Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My little rant about shipping

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    Many's the order I did not carry through on because of outrageous shipping! There's just no excuse for some of those exorbitant rates.
    Yes some of the shipping and handling charges are outrageous! Notice when you package arrives, it didn't cost that much for shipping. They charge us for putting THEIR product in a box!! Whats the reasoning here??

Blog Entries
    Some sites offer free shipping if your total is over a certain amount, like fabric.com as mentioned above. I have compared shipping fees from several sellers with the EXACT items on eBay. Most will have shipping for $2.99, some free(little Robeez shoes for the newly adopted granddaughter!)and the other will have it for $5.99 or higher! I refuse to buy from someone who is getting extra profit from shipping no matter if it is dirt cheap-principal of it. The boxes are free from the post office to ship priority. I've had some stores refund $ because actual shipping was less than a web site calculation (Farm House Fabrics-heirloom sewing not quilting) When I find a good web site, its hard to look elsewhere, except for recomendations from here :).

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36
    Ok, so I find this site, they have some beautiful batiks I was looking for and they are fat quarters....the bundle has 24 FQ's in it for $55.....great I thought good price, ummmm until I went to the check out just to find out it was going to cost me $26.95 to ship...NOT!!!!!! I have ordered way more fabric and have never ever paid that much shipping ever...this was being shipped to Canada...wow will be certainly looking else where.....ok I will get of my high horse.....just need to vent...thanks for listening.....
    Just checked the USPS website. The flatrate box that I usually use costs $12.50 for U.S. delivery, but $26.95 for Canada delivery.

Ok, so I find this site, they have some beautiful batiks I was looking for and they are fat quarters....the bundle has 24 FQ's in it for $55.....great I thought good price, ummmm until I went to the check out just to find out it was going to cost me $26.95 to ship...NOT!!!!!! I have ordered way more fabric and have never ever paid that much shipping ever...this was being shipped to Canada...wow will be certainly looking else where.....ok I will get of my high horse.....just need to vent...thanks for listening.....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48870-1.htm
    Here is a link to my information - I still have almost 1000 yards of batik for sale! I can usually "squish" in a little extra fabric than what I state in my post (if you don't mind it being wrinkled). Send me a private message for further information if you're interested. I hate high shipping costs and I keep open boxes in my house for customers that want to "fill 'em up" before I ship!!

I found a purse quilt pattern in Louisiana and I live in Mississippi. The shipping was over $7 and I didn't buy it.
    I found one on ebay and the shipping was $1.88 more like it.
    I don't think there should be a handling fee for go to a bin, picking up the pattern and putting it in an envelope. I always check shipping/handling fees.

Blog Entries
    I sell pretty consistently via EBay ... and am always too LOW on my quotes
    for shipping. So the difference is absorbed by me, deducted from my
    "profit".... if any. I continue to sell because of my love of sewing/creating.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    have anyone every asked why high shipping rates for an order.
    I have. My son told me it was because the post office is in BIG money trouble due to the internet, UPS and others.

Same for the newspapers. My paper this Monday AM was a joke. Like the magazines, there's too much advertising and not enuf news. I'm not renewing when my subscription runs out. My Dad was an old newspaper man from his teen years so I cut my teeth on linatype. First time in 82 years I will not have a daily. I get better news on the internet.

I never could figure out why a company charges postage and handling fees. If you have a business that requires your product to be "handled" (packaged) and shipped, why isn't that included in your product cost. I think this is a gimmick that some smart "numbers cruncher" thot up years ago to increase profit. We are being blackmailed. How else are we to get their product, by mule train?

Is that US shipping, or Canadian shipping. But either way, it sounds way to high. I ususally try to wait for one of the places I buy from to have a sale with "Free Shipping".

Blog Entries
    I wait for free shipping too - certainly makes it easier and I can also purchase more :)

Alaska is the same - some companies won't ship to AK because it's not in the "continental" US. I wonder what continent they think we're in? UPS is very expensive; if they won't ship USPS, I don't order.

Have the same problem with UK post. They try and charge the sender european rate when sending from the mainland to here. Idiots. I'm living in the UK not a foreign country.

