipping, I'd wondered if anyone was going to lower prices since USPS started with those specials. And I agree with cjc, I trust UPS and FedX a heck of a lot more that the PO.

Well, not living in Continguous USA, we are usually not allowed to use free shipping. Why? It costs more to ship to AK. NOT if you use flat rate boxes. Well, the last excuse was we have contract with FedEx and use them only. Your order is separate. So three boxes came by USPS but the total was $7. Not bad. And when one was lost I called the company and they had tracking numbers. All turned out ok. I guess I am just used to paying more for EVERYTHING!

Here's my two cents: Yes, some places have outragous S & H charges. on more than one occasion I've been told that's how they get away with selling the item for less. So they can make up the difference in S & H charges. Recently on eBay I had a lady tell me that's how she offsets the eBay fees. I didn't buy from her. Shipping was almost twice the price of the item I wanted. Oh well, just keep shopping around and eventually I will find it at the price I'm willing to pay. I was just using eBay as an example, I think it's that way with a lot of businesses. Maybe they think we aren't paying attention and that's how they stick it to us.

Blog Entries
    Agreed!!! I can't get comfy using any on line site till I find shipping charges.BTW,several sites state they can get up to 7yds in a pre paid envelope.Sorry to hear about the $$ shipping charges to to you!

[ Shipping is the first thing I look at when I go to a website.[/quote]

Blog Entries
    I have been selling books on the board and I can ship them anywhere in the Continental US for $2.77 media rate. I am shipping a book to Canada and it cost $10.88. Big difference.

Tell me about charges for shipping to Canada!! Not too long ago I sent a "Pay it forward" box to Canada and ended up paying over $20. for it. Never again.....

when asked why answer is handling they have to pay what they call pickers to select and pack said order

I got 5 yards from Whittles Fabrics last week, and the flat pack postage to Australia was $13.45. Fabric was $17.50. Even at $30.95 including postage, it was still a lot less than paying the $25 - $35 per metre we pay in Australia for the same fabric.

One place over here has a flat rate of $7.50 postage - even for ONE reel of thread! Expensive thread. AND it is only 40kms away. Problem is, they only do mail order. I definitely don't buy from them.

I always check shipping and handling beforeI even start browsing the site. I hated the fact that I got all excited about the fabrics, then to find the astonomical figure of shipping for it.

Oh how familiar are the stories and experiences. I too watch packaging and postage to OZ. I find Jinny Beyer and a couple of other sites are really good at keeping postage prices to a minimum. I have frequently challenged a projected postage value before actually submitting the order. On most occassions the supplier was able to reduce the $$ value considerably.
    I only purchase when the exchange rate is reasonable. It's amazing what the exchange rate can do to the final $ value.
    However when all is said and done the US$ price of fabrics and notions are so much lower than we are urged to pay in OZ. I will continue to look at US web sites and when possible, buy from reputable US stores.

I work in Shipping for my company. We do not use USPS because we can not track the package. We've had to many customers say that they never received the package using USPS. When they loose the package and the customer service from USPS SUCKS!!! what good it flat rate postage. My company has negotiated rates with UPS and FedEx even with that we can't ship anything for less than $11.00. And then if it is a residential address and out of the 'normal' zone (whatever that means) then there are extra charges. And if you are shipping outside the continetal US the charges are way higher.

I, on behalf of my company, have spent hours...days...trying to find ways to reduce shipping costs. Most companies loose money when it comes to shipping.

Just FYI from someone on both ends of the Shipping debate.

I`m from Canada also and agree you have to watch the shipping.
    I have gotten patterns shipped for 3.00 other places charge oputrages.
    As for fabric got beautiful batiks and large backing on sale at fabric depot and shipping is about 7.50 I think connecting threads who I orderd a few years ago is also reasonable.
    Gale

when I order fabric and they charge so much shippingcosts I always sent them an email and ask if it's realy that much to ship it to France. Often I get mail back that I have to put: please put it in a Flat Rate Priority envelope in the commend bar. The last order was 7 yards and I payed almost $14 for it.There are 7 or 8 yards going in such an envelope.

Just got an email from
    fabric closeout and 1-8 yards is 10.50 to canada not bad
    Gale

Hello btiny36,
    I feel like ranting with you!!!!
    A couple of months ago I ordered some Jinny Beyer fabrics, which I can't buy in England. I ordered $63 worth because My shipping would only be $8 ( an offer for July only! ).
    When eventually 4 weeks later I received a card from our local post office informing me they couln't deliver my parcel untill I had paid the customs charge of 15 , about $22 !!!! To cut a long story short, it turned out that half of it was VAT and the other half was Roial Mail charges!! Needless to say , I won't do that again. Mad Gertie from Kent

I`ve never had to pay anything else like duty.
    I heard if you keep it under 50.00 you won`t get charged but also have heard other stories about people having to pay under 50.00 and over get it without paying extra, so its a real throw of the dice.
    Gale

I order frequently online but always check shipping costs first. Don't know why some companies want to charge so much for shipping.

A few weeks ago I was going to purchase the Piece o' Cake DVD ($19.95). When I emailed to ask the cost of shipping, I was told $19.95! A total of $38.90 ($A44). Needless to say I didn't buy it. Managed to find it on eBay for $17.95 with $7 postage for a brand new unopened DVD. Don't know where they got their $19.95 postage from.

Far too high!

Add on to that, sometimes Customs also get hold of our parcels coming to England from the States. And do they know how to charge! Extortionate!

The customs charge once cost me more than the 'Sale' fabric and shipping combined!

Well here is me again.
    I give praise to Quilter Lisa Moore!
    I just ordered a 9.00 pattern from Alaska and shipping is only 1.55!
    Gale

Did this include a customs charge? I sent Christmas gifts directly from a vendor in Maine to Ontario and the recipients were charged duty fees. Some Canadian companies will have a US location to avoid these charges.

I also don't order without checking the shipping charges. I add it to the cost of fabric. I have seen some crazy prices on ebay. When I ship I may add a few cents for having to drive to the PO but it is usually just rounding up a from say 2.47 to 2.50 I don't think that is unreasonable. :-) I won't charge any more that I would be willing to pay for something. And since I am on a very low fixed income that is not much. Have avoided buying or selling anything outside the 48 so far

I have canceled several orders because of shipping charges ended up being more than cost of material.

Try Fabric.com
    No shipping fees with an order of $35 or more.
    Beautiful Batiks.

I am totally with you on the price of shipping to Canada. I often consider it a reminder to support our LQSs, but oh, the lower cost per yard is so enticing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast