Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving >

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
THIS is why I feel so lost...I've tried all that has interested me and now I'm back to cross stitch, which is another long love - almost 30 years! - but I feel as though I need to grow into something else but I don't know what. I feel like I'm wandering in the craft world but don't know what to try next. I have been spending quite a bit of time in Pinterest and there are so many things that I love but nothing is making me sit up and say "THAT! That is what I want to do!" Geez, I hope I don't sound whiny, lol.
Gracious, you are aware, it is perfectly OK to not have a hobby? It is OK NOT to have something to do, that sometimes it is OK to just sit and look at pretty things? Why do you have to have a hobby? why do you have to have an interest right this moment that you spend all your spare time doing? Who's rules are those? Cause they need a punch in the nose

Why dont you just do what makes you happy today, today. And tomorrow, do what makes you happy tomorrow.... and for goodness sake give yourself permission that those two things can be different!

My guess, you are about to enter a growth phase in your life. So right now you are "looking" for the direction of the growth. You can either cause yourself a lot of angst and stress by worrying about what is going to happen. Or you can just let it go. Growth is important but if you force it, you will cause yourself unnecessary stress. Just enjoy life. Look at different crafts, see what sparks your interest. If nothing does.....well try something else? How about travel? what about geo-caching? or taking virtual trips? Bike riding? Nature walks? Museum visits? There is literally a world out there of interesting things, take this time to enjoy finding a new adventure

OH and I bought some fabric that I just couldnt cut up either, it was too pretty. I just put a couple borders on and quilted it on the gold lines Gave it to my mom, she loves it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_06361_zpsb4d997f7.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Darling curtains! I've thought the same thing myself, and I've taken breaks. Nothing wrong with that. Eventually the fabric calls me back though or I see something that inspires me. At least it doesn't sound like you have a huge stash.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

We are human BEINGS - not human DOINGS.

If you took a trip, went to a show - the money would have been spent.

For those of us that buy crafts supplies - we have evidence of what we spent our money on. - if the stuff is around - and out of the way - so what?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM

lol, oh Bear, I'm going to have to use that one. I am a human being, not a human doing ;-)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM

I only do any of the crafts I enjoy such as, Quilting, needlepoint, counted cross stitch and knitting. Just to name a few....I do them as long as I am in the mood and still enjoying it. Otherwise I don't work on any of them.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Taking a break from quilting is perfectly natural...and the favorite fabrics....roll them up and tie with pretty ribbon and display them in a basket...just waiting for the day (or maybe never) when they become a beautiful quilt, wall hanging, napkin, placemat or bag. No rush...

When you are ready to quilt again...if and when....the beautiful fabrics you have saved will be there waiting.

Last edited by Stitch124; 03-05-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Gosh, your curtains are really cute. The buttons and rick rack really add a lot.

Have you looked @ Pinterest? There are tons of cute ideas for home decor, bags, chilldren's things... Many will have links to blogs with great tutorials.

I grew up sewing, long before rotary cutting. The one quilt I started with a ruler, pencil and scissors never did get finished. Then I moved on to counted cross stitch and have several nice pieces I completed.

From there I went to paper crafts and was even a Stampin' Up demonstrator for a few years. When I realized what I was spending, both time-wise and in money and accepted that they would usually end up in the trash (not scrap books, but cards and smaller paper projects), I quickly tired of doing it and got rid of most everything, giving most of it away. Oddly, I do miss it every now and again, especially when I get a gorgeous hand made paper item from a co-worker.

Lately, I've looked at my stash and just not felt like doing a thing. yet I will still shop, which is ridiculous. I think my creative juices have just ebbed at this point in my life; I am still working full time, have had a few health problems this year, and both of our daughters are going through their own issues - which saps my energy!

If you aren't enjoying the process, move on to other things that you do enjoy. Unless you are doing this for a business, it's not something you MUST do. Find other creative outlets you want to pursue - like the darling curtains you've shown us - and enjoy those.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM

Carolyn has wise words - and a beautiful quilt, too. That is gorgeous fabric, and cutting it up would have diminished it. There is a quilt book or pattern, I think, called "Just Can't Cut It.
"
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Like many of the others mentioned, I have switched between projects and that seems to give me more incentive and interested in quilting projects.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM

I met a woman recently that lost here house and land in a fire. It had been two years and yet she had not made a single thing that mattered to her since. I myself have spent months, even years doing little besides going to work and coming home. I was lost after the holidays and things in my life hadn't gone the way I had hoped. I saw a quilt in a magazine and decided to make it. It is the first project in 3 years I have made that I didn't design. and know I am averaging two blocks a week! I hope you can find something that excites you. that makes you feel alive. go with your gut and trust God to lead the way. You will be better for it.