Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Featherweight

Dear Friends:

I was given a Featherweight for Christmas this last year. I had been shopping with my daughters for our "annual Christmas Shopping Fun Day" and found it at a thrift store we went into. I drooled and fumed...I couldn't justify spending my Christmas money on myself...so I walked away. On Christmas day, it was the final gift of the day presented (all ten of the children made a big production of the presentation :D ......and yes, I said ten...yes I have ten children...all mine...all from one marriage...no twins :P (those are the most common questions I get..and their answers 8-) 8-) ))

ok...but back to the topic here!!!!! I was messing around last night (she sews like a dream) and noticed a small metal decal on the machine that said "1851-1951 100 yrs of sewing" Does this mean that my Featherweight was produced as a 100 yr celebration piece???? :!: :!:

I mean, I was just wondering....ya'll here have made me so aware of looking closely at what I have, now I can't wait to dig out all the other Singers I have collected and really look at them closely.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated ;) ;)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you've got the Centennial model!

http://singer-featherweight.class221...ory/1950-1959/

What a great present from your kids! :o) And yep, sounds like a centennial model to me!

You've got a Centennial model,that's what you have!!! Congrats

Where's the photo's...we love photo's of our classic's

What a great gift! Mom of TEN, what an accomplishment!

Congrats on the machine! I have 6 kids...all one husband and no twins so I get those questions too. You know the question that aggravates me the most? "You know how that happens don't you?" I have heard that one a zillion times! I now just smile and answer "Yes, that's why we have them!"

I Have a FW that was born the same year I was.:) OH, and my mom used to get the same questions for us 11 kids. I am a twin though!

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    Congrats on the machine! I have 6 kids...all one husband and no twins so I get those questions too. You know the question that aggravates me the most? "You know how that happens don't you?" I have heard that one a zillion times! I now just smile and answer "Yes, that's why we have them!"
    Yep...me too...heard that question allllllllll the time :x :x :x

So, I finally decided to come up with an answer that was just as nosey......

Using my sly-est expression ( 8-) ) I would say..
    "Uh huh, we do.....any we're having a marvelous time 8-) 8-) :wink: :wink: "

Shut them up everytime....most folks turned red :oops: :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Where's the photo's...we love photo's of our classic's
    oh oh....the pain of confession.....I am so computer dysfunctional, that I no idea of how to take a pic with my cell phone (or where the digital camera is cause my kids keep running off with it :? ) and transfer it to my computer...... :oops: :oops:

I am sorry....if one of my smarter kids can help one day soon, I will post a pic.....please forgive :oops: :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    now I can't wait to dig out all the other Singers I have collected and really look at them closely.
    Oh do tell us about the others! We LOVE pictures too.

Lucky you, what a nice gift!

Congrats on your new "baby"! Did you name her yet? :)

now thats the best gift in the world...

you got something that you wanted and it will definitely be used forever!

Yea, goody for you and 10 children. How you are so blessed. I am the last of 8 and none of us were twins. I had a wonderful childhood and wonderful memories. Hope you enjoy your featherweight. I have one of those cuties but mine is not the same as your model. Post pictures of you can. Happy quilting. :thumbup:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    People say such stupid things. When I had my third son people were forever saying "When are you going to have your girl?"
    Nit-wits!!!!
    I love your story and am so happy you got a Featherweight!!!!!
    You are going to have a wonderful time!!! :D:D:D

Congrats on your new baby.....the black metal one! (and congrats on your big family and raising your 10 children, I think it is wonderful! And it sounds like they all get along and love their mother....what a blessing!

Yes! I have a Cennty Too. 8-)

Congrats! I have a Centennial, too. Love them all.

Oh boy!! What a great surprise that must have been (the FW...not the babies :D) Get one of those kids to help you post a picture of it :-D

I come from a family of 5 kids and had 4 myself. Then when they were grown I didn't feel as if I was done being a mom so I adopted a couple more :shock: and to keep those 2 company I also foster 3 more. I love having a large family!!!

Blog Entries
    Lucky you, I want one so bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    People say such stupid things. When I had my third son people were forever saying "When are you going to have your girl?"Nit-wits!!!!
    Golly, do the idiots think we get to CHOOSE? Though I guess you can select the sex now if you want to mess with God's plan....

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    People say such stupid things. When I had my third son people were forever saying "When are you going to have your girl?"Nit-wits!!!!
    Golly, do the idiots think we get to CHOOSE? Though I guess you can select the sex now if you want to mess with God's plan....
    Yes, my friend, I totally agree!!
    I have 3 healthy sons and am forever grateful!! :thumbup:
    However, my Mom didn't get her wish " I hope you have a daughter just like you when you grow up") ( when I was being bratty hahaha)

Blog Entries
    Big congratulations!!!! I was expecting to see a photo. I love seeing vintage machine.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new addition. What wonderful children you have. They really tuned into what Mom wanted! If you have blue on the medallion it is likely a Centennial. The other
    Centennial that I know of was from Texas State Fair. That would have a band of Red on the medallion and it does say State Fair of Texas.

I found a wonderful book with so much information. Its written by Nancy Johnson-Srebro "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable and Its Stitches Across History."

I couldn't stop with one and now have five in my sewing room. They travel well and are used alot! Probably more than my Bernina!! They are sooo sweet and a good machine. Congratulations! Enjoy using it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast