Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving >

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM

I have lulls in my sewing also,and I too have my-I can not cut them yet fabrics.Not an issue for me.I hoard some and use some.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM

And I would add that beautiful fabric has been a "first love" for me as far back as I can remember. So collecting fabric, whether I ever use it or not, is probably more of a passion for me than actually making things with it. But I certainly enjoy having it handy when I do want to make something!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM

I go thru periods when all I want to do is quilt, I go to sleep with a pattern on my mind and wake up the same way, but then there are times when i don't want to go near my sewing room. I have learned that when sewing becomes a chore instead of a pleasure, it is time to take a break. Sooner or later, I will get inspired again, so just wait until that happens. When i sew when I'm forcing it, I make mistakes.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 AM

Just walk away for a while.
Do something else, read a book, etc.
Then come back to sewing, quilting, etc.
*** We all need a break sometimes.
If you love the fabric, just look at it & enjoy.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM

I have fabrics from as far back as the late 60's that I wont get rid of. I have several hobby's I enjoy. My problem is I really get into what I am doing and stay at it until I burn myself out. When I do this I stop and go into something else. I stay away from it until one day I get the urge to do it again. All it takes is a new line of beautiful fabrics and I just have to create something from them. I had stayed away from garment sewing for a long while then my DGD came along and now I am having so much fun making little dresses and clothes for her. I find that when I tell myself I have to use a fabric or make a quilt before I move on to another one I loose interest and don't want to do it. If I put it away and start working on a new project that I am excited about I really get into it and enjoy it.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I have been sewing since I was in high school, and made aprons and other simple items before that. After learning how to follow a pattern, I made 90% of my clothing for years and years. Then I moved on to crocheting, knitting, all kinds of various crafts, from ceramics to dried flowers, etc., etc., and then I discovered quilting. I made all kinds of stuffed dolls, with a focus on Raggedy Ann dolls, and when my daughter was born, I made clothes for her as well, plus curtains, etc., etc. I may go back to some of those from time to time, but I love to quilt, wall hangings, kitchen items, quilts, bags, etc. Do whatever pleases you, and don't feel that you have to use up every scrap of your fabric in the next year or two. Sometimes fabric has to age, like fine wine, or so I'm told. In the last couple of years I have not been able to quilt for a variety of medical reasons, and I literally went into withdrawal, so I quilt, therefore I am; but I do it because I love it and so should you.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Default Done with that -- suddenly

After teaching all aspects of sewing, pattern making, etc. on the college level and being national president of a sewing organization, I just didn't want to make clothes anymore. The excitement had gone out of it.

I gave away nearly all my clothing fabric so I'd have more room for quilting -- quilting was a challenge, not always a pleasure, but always kept my interest and passion. I am completely happy with the change, the need to learn more and of course, the thrill of the hunt for exactly that right fabric.

Sally S
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Maybe you have a little case of "burn-out." It is easy to have happen.
Recently I decided I was going to help someone else with a Community Quilt. Our guild makes these for groups here in town who have clients who have very little. Children who end up at the Police and Fire Station because the parents drink, do drugs, should have never been parents in the firs place. It is hard to believe.
Helping someone else with our quilting is so fulfilling. They don't have to be any certain pattern. I am making one now out of left-over strips, HST's, 5" squares, ect. It will help someone, I know.
We also make Doll Quilts and give them to the Salvation Army for the little girls dolls at Christmas. We made 160 last year, and I guess the ceremony for the little girls was very moving. So many people just barely exist, it makes me thankful I can help them in some small way.
Mariah
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Whatever causes you "great sadness" needs to go! Especially when it's something you totally have control over. You don't have to cut and quilt over another piece of favorite fabric... ever. But what will you do with it instead? Whatever makes you happy is what you should spend your time creating.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are enjoying other things right now, don't stress about it. Love what you do and do what you love!
__________________________________________________ __________________
I agree ...