Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving >

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Having read the thread, I agree with all the advice. I, also, know that staying in a sewing room for hours and days, can become isolating to a person. You are probably a "master" of all types of sewing since you have been doing it so long. Perhaps, leaving the sewing room for a spell and get out and being with others not involved in sewing, like learning something totally new; ie... sky diving (LOL!), master gardener, playing an instrument, auditing a class at a local community college, reading to a senior in a retirement home, etc... Just something to get you out of the sewing frame of mind for a while without giving everything away. There's a whole "nother" world out there that, perhaps, you might like to discover and then find sewing all things is what you love, or not. Follow your heart...
Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM

try making things for random folks - whenever I feel a bit of a burnout coming, I make soft toys (animals, dolls, blocks) for a local shelter. I have also taken smaller bits of flannel and made tug toys and catnip balls for a local pet shelter. It is a great break from quilts and clothes, they assemble very quickly and the recipients are so very, very happy to get them - it sort of refills your tank!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I
So my question to you is: have you ever been sewing right along and then one day you put down your needle and ask yourself if this is really what you want to do? Or do you keep sewing what you sew because of the time and money you have invested in fabric forces you to, or because you have promised so many things to so many people you just have to keep on?

If this has happened to you, how did you readjust?
Not about sewing. But I have spent hours "couponing" and then got frustrated because it felt like the only thing I did all day was bargain hunt/coupon for things I didn't even really want. So, I've had to reevaluate and ask myself, "Do I really want to spend my days shopping for bargains?" (for things I don't want/use---but just to be able to say I got it?" I've had to say, "No, I don't want to." Now, I'm trying to shop for things I either need or just want (like fabric).

At this point, I can't imagine being where you are, but there is no shame in changing interests/energy. My mom told me I could have her fabric because she really doesn't want to even sew anymore. I've brought almost all of it over here to Poland and used a lot of it already in charity quilts.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM

As long as what you love does something to make you happy go for it and come back to sewing/quilting later or not at all if that's what you want. I really hope that's the case.
However I'm going to to add something different. If you find that what makes you happy is to sit staring at the walls all day and you can't remember what you were thinking about OR if you don't want to get out of bed, please consider that you may be suffering from depression and find someone to talk to be it MD, counselor, priest or minister. Only you and possibly your family or close friend know whether or not that subject is in play.

What ever you decide, I wish you all the best. Joyce in DE
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM

I agree with so many of the comments. Love what you do. For years I was so sorry I sold my french horn. I finally rented one for two months. The last month it really just 'sat there'. I decided I have done that , was good at it, did not have to 'go back' and have decided to go forward. I enjoy quilting, hand embroidery, making banners for our church, hairpin lace, may even do some huck toweling (swedish weaving), which I did in the late 50's. I garden, go on trips, one can do many things for enjoyment.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:36 PM

So it's okay then? lol Maybe I should just change my focus to baby and kids. I seem to be drawn to the happiness of those fabrics and patterns.

Here is a little view of my grandson's curtains.
What a gorgeous quilt for a little boy! I agree we should only do what is fun and we enjoy when it comes to hobbies. I still enjoy quilting but have to take occasional breaks and do something else.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Having nearly exhausted the list of thread and needle arts I have done in the past, I came late in life to quilting. I have never been able to walk through a fabric store without feeling all the fabric. Kind of like looking at it in Braille! But my passion for fiber art is only matched by my love of reading. I alternate the two and it kind of keeps me sane.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 AM

Yes, this is now happening to me. Maybe the cost of quilting fabric pushed me into it, but I'm just enjoying playing with my "stash". The list is long for what people have asked me to make, but my hearts not into it. Right now I'm making things in my "I would like to make sometime" folder. Totes out of some really neat fabrics. Covers with pen and notepads for hostess gifts, pin cushions, placemats and napkins, curtains, hot pads, vests, mug rugs. Just fun stuff that show off my favorite fabrics. It's so nice having a nice hostess gift handy too! I have a really nice fancy sewing machine and never really took the time to learn all it can do. Nows the time...and I'm enjoying sewing again.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Variety is the spice of life! Create what makes you smile inside. Just hang on to your fabric, and one day you may feel the "need" to go at it with gusto. Be happy making others happy. Love the curtains!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 AM

THIS is why I feel so lost...I've tried all that has interested me and now I'm back to cross stitch, which is another long love - almost 30 years! - but I feel as though I need to grow into something else but I don't know what. I feel like I'm wandering in the craft world but don't know what to try next. I have been spending quite a bit of time in Pinterest and there are so many things that I love but nothing is making me sit up and say "THAT! That is what I want to do!" Geez, I hope I don't sound whiny, lol.
What you're talking about here is cycles and our lives are made of up of cycles...some of them are repeats from earlier years and some are new. It also sounds like your "shoulding" on yourself. In other words, you feel an obligation to be "doing something" that matters. What if I told you that you're in the middle of growing a new you, or that you have custody over a handful of flowers that are in bud not bloom? Could you relax enough to Allow yourself to birth or bloom? That's what I think this is about. The answer will come when you let go and let whatever is quietly percolating to gain form. BTW...those curtains are fantastic! I can see why you love to look at the fabric you have. BUT, it's not the fabric, it's the beauty that fabric represents that stirs your soul. So, you're actually alive and well and hearing the Soul Call of you. It will be fine, you'll see....