Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving >
  • My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

• My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM

I do this with everything. I've been wrapping my stash on comic boards and lining it up in my cabinet and I can't even imagine cutting into any of it. How will I ever use it.

Same with scrapbook paper.
    Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Sew what you want to sew. It is your fabric, your time, your inclinations. I stopped quilting for a few years when my grandkids were born - was just crazy to sew clothes for them. Now my grandboy is a bit too old for sewing for him - 7 yo and very peer conscious -, but my grandgirl is still just the right age - 4 yo. So I spend about 50/50 of my time quilting and /or sewing for kid.s There are no rules - you have at least one sewing machine, you have fabric and I'm assuming you have time. Sew what speaks to you. Sew what you love, and sew for those who you love.
    Make YOURSELF happy with your sewing!!!
    Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM

Sew what makes you happy. Sorry for not reading all the responses yet but here's my take. Make some jammies for the grands; maybe some potholders or kitchen appliance covers? Get to see your beautiful fabrics and get something useful in the process. Maybe some deco pillows? Use up those large pieces in a way that is pleasing to you.

I, too, do not maintain but a small stash for some 'emergency' blocks or the like. Otherwise just buy for projects with a bit extra of each fabric for that project. Those leftovers are my only stash. Helps with testing new techniques or blocks; making fabric boxes for gifts or the like.
    Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
    Power Poster

I have a fair number of fabrics that I have bought in the last few years. Some I have yet to use. I looked at several just the other day. I will someday, but there is no rush. If I do not use them in the time I have on this planet, someone else will have a treasure. I just like looking at them sometimes.
    Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM

I do what I enjoy as life is too short to stress about things I don't want to do. Follow your passion as they can change with time.
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 AM

I fully understand your predicament. After pursuing many types of handwork over the past 25+ years, I have learned that there is a "cycle" of interest & boredom with most endeavors. This past year, I pieced quilts & reorganized my sewing room until by Thanksgiving, I was DONE. I took a break until something caught my fancy, & ,now, am off and running again. Remember, this is RECREATION, it is meant to help us recover our joy in life. Move on to something else until you can't help but get back to quilting. Good luck!
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    Who says you have to cut your fabric into little pieces? There are many whole cloth patterns around. And for that matter, who says you have to do anything with the fabric in that bin--at least right now. Take a break from your sewing room and just let everything 'rest' for a while. An idea will come to you one day and you will know what your next endeavour will be.

Over the years I have taken many breaks. I no longer sew clothing because I just do not enjoy it. I have repurposed much of my clothing fabric--to the great joy of a few charities. I have a basket of batiks that I just cannot bear to cut up. They make me happy just as they are--for now--and that is okay with me. Someday I will find a way of using them that will also make me happy. I am in no hurry.

The one thing I have learned is that i will not like the result if I do not like the process. I am at the stage in my life that I want to do things that make ME happy. Right now it is working on my niece's wedding quilt because she is an awesome person who deserves my best attempt--not because it is something I SHOULD do.

Take a breath and relax. You don't have to decide anything today.
    I LOVE this philosophy. There are NO fabric judges out there. Do what makes YOU happy & the "joy" of sewing will return, maybe not today but it will return............take a few deep breaths & more importantly, RELAX & enjoy your break!!!
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM

although i'm a quilting newbie, i'm not a crafting newbie. my first love is knitting.

i completely understand what you're saying.
    i have made some serious adjustments in my yarn stash. i've lost my mojo, i've even had some serious funks. oh, and i've also been "forced" to re-evaluate my gift-worthy list of recipients.

i say all of that to say this... ride it out! if you don't want to sew, don't. if you don't want to cut up the fabric, don't. enjoy the things you've already made. let your creativity speak to you when you're both ready.
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 AM

Someone wrote here recently, you don't expect a stamp collector to use the stamps and you don't expect a coin collector to spend the coins so why should it be expected that fabriholics should use their fabric. Sound like this is what you've become so enjoy your fabric and don't cut it unless you change your mind. As to the sewing, only do it if it's enjoyable. BFF & I have both gone through times when we couldn't get motivated to actually sew. Friend's loss of mojo lasted around six months but she is working on her quilts once again.
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 AM

We all experience the waxing and waning of sewing/hobby interests. I find that I go back and forth between quilting on a daily basis to wanting to read-I have a fabric stash and a large collection of books to prove it! I have reached a point of quilting just because I love it. Sometimes I have no one in mind when I make a pretty quilt. I do it just because I love doing it. If family want to keep it when I pass away that is fine but I won't know the difference if they don't. I do it because I just love to sew and quilt. We all have to spend 24 hours every day doing something-or nothing. I make lots of things to give away and always try to participate in efforts to make quilts for organizations. But I keep going and love doing it but I don't let myself think that I do it because I have to. Do what you enjoy for at least a part of every day. Some are able to focus on one or two things, others just have lots and lots of interests and don't focus for too long on any one thing. It is OK to change and go back or never go back.