Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"my patterns"?????????????? >

"my patterns"??????????????

"my patterns"??????????????

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting a long time. All patterns look a tad different from the old patterns, looks like someone just changed something a little and used different colors and fabrics.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Ok, in saying all of the above but...who lays claims to the pattern "Drunkards Path"!! Ha!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Apparently you have not read HER rules about using HER PATTERNS!
Yep, I even emailed her about using elements of some of her patterns in a quilt to sell and she told me no, they are hers and not to be made for any profit. Ever. But wouldn't that be my own design if I take a part of this block, add a piece of that one and mix in different colors?? As the finished block wouldn't have been hers or even on her site. Still the same, she is very particular about how you use any of her stuff. That's why I no longer go there or to a few other sites, I work out my own "blocks" using this or that from other blocks in the numerous books I have. I even spent 3 days designing my own, one-of-a-kind block and then ran across it on the 'net. Can you imagine my sheer frustration and then disappointment as I realized everything has been done before and someone, somewhere claims it as theirs. How are we s'posed to be creative if we can't use anything out there someone else lays claim to? This is why I no longer care, I just make what I want, when I want and how I want and do with it whatever I feel. Who can prove that I copied theirs any more than I can prove I came up with it all on my own? It's too confusing and really puts a damper on quilting at all, imho. But I usually am in error so that's just the way it is.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM

The Twister pattern was also published in the 60s and 70s, which were probably 'inspired' by a much earlier pattern.

There are many resources that have documented the publishing of early patterns like Jinny Beyer's book called The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns which shows over 5000 patterns and their different names that they were known as.

These blocks are in the public domain but in today's busy world, 'usually', the 'average' quilter/sewer isn't interested in finding a block she likes, drafting the pattern to the size she wants, figuring out what fabric is required and then putting it all together in a design that she finds pleasing. It is easier to shop and buy a currently published pattern, follow the directions and make the quilt even though the actual block/pattern has been around for hundreds of years. The 'copyright' applies to the written instructions and information that the current writer has used.

Those of us that have been sewing for a very long time have seen many patterns 'recycled'. I agree that there is lots of confusion with many blocks/patterns being called 'original' when in actuality the only thing 'original' is the newer fabrics that are used and the rewriting of instructions which may, currently, make it easier to understand and make. This 'newer' copyrighted info makes today's economics of 'quilting' a multimillion dollar business.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM

this whole sub ject can be sooooooooooooooo confusing. Here is my thought. If I buy your book of patterns (which is probably full of old ones) then I feel I have paid for the right to use them any way I wish as long as I acknowlege where I got it. I don't sell my quilts (that makes it work) but give them to family and friends. So there!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Here is your answer. It is dumb to think that they can patent a pattern, but they can patent the way they did a certain design or quilt. Just don't copy them, change them in some way so that you are the original of that use of the pattern. Dumb isn't it!

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The written instructions and photos or drawings used for those instructions are copyrighted, not the design itself. The written instructions are what make up a pattern.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

You know, unless you use the same exact fabric, I don't see how it can come under copyright either. I always change a little of whatever I do, & seldom do the same exact pattern, so have never seen a reason to worry. They can say that, but it doesn't mean it's so, right! Most of the time, by the time the pattern or mag, or book, is out, that same fabric is not still available anyway, so just do your own thing, make it yours & enjoy!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

anything on copyright really brings out the conversations personaly I take it as a bunch of gibberish everyone wants to get rich even to the point of spinning off another persons pattern so I just do what I want sew and have fun and trade patterns with whoever wants the only thing that I would say is wrong would be to mass produce them for sale but trade or give away????????????????
Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
Yep, I even emailed her about using elements of some of her patterns in a quilt to sell and she told me no, they are hers and not to be made for any profit. Ever. But wouldn't that be my own design if I take a part of this block, add a piece of that one and mix in different colors?? As the finished block wouldn't have been hers or even on her site. Still the same, she is very particular about how you use any of her stuff. That's why I no longer go there or to a few other sites, I work out my own "blocks" using this or that from other blocks in the numerous books I have. I even spent 3 days designing my own, one-of-a-kind block and then ran across it on the 'net. Can you imagine my sheer frustration and then disappointment as I realized everything has been done before and someone, somewhere claims it as theirs. How are we s'posed to be creative if we can't use anything out there someone else lays claim to? This is why I no longer care, I just make what I want, when I want and how I want and do with it whatever I feel. Who can prove that I copied theirs any more than I can prove I came up with it all on my own? It's too confusing and really puts a damper on quilting at all, imho. But I usually am in error so that's just the way it is.

I use "her blocks" that are listed in a book older than her ".com".
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM

I designed a "road to (my community)" block. It's a variation of several "road to" blocks. When I do it, it's a certain color pattern that fits our community. I wouldn't dare copyright it. I've never seen my block before, but I don't hesitate in think an exact duplicate is out there somewhere.