Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Old Kentucky Home >

My Old Kentucky Home

My Old Kentucky Home

Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 AM

I live in Kentucky! Kentucky is known for Barbecue and Burgoo as in a large black steaming kettle, our Bourbon is world known, They make the Corvette in Bowling Green, KY, The Louisville Slugger bat is made in Louisville, of course horses in the Bluegrass area with the Kentucky Horse Park, Mammoth Cave is in Cave City, Churchill Downs in Louisville, The Quilt Museum is in Paducah, Amish in Munfordville/Marion area, Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkeley, Buffalo once roamed our state, Sheep and Mutton dishes, corn, tobacco and soybeans are widely grown, The Ohio River is our northern border and the Mississippi River borders the western part of our state, University of Kentucky and Univeristy of Louisville Basketball, The Cardinal is our state bird, we raise cattle, hogs, sheep, the state is a large part agricultural so farmed fields would be good, we are a commonwealth instead of a state, Goldenrod is our state flower, Barn Quilts are everywhere in eastern KY and are growing fast in western KY where I live. black tobacco barns are found in KY and I don't believe anywhere else, Mohammed Ali is from Louisville (boxing gloves),etc. Hope this helps you out!! I sure do want to see your quilt when it's finished!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Mammoth Cave, Natural Bridge, Cumberland Falls (only Moonbow in the Northern Hemisphere), Jefferson Davis Monument, Fort Knox, and Daniel Boone National Forest.
Not that anyone cares, but I saw a MOONBOW just outside Calhoun, Ky 30 or so years ago around 9 PM after a rain.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 AM

There is some really good information about KY on this page, ie state bird, state flag, etc:

http://www.50states.com/kentucky.htm#.UEYUdqM-GvY
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Wow I am humbled by the response. You all (Y'all) have given me some great ideas. A friend here gave me some pieces of fabric that I am going to use. I printed out the outline of Kentucky. I'll increase the size and applique a piece of "blue grass" to it. Then I think I'll use a tan-colored horse in a pasture and try to find a picture of the cabin. I love the bourbon angle, and of course Abe Lincoln. I did google Kentucky and My Old Kentucky Home before I posted, but the ideas just were falling into place. Now they're just zooming. You guys are terrific! Thanks a whole bunch.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-24-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM

I did a Google search (what a great tool!) and came across a quilt pattern by the name, 'My Old Kentucky Home' by Bonnie Blue quilts. Don't know how inspired you are - - - maybe buy a copy of the pattern and make one of the blocks?? Check out her site. You might get some other ideas. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Quilt on!

Jane
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=alisonquilts;5485672]Blue grass pastures, white rail fences, mint julep, large white hats, wraparound porches...

I agree. My grandson lives there and it is all of the above...lots of beautiful pasture and white rail fences with lovely old large white houses and wraparound porches and flower galore!. Beautiful countryside.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM

How about a bottle of bourbon?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM

By the time I get this done, I'll need one!!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
A whiskey keg? A bottle of Jack Daniels?? The possibilities are endless! I like this angle...
sorry, spokanequilter... Jack Daniels is Tennessee sippin'whiskey!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.
Ya know I think I'd copy the song onto muslin , on the printer , then use those in the quilt. Also , print out some of the old pictures of the plantations and use them. I think I'd also use some of the old dresses like in Gone with the wind. JUst my thinking.