Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Why don't you make a couple of really easy quilts for a child in crisis. The children don't check patterns and seams, they care about colors and texture. Sometimes I just sew together a bunch of 12 inch blocks, or grab a premade panel, and make a quickie--either envelope style or with binding. Then, while making the quilt picture in your mind a little boy running around his backyard with the quilt as a cape, or a little girl using the quilt as a tablecloth for her picnic. DO NOT think about your seams, if the colors are the right shade, etc. Relax and enjoy. That is what quilting is to me. If I attempted to make any of the quilts I've seen posted on here, I'd be on meds. Good luck, and check in with us in a couple of weeks.
What a great perspective. I find myself being highly critical of my abilities, but will try to look at it as you have so nicely stated here. I'm not in the quilting to win awards, I am in it to make comfort quilts. I want my quilts well-used and well-loved. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM

btiny36 I feel the same way and I haven't even gotten not one quilt top to gether. I think if I finally can get one quilt done, I will be hooked and can do better. I don't have any one close too me too help me either and when I run into an area that I just can't match up, I just quit. Once in a while I come in and look at the top and wonder do I want too keep stressing out on this or should I just quit. I have no answer for you except don't quit. I hate to be considered a quitter. if you have made several quilts already the next one may be the one that gives you the confidence you need too keep going. Ask for help from the ones on the board. Someone will see your question and come back and try too help you through. Maybe you are like me thinking it has too be perfect and if the seams are a hair off, I panic!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Brenda you don't say how long you have been quilting.
It seems like you have a lot on your plate. 2 machines a
longarm 13 or so quilts. My feeling is you are trying to do
so much at once it is just getting you down.

Dont make any rash choices. You and your beau take a
couple of days away together and dont stress about your
sewing. Maybe you can get a new outlook no things.

Dont jump into a decesion you wont be happy about later.

Make a rag quilt for the two of you to curl up under and
watch your favorite movie. Just let the stress go and
enjoy.

Stay strong and Im sure you will find your neich.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Take a break and try your hand at something else. I am constantly trying different things- I'm the kind that can't stand to do the same thing twice. Try doll making or applique. There are so many things to try your hand at. Try a different medium. Painting, clay etc. You may find another love to go along with the one you have. In my family we all did some form of art except my father who always asked us to do something for his work as a pastor. Finally we all refused after he'd give his two cents on what we needed to change. At the age of almost 60 he picked up a paint brush and discovered he was good at it and enjoyed it. Check out site such as Favecraft for some fun ideas
Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
:( I'm really sad sad and disappointed in myself....I think to date, I have made 12 or 13 quilts... and I have to say that at this point I just want to quit, give up and rid myself of my stash, 2 new sewing machines and longarm...Really, I just can't seem to not struggle with every quilt I make, it's either cutting, measuring, sewing to assembling the top to borders...it's just plain everything...who knew that quilting would be so frickin hard...I'm soooo disappointed in myself...That wolf song quilt is kinda like the straw that broke the camels back....I'm tired of things not measuring properly and going to together right....OOOOOOOOOOOOH just fed up....My fiance said what will you do, I said I'm going to go out and get a job...currently I don't work outside of the home as we are farmers and I work at home....I'm sure some of you have experienced this, but I don't have anyone close to help me....my closest person is over 2hrs away.....So once I get this Wolf Song finished...I'm seriously looking to set up a paypal account and sell it all of....
Thanks for letting me vent.......
Do some little projects. A table runner, a totebag, a set of place mats, some mug rugs, a bed runner--better yet, cut some 14 inch squares of muslin and make a string quilt. Those don't have to be precise, you can use up a bunch of scraps and have something unique.

Or just put it all up for a while and go sit on the front porch and watch the squirrels and the birds. froggyintexas
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 PM

None of us were perfect quilters overnight. Ask around to see if there is someone in your area that you could consult with, at least for problems. Don't be discouraged. It's like learning anything, it takes a lot of practice and it's okay if things don't always turn out perfect the first time. Start with easy patterns and work up gradually. Take a class or two if there are some in your area. Check to see if there is a quilt guild anywhere near you. Ask for tips at your local quilt shop if there is one. Watch some good videos on line. Check out the Missouri Quilt Company for those. Surf for easy patterns and instructions. Just keep on keeping on and you will improve dramatically.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM

If you could join a group of quilters once a month, it would get you away from your farm and you would love getting ideas and meeting new people. We have 7 quilters who meet at the church and quilt for fun. Love it, hang in there you can do it. I always say every stitch is a prayer for whom ever the quilt is for.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 AM

Please, don't give up.Have you ever had any classes ? If you could find a good instructor you could learn basic skill cutting and how to get the quarter inch seam etc. in a couple classes. I know 2 hrs. away is a long drive it will be worth it if you have the diesire to quilt it won't go away you just need help to get you on the right track .Do you belong to a quilt guild if so share with your group.
Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:35 AM

Everyone on this board seems to think alike. You have a lot of support from us! We are all brothers and sisters, more sisters than brothers. It's like cutting your long hair and then later wish you hadn't done it. Breathe in and out slowly.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Hi. I hope you will relax and pause for a while. As I made quilts, I have learned that I do not do well with ones that have lots of intersections that join points. SO I decided for the mosst part to avoid these designs, but if I like them, like the Fractured Gems one lady showed on this board, I started it and I am finishing it because I enjoy the overall design and from a few feet back I can't see that all the points don't exactly match up.
As for classes, since it is so far, sign up for an all day class so you won't have to travel so much to get a few hours' instruction. You will learn so much from the other ladies as well as the instructor. Take a nap every day until you feel better.