Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Old Kentucky Home >

My Old Kentucky Home

My Old Kentucky Home

Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM

I think that's "beautiful women" not "wild women"!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.
I love driving through Kentucky! You might remember there were the miners and the horse races and lots creeks, rivers and trees everywhere. Remember the pioneers and log cabins and so much more...

You might take this approach:

http://www.oregoncoastalquilters.org...estofShow.html
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 AM

Wow, that was really beautiful. But way out of my expertise. I'm having trouble w/this whole challenge thing because I'm not a "creative" quilter. I really prefer traditional patterns, and obviously, traditional isn't going to make it. I may just scrap the whole idea of participating cause it's giving me a royal headache. There are so many other things that I want to do instead of churn over this.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Living in Kentucky we do have Abraham Lincoln's original log cabin house from his youth here. Of course the derby things, and blue grass but I don't see those things as much of a representation as being Lincoln's birth state is.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Hatfields & McCoys, shotgun wedding, Colonel Sanders and KFC, John James Audabon (spelling is wrong I know)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 AM

How about the Kentucky Derby theme and make various hats for the blocks. You could really play up the hats with great fabrics and embellish with feathers, beads and lace. Could be a fun theme.
Donna
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 AM

I live about 30 miles from My Old Kentucky Home which is in Bardstown, KY. Kentucky is a very pretty state with its mountains, trees, friendly people, basketball, horse racing, southern charm, big old homes with wrap-around porches, whiskey/bourbon, fairs and festivals, Colonel Sanders, Abe Lincoln. My Old Kentucky Home is a colonial house with 13 windows in the front which represent the 13 colonies, Stephen Foster's cabin / law office sits in front of it, women in their southern bells dresses, horse drawn carriages. If you need any brochures, I would be happy to send you some if that would help or you can call the Kentucky Tourism and they will send you whatever you need. Whatever you make I know you will do us Kentuckians proud.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Ditto to looking up Stephen Foster. You should find pics and infomation that may help. Also, try your library for books on him with pictures.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm thinking of the outline of the state of Kentucky in the background and a horse in the foreground and Abe Lincoln's cabin on the opposite side. I've got lots of ideas thanks to you great folks. Now I have to sit down and put it all together. Tomorrow's the starting day. Wish me luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mimiquilter View Post
Kentucky is home to "good bourbon, fast horses and wild women"...that may expand your horizons a little, especially the good bourbon and wild women.
And there is a song there!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-24-2017 at 02:57 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS