Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
:( I'm really sad sad and disappointed in myself....I think to date, I have made 12 or 13 quilts... and I have to say that at this point I just want to quit, give up and rid myself of my stash, 2 new sewing machines and longarm...Really, I just can't seem to not struggle with every quilt I make, it's either cutting, measuring, sewing to assembling the top to borders...it's just plain everything...who knew that quilting would be so frickin hard...I'm soooo disappointed in myself...That wolf song quilt is kinda like the straw that broke the camels back....I'm tired of things not measuring properly and going to together right....OOOOOOOOOOOOH just fed up....My fiance said what will you do, I said I'm going to go out and get a job...currently I don't work outside of the home as we are farmers and I work at home....I'm sure some of you have experienced this, but I don't have anyone close to help me....my closest person is over 2hrs away.....So once I get this Wolf Song finished...I'm seriously looking to set up a paypal account and sell it all of....
Thanks for letting me vent.......
I gave away my stash once (yes everyone quit gasping). I gave it to my sister's church group....you never saw such a bunch of happy old ladies (late 80s & 90's) fighting over fabric. It was worth that alone.

I didn't want to sew and I didn't know how (still don't, just learning) how to quilt. My sons were grown so I didn't need to make them anything else....until the grand babies started coming.

Now they seem to "want" a quilt and I have found my self wanting to learn new things.

I saw some of your quilts and read part of your blog. I think you are amazing! Yes amazing. I can't believe the wonderful quilts you have done is such a short amount of time.

Being so far away from anyone that could help you is indeed a bummer. Could you do a webcam or skype for moral support?

I couldn't sell my machines (wish for a longarm...just no room for it). I worked too hard to get them and even if they just collected dust for years, they were still there. I wouldn't recommend selling them unless they are completely in the way and give you bad memories.

But.... again, your work is amazing. Please don't cut off your ear or something like that as a frustrated artist. (that was suppose to make you smile).

Life is too short to be unhappy....do what you need to do to be happy but remember...it's hard to undo things done in haste.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Jim

I think all quilters get bit by the bug of frustration at times...I know I have...I just stop for a few weeks and Man'o'man does that work..I dream of patterns I want to make and new designs...and everything involved with quilting..I soon work out the problems in my head and get back to quilting with a renewed desire
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM

I heard once that if you are having trouble with your creative outlet, try another art. Go to a museum, try painting or drawing, learn to bake, garden...something that is creative. At some point during the process, you will reignite the creativity in you and you will find your love for quilting again.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM

The Quilt Unversity is at your finger tips. I'm not
certain,I believe, once you receive tne instructiions,you can work at your own pace. Farming is Work! as a kid I had chichens and calves I had to feed and water. As adult, We did have acreage in Mo. We cut, chop, spilt and hauled it in every chance we had. The first,five yrs we also hauled water up from a small river about 4 mi.s away. Oh,somewhere in ther we built our cabin. So, You may be a homebody But you DO WORK!!! Tinker
Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 AM

This has been a tough and depressing winter and we had half of what you have here in Guelph. Just finish the Wolf, and them enjoy the Spring (if it ever comes) and the glorious summer you will have. Your machines and the stash will patiently wait for you when the seasons close in again. Chin up. You know you love to sew and quilt.
Mary Katherine in Guelph