Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving >

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM

What kind and useful words are here. So full of compassion, understanding and love of creation. I find you all masters of wisdom.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Why does everyone in my family think that I should be making something immediately after I acquire some new
fabric ??? I do have a lot of a stash but do I or can I make things as fast as possible as does my knitting daughter...

I have only begun to be able to sit and sew again after nearly five years of surgery and therapy for torn rotator cuffs and knee replacements and serious pain from arthritis. I have a lot of fabric from internet play (!!) while lying
around for months. Somehow the comments from husband and daughter are getting to me as I try to get skills back
and try a few classes again. I need some help with some snappy answers or explanations because I am losing my
usual cool over these jabs.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
So it's okay then? lol Maybe I should just change my focus to baby and kids. I seem to be drawn to the happiness of those fabrics and patterns.

Here is a little view of my grandson's curtains.

They are adorable, so cheery! I love the way you did the tabs. I did all our curtains and drapes in our last house, and the fabrics gave me so much pleasure to look at for those ten years. I feel the same way about my upholstery fabrics.

But I only feel sad to cut up a fabric if it is beautiful, like the Asians, or a stunning floral.

The whole-cloth quilt a poster mentioned is an idea, but I have never seen one done in a stunning print. I wonder if that would work.

Meanwhile, I think you should do what makes your heart glad.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

well, I have over the years amassed quite a stash and like you, I don't want to make things for others
bc I feel obligated to "not waste".
If there is no joy in what your doing...it's that simple - there's no joy.
Do what make you happy.
I actually intend to make some things with very large pieces and I also intend to do a lot more
sewing that is NOT quilting.
I've always loved sewing and have been realizing lately that I miss it.
Somehow, being on quiltboards has made me feel like I had to choose a side.
Hogwash!
I was mullygrubbing to my oldest dd one day about buyer's remorse and she said,
"Mama, if buying those things made you happy and having them and dreaming of what you could do,
even if you can't do it all, you have been happy and that's all that matters now.
You can't undo it, but you enjoyed it. It served a purpose and is there if you ever feel differently."
Did I mention how smart she is?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Someone may have already suggested it, but take a look at the BQ quilt patterns that allow you to use your large print fabrics without lots of cutting into smaller pieces ... you might like that pattern
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 AM

One bin of fabrics is not a "crisis". Some fabric needs to age like fine wine. Your curtains are so cheerful. Let the rest sit and enjoy "petting" it, if that makes you happy go for it.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM

As we go thru life, our tastes and desires change. That's as it should be. I wouldn't stress over the small amount of stash that you are saving. Just let it set, it will one day jump and say, make me into......... For now, find something else that makes you happy.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM

I sew because I love to. I love to make garments, home decor, gifts, quilts, if you can sew it I can make it. I love the fabric but it is best to see it made up and being used. Fabric on shelves and in boxes is lonely and needs attention and is only happy once it has been used to create something wonderful. You just need to decide are you a fabric collector (my mom was) or do you enjoy the creative process where you make things. It doesn't have to be just quilts. What ever you decide it has to make you happy.