Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Because it seems that you are not enjoying quilting activities now, maybe you are feeling a bit guilty for having so much invested in this activity?

If you have the space to store your stuff - I also suggest just closing the door on it for a while and not even think about quilting or any related activities for a while.

It takes a lot to replace that stuff.

However, if you truly truly dislike quilting (which is very different from being temporarily frustrated). then I see no point in hanging on to everything.

But please do try a "temporary separation" before going to "divorce" mode.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 AM

You have all of our support. It sounds like you need to just walk away for a while... take a break from sewing. You will eventually get the itch to go back to your fabrics...leading you to trying to work on that "stinker" again. You just need a break. Hugs and best wishes.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Please don't give it up. If you are that frustrated, just put it aside, don't touch, look, etc. Just let it be. Do other things you like to do, relax, maybe read some qood quilting magazines and see what you are doing wrong. If you are like me, I get too rushed to finish and that is where I make my mistakes. I sometimes predict what I am suppose to do and do it, just to find out that was not on the instructions. I implore you don't sell anything yet, give yourself time to REALLY think it over. I'll be praying that you won't be giving it up. Relax.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

I wish I were there to give you a big hug. Don't give up. I too have had days when I've looked at my quilts and felt like I should just give up quilting. As some of the others have said, we all have times when we get frustrated. You may think we are all just being "nice" but we are telling the truth. You didn't mention if there is a quilt guild in your area. Try to find one. Guild sisters can be a great source of encouragement to each other. Go to a quilt shop and pet fabric even if you have to drive a ways to get to one-it's so worth it! And yes try to take some workshops or classes. But also do remember that quilting is supposed to be fun, so relax and let yourself enjoy the journey and don't look too hard at the "not so perfect" places. Don't compare yourself to anyone else.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36
Quilting is just a pleasure craft for me, I really don't have any plans of trying to do this for a living....If you go to my blog and go to the archives starting in 2009...there is a few of my quilts....They may all look fine, but the trials and frustration that went into each and every quilt doesn't show.....thanks for listening......My Fiance' says I'm just having a moment, maybe he's right, then maybe not....The closest place to take classes is 1hr 30minutes away..... :-(

If cutting is your biggest struggle, there are several board members on the classified section that use their accuquilt to cut fabrics and sell, maybe that could be a temporary (or permanant) solution for you
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Maybe there is a weird virus going around. LOl
I am not having problems just don't seem to care about doing it anymore. I have also considered selling everything and doing something else with the money. Just don't know what. I haven't been watching The Quilt Show and I pay for that. Haven't been interested. Haven't even gotten on the board everyday like I use to. Don't even want to shop for fabric.
Ok so after reading what I wrote maybe I died and no one told me. LOL Don't want to shop??????
Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Maybe there is a weird virus going around. LOl
I am not having problems just don't seem to care about doing it anymore. I have also considered selling everything and doing something else with the money. Just don't know what. I haven't been watching The Quilt Show and I pay for that. Haven't been interested. Haven't even gotten on the board everyday like I use to. Don't even want to shop for fabric.
Ok so after reading what I wrote maybe I died and no one told me. LOL Don't want to shop??????
Ya know, maybe you could re-direct your energy towards learning more about your machines. I know when I take a break, I typically go back to my old vintage machines and spending some 'quality time' with them. A good cleaning and tune up may be in order, and you could learn so much on-line about the different capabilities of the machines. Then, maybe you'll come back to the feeling of having the need to go and 'pet some fabric'. OR, re-do your quilting space and make it more fun of a space. It's still quilt-related, but just a bit different of a focus. ;)
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM

I haven't read all the responses, so this may be a repeat, but it doesn't hurt to take a vacation once in a while. This quilt may be the final straw, but if you walk away from it for a week or two, you will come back with fresh eyes. Next quilt you do, pick a simple FUN pattern like pinwheels, in brigh colors.

Of course, if you don't love it any more, then find something that you do love. Life's too short to be miserable.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Brenda, don't give up ! We all have moments of self doubt, even the most experienced quilters. All of a sudden there will be an "AH-HA" moment.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Oh, I see I have a twin out there. There is nothing more frustrating than sewing away and later realize that you put someting on backwards or its not postioned right. I made a baby quilt and when I got done I seen something I did wrong and had to redo it. I was litterally crying, I was so upset, but then I fixed it, got it done on time and it looked great! In the end, everything always turns out right. So don't do something wrong like selling all your stuff.