Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 AM

Oh Dear Quilter Sister....
We all have felt like this before. I have been quilting for over 45 years, and I cannot compare my quilts with anyone elses. Even if I use a pattern, which is extremely rare, I don't sew it or cut it or create it in the same way the pattern says. I DO NOT CARE if my seams are perfect, or if anything matches, or if it turns out the way I had expected in the first place. It is just a process to be creative.
Imagine a canvas with paints and brushes. Now just let the first strokes begin the picture, and see where all the strokes lead you. Sometimes you can throw in a few unexpected lines in just to get a new look to your painting. I see quilting as a life of its own. Allow yourself to let go and just slash that paint onto your 'canvas' or fabric. Hope you know what I'm trying to say here. Don't be afraid of doing anything wrong, because it is yours and it can't be wrong~~~ Being perfect is not the goal for atleast 98% of us trying to have fun~

This is my scraps I am throwing together...and I'm having fun~ :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193256[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-193250.jpe  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Don't give up! I find that making quilts for donation Project Linus, shelters, etc really gives one a sense of accomplishment and a warm, fuzzy feling.
These quilts I don't have to be so fussy about. I also like to make crumb and scrap quilts because then I don't have to be so particular. Take a break and then give it a go again. Good Luck and remember to have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM

I tend to leap from one interest to another and often take a time out from one or the other of them. Perhaps that's what you should do for a while. Don't sell your supplies though, just move to something else for a while. Amazing what a time out can do. :)
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Don't give up! I find that making quilts for donation Project Linus, shelters, etc really gives one a sense of accomplishment and a warm, fuzzy feling.
These quilts I don't have to be so fussy about. I also like to make crumb and scrap quilts because then I don't have to be so particular. Take a break and then give it a go again. Good Luck and remember to have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 AM

When you don't have the support around you who is further ahead than you...it is harder. But you must have a dream, passion for quilting...something must be there in you to have made this much of an investment. Because of the frustration level and lack of support nearby, take out a learning to quilt book and pick an easy pattern. Go back and revisit the basic skills.

For the longarm, make your investment count. There are teaching sessions. Stay in a hotel for the duration. You have the desire or you wouldn't have made the investment. Push yourself to get over this disappointment.

I have a sort of longarm and the 10' frame but with moves and not having someone in my house showing me how to load and what to do, I'm such a visual learner and no confidence in this new area...the whole thing is sitting in a box. There are some quilting stores that rent time of use on their longarm. Maybe you could find that kind of store and ask for a one-on-one teaching time.

Please don't give up. A lot of gals have given you some good advice here. Give it another try...keep posting here for support. Maybe one of the gals on this board lives near you and would come and help. Wouldn't that be fun?

Hope all of these replies come through to you as encouagement. I want you to know it brings me to tears that you feel so isolated and disappointed in yourself because I am there so often. I wish I had a quilting buddy that clicked. I have experienced mentoring relationships and they are wonderful.

Recently, it was reported that the Emperor of Japan was visiting an evacuation center and stopped to talk to a young man. The young man has Down's Syndrome and he couldn't get his words to talk so he wrote down what he was trying to say to the Emperor: "I'm going to keep on striving."

I don't know if this young man lost his parents, caregivers, but he did lose everything and has a life disability but he isn't going to give up. I was over-the-top inspired by his never give up attitude.

Your disappointment is a hump. You are almost there.

I might not get another chance to say this so just one more thing. I learned this about myself in a quilting book. ABCs of Longarm Quilting by Patricia C. Barry, publisher's website is www.krausebooks.com

She recognized that quilters are wired either as a technician (a learned skill) or as an artisian. Some of us have a bit of both. And she wrote the book with lots of pictures for both types of learners. Once I realized how I was wired I became more comfortable with my skill level.

Keep striving...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Lots of good advice here. I'll repeat: find a simple pattern, use fabrics you love, research each step by book or the web, work slowly and savor correctness in each step. Remember, no beautiful quilt was ever done in a day. And, if you would go get a job, there would be days of frustration and things going wrong there too. That is life. Most of us here would love to have two new machines and a longarm to indulge in a hobby... Also, leave it for a time. Do something by hand, plant a plant, read up on quilting, take a different tack. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Natalie, I'm just curious...how were you wired? Debbie

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
When you don't have the support around you who is further ahead than you...it is harder. But you must have a dream, passion for quilting...something must be there in you to have made this much of an investment. Because of the frustration level and lack of support nearby, take out a learning to quilt book and pick an easy pattern. Go back and revisit the basic skills.

For the longarm, make your investment count. There are teaching sessions. Stay in a hotel for the duration. You have the desire or you wouldn't have made the investment. Push yourself to get over this disappointment.

I have a sort of longarm and the 10' frame but with moves and not having someone in my house showing me how to load and what to do, I'm such a visual learner and no confidence in this new area...the whole thing is sitting in a box. There are some quilting stores that rent time of use on their longarm. Maybe you could find that kind of store and ask for a one-on-one teaching time.

Please don't give up. A lot of gals have given you some good advice here. Give it another try...keep posting here for support. Maybe one of the gals on this board lives near you and would come and help. Wouldn't that be fun?

Hope all of these replies come through to you as encouagement. I want you to know it brings me to tears that you feel so isolated and disappointed in yourself because I am there so often. I wish I had a quilting buddy that clicked. I have experienced mentoring relationships and they are wonderful.

Recently, it was reported that the Emperor of Japan was visiting an evacuation center and stopped to talk to a young man. The young man has Down's Syndrome and he couldn't get his words to talk so he wrote down what he was trying to say to the Emperor: "I'm going to keep on striving."

I don't know if this young man lost his parents, caregivers, but he did lose everything and has a life disability but he isn't going to give up. I was over-the-top inspired by his never give up attitude.

Your disappointment is a hump. You are almost there.

I might not get another chance to say this so just one more thing. I learned this about myself in a quilting book. ABCs of Longarm Quilting by Patricia C. Barry, publisher's website is www.krausebooks.com

She recognized that quilters are wired either as a technician (a learned skill) or as an artisian. Some of us have a bit of both. And she wrote the book with lots of pictures for both types of learners. Once I realized how I was wired I became more comfortable with my skill level.

Keep striving...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

What Wolf Song pattern are you using? I made one a year or so ago for my son. It was the one featured in Quilters World December 2009.If you are still working on it, don't give up. Maybe just take a break from it. If I can be of any help, PM me. Sometimes we all feel the frustration with a project, but give it time and you'll surprise yourself on what you can accomplish.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM

I am a technician. I can't even draw a stick figure.

I upgraded math for university which was my biggest fear. I was sure I was dumb. My only hope was that I'm an adult now so I'm going to bug the teacher, do whatever it took. Once I learned the basics of math and advanced in skill, I realized math is a building block of skills...from the foundation up. Once I got that in my head I learned to love math.

Sometimes our quilters who are artistic or have the fiberarts degree, I can get overwhelmed with their natural ability. But I love everything about working with fabric and thread and am willing to keep building.

Learning that I was a technician is one thing...following instructions and building accuracy are things I can do and find great personal achievement and pleasure.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Please DO NOT, I repeat, NOT sell everything until after a reasonable "waiting period". Once it's gone, it's gone, and you may change your mind later and not have it.