That is exactly why we go to our local fabric stores. You don't have to pay shipping. Well, maybe we do in higher prices, b ut it is instant gratification, walking out with the fabric that you get to fondle. Can't fondle over the Internet, or catalog. also you can't trust the colors being right if you are trying to co-ordinate fabrics.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I always check shipping and handling charges before I complete an order. If it's way out of line, I don't finish the order. Some people want to get rich, and they think they can cheat on the shipping to do it!! Some vendors on eBay are really the worst with this. ALWAYS check the shipping on eBay before you bid...some of them are truly outrageous!!
    I agree and I sell on eBay! We pay a sellers fee based on the selling price but not the shipping. So they sell something for 99 cents and charge way too much for shipping. I have also cancelled orders when the shipping was out of line. I can get up to 7 yards into the flat rate envelope for $4.95. I add the shipping cost to the cost of the fabric and divide that by the number of yards. Then I make my buying decision.

WOW
    I would never order anything with those charges.

cjc
    ???????? It costs money to ship, so prices should be increased on eveybody, including those that shop in the store to cover this expense?

i have started to order stuff on the internet and when i get to the part about shipping and nandling sometimes it cost more than my order, i could never figure this out , i just cancell my order i figure it is there loss

http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL...IN=1&_fsub=-33

Crows Nest Quilting: flat rates for USA and Canada. no surprises!!!!!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL...IN=1&_fsub=-33

Crows Nest Quilting: flat rates for USA and Canada. no surprises!!!!!!!

(ooops)

Has anyone asked the companies why they are charging so much for shipping? Perhaps letting them know they are loosing orders because of the shipping might impress them.

I know what you mean about shipping costs to Canada. I buy alot of stuff from the US but I always check on the shipping. I too have not completed orders because of the high shipping costs. I buy my batiks from a company in California and they can get 9 yards of batiks in a flat rate Priority envelope so I always make sure I order 9 yards at a time. If I buy on Ebay I always confirm the shipping before I bid as I have seen many sellers who start with a low price but have high shipping costs to make their money. Keep looking as there are reputable sellers out there that won't gouge us on shipping just because we live in Canada.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
    If I buy on Ebay I always confirm the shipping before I bid as I have seen many sellers who start with a low price but have high shipping costs to make their money.
    As someone else posted... eBay takes their cut of the sale, based on the selling price of the item, NOT including the shipping. So to avoid eBay taking a huge percentage of the sale, some sellers decrease the item price and increase the shipping price. So if you're buying on eBay, never mind what the item price is versus the shipping price. Add the two together, and that's the number you want to work with, as far as figuring out if the total cost is good or bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    I never could figure out why a company charges postage and handling fees. If you have a business that requires your product to be "handled" (packaged) and shipped, why isn't that included in your product cost. I think this is a gimmick that some smart "numbers cruncher" thot up years ago to increase profit. We are being blackmailed. How else are we to get their product, by mule train?
    Ummmm... I suppose it's all in the way you view the numbers. If you view the shipping cost as being what the seller pays to USPS/Fedex/UPS... then the handling cost has to cover the box or envelope, bag, tape, and labels, bubble wrap, and any other packaging materials.

USPS provides free boxes for Priority Mail and Express Mail shipping. I think UPS and FedEx provide free boxes, but only for packages sent by air, not by ground (and shipping by air is very expensive with them, so they cover the cost of the "free" boxes in their rate structure). Unless it's a teeny box, it probably costs that business between 75 cents and a dollar to buy the box they're shipping their products in.

You are correct, though, in that the cost will either come through as "handling" or be built into the item cost. I can think of good reasons for doing it either way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gertie
    Hello btiny36,
    I feel like ranting with you!!!!
    A couple of months ago I ordered some Jinny Beyer fabrics, which I can't buy in England. I ordered $63 worth because My shipping would only be $8 ( an offer for July only! ).
    When eventually 4 weeks later I received a card from our local post office informing me they couln't deliver my parcel untill I had paid the customs charge of 15 , about $22 !!!! To cut a long story short, it turned out that half of it was VAT and the other half was Royal Mail charges!! Needless to say , I won't do that again. Mad Gertie from Kent
    I feel sorry for anyone in the UK that's importing fabric. You certainly do get hit with a lot of fees. Supposedly there is a way for you to act as your own customs broker and avoid some of the fees. If anyone reading this has tried that route, it would be interesting to know how that worked for you!

Power Poster
    Wow the shipping sure will get you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast