Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my lqs is closing, and "my" bernina is on layaway there..help!! >

my lqs is closing, and "my" bernina is on layaway there..help!!

my lqs is closing, and "my" bernina is on layaway there..help!!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
Hi everyone-

I just rec'd an email from my LQS--they are closing their doors as of june 30. i have a demo/classroom bernina 450 on lawaway there. my original plan was to pick it up on 7/1 when i recieve a company bonus. However, i'll have to bail it out sooner. I'd like everyone's thoughts...my concerns are:

who will now service my machine. i do not know if the quilt shop has made arrangements for this.
who will now provide me with my new bernina owner classes? I think bernina calls them "mastery" classes.

I now have a lot of reservations about buying this machine. if i have a problem, do i even have recourse? what do you all think????

the flip side is, I could ask for my money back and go to a different dealer, or buy a different machine. I'm a viking owner now, I could buy a new viking and in all liklihood, be very happy.

Betsey
Here is an great example of why I don't deal much with local smaller businesses anymore-especially with sewing machines. I buy from the larger chains with a good long term (at least 3 months) return policy. I also buy simple mechanical sewing machines that are cheaper purchased new than if you take them somewhere to be serviced. I generally service it myself periodically (keep it clean inside & out, stored in a hard case when not in use, & oil it if needed-although the 2 present ones I use now are permanently lubricated at the factory). I usually keep the sewing machine in question 10-25 years (average 18 years) with hard use! What do I need to be depended on stores that always seem to disappear from the landscape or even that I move away?

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I have a Bernina which I love ! The LQS where I purchased It moved to another state but made arrangements for any thing I needed (or any of their Bernina owner customers) to be handled at the next closest Bernina dealer. We all miss them terribly but our Berninas are well cared for and are excellent machines.
i think this is key...your original dealership made arrangements with the closest dealer. this one did not, and will not. but it's all ok...everything works out in the end.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM

I too am curious what you will end up doing. Is it a particularly involved and advanced machine? Glad you are thinking about this now!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM

I would definitely email Bernina. I like getting things in writing so I have some kind of recourse if needed.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I bought my Bernina used, out of warranty. If a good brand of machine has been sewn on a lot for a few years, there is rarely any major problems with it. I saved thousands of dollars. Online free Bernina sewing classes and many forums have all the answers to my questions how to use it. I don't like even walking in a sewing machine dealer shop anymore.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM

If you're going to be nervous about it, I'd get my money back and go with what you know.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Shop Closing

According to a friend of mine that just bought a new 820 Bernina at the Paducah show..she said Bernina pays the shop..any shop that carries Bernina machines for the classes you take on learning your machine. Guess now you need to see how close the next Bernina dealer is from you. Viking are great machines. I have the mega quilter but I don't think they are as great of a machine as Bernina. Sorry all you Viking owners!! LOL I don't even own a Bernina either. I thought about buying one..but decided that my vintage machines would last a lot longer....wouldn't have to take classes to learn how to operate them..nor would I have to take them to the shop to be cleaned once a year. I could save that money and spend it on something else..fabric!!! and clean my own machine. Just my .02 for what it's worth
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM

So glad that all things are resolved and you have your choice on its way.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
So glad that all things are resolved and you have your choice on its way.
Thank you so much! truth be told, I think i made an excellent choice...even better than the bernina, for my wants and needs. so it all worked out!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Betsey,
Contact your LQS ask all the questions and request in writing if you get the right answers and decide to make the purchase. I would ask for a contact person at Bernina that can confirm your questions
The shop should continue to make someone available to offer mastery classes. If there is another dealer close they should contact them and make arragements for service. Contact Bernina they will take care of their customers and give you reliable information.
If you contact me I will give you a number. I sold bernina machines for years and found them to be reliable and customer friendly. Bernina is one of the best on the market. Good luck.