Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 AM

You've hit a wall, and that's pretty normal. Take a few days,
put everything down and walk away from it. You need an attitude adjustment. Maybe just lose yourself in a good book or paint something, or even bang a few nails. Nothing like some good hammer therapy to get out all the excess negative energy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: After a few days off, begin fresh.

This sounds simplistic but a couple of basic questions: Do you have the appropriate 1/4 inch foot for your machine? Do you have a good clear plastic ruler for cutting? Do you have a good self-healing cutting board and finally do you have nice and sharp rotary cutting blades and the correct holder for them?

Go back to when you first learned to piece and quilt. Take your time, measure twice, cut once. Use the 1/4 inch foot while piecing. If your quilting is messy -make yourself some practice
sammies and play around with it. You have all the tools and I'm sure you have the talent. You just need to get the pressure out
and the fun back in. Most important, don't forget there are lots
of friends here on this board, who will offer helpful suggestions if you just ask. Take pictures of issues you're having. There are so many knowledgeable available who may be just the ones to
show you how to get past that challenge. I've been sewing and
making quilts for 20+ years (initially by the seat of my pants). I finally took my first lesson four years ago and it was an epiphany. I made nice things ( and gave everything away) but it
was always a struggle to have it go together correctly. Once
I learned a few basic techniques, it was like the sun coming out.
I'll be thinking of you and sending you lots of good, positive thoughts!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM

I used to make jewelry and got to the same point and then started quilting. I am starting to want to pull out the beads again. So take a break and consentrate on something else you like to do for a while. And, do not beat yourself up about it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Great advice from everyone. Interesting - my mom is an accomplished sewer but when it came to quilting she was ready to let all of her equipment have a fatal accident. I asked her what was frustrating and she said that she ended up with wobbly seams, nothing lined up right, couldn't get intersecting seams to match - sound familiar? So I said - Step away for a while. Pick an easy pattern (she wouldn't though...)

Then I suggested 4 other things:
1. DON'T STEAM when you press.
2. Use sizing or spray starch on the fabric
3. Don't prewash the fabric
4. When sewing intersecting seams, pin on either side of the seam to keep it from moving.

She tried it all and eureka! Matching seams, no wobbles and much less frustration.

Sometimes its the little things that work best! Our hugs to you though even if you never quilt again!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 AM

I know the feeling! Maybe just not doing any sewing for awhile would be good for you. I recommend getting on the internet and finding some on-line tutorials, quilting shows, U Tube videos, etc. to try to find some tips to help you with your sewing problems. I think Quilt TV is still free. Hang in there!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Please don't give up! I remember wanting to sell all of my machines and fabric once upon a time as I was going through post partum depression. Just take a break and you will have a much better outlook! Maybe try some simple patterns that would be easier to do. I admire all the intricate, detailed quilts folks do but I have learned that my style is simple. Now I can appreciate all those other gorgeous quilts but not feel the pressure to compete!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM

Close the sewing room door and step away. Don't make any impulsive decisions. I will never be the creator of some of the beautiful quilts I view on this site. I love the crisp points and angles of the beautiful blocks I make, but rip and tear when they aren't in the rows when I put them together. Sometimes I close the door and walk away, but I always seem to return. Don't just give up without deep consideration after a time when you can make clear thoughts and determine what is right for you.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Don't give up! How many hundreds of friends do you have right here on the Quilting Forum? All are here to help with questions and words of encouragement.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 AM

Maybe you just need a rest from quilting. Find a friend to ennjoy the crat with you. Remeber every quilt with a ftlaw of some kind is special!!!. You have a extra bonus of owning a long arm. donate some quilts to charity and see how wonderful your quilt making is
Debbie
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 AM

are you being too perfect? quilting isnt a dayjob, its a way to have a piece of your life where you can release your creative flow - maybe quilting isnt for you in this way, but most people need some way to get thru the day and "get out of themselves" . You should give yourself a chance and maybe go slower, just do the parts of quilting in half hr chunks, like cut pieces, or plan on paper, or pull stash for color. Thats why most quilters have rooms set aside to work in, you can just let everything sit where you laid it down and close the door, you can walk in for a few mins any time you get the whim or time and do a little more, you refesh you brain and soul this way.
also, dont beat yourself up if you make a "mistake" piecing, go w/ the flow and rework from there, sometimes some of the biggest mistakes turn into the most beautiful quilts, sharet
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM

I know how you feel. My hubby is self employed, and I work from home ALL ALONE every day. You need to take a break, take a breath, and when you're quilting concentrate on the journey and not the destination. Don't see it as a chore, see it as just taking time for yourself, and don't put pressure on yourself for perfection. I choose very SIMPLE patterns in between the more complex ones so it is much easier to obtain a nice-looking project without much effort. It will build your confidence. Concentrate on colors if you think the pattern is 'too easy'. AND, you have many friendly people here to support you when you're feeling down and lonely. (((HUGS))) Hang in there. We all have our bad days. Mine were last week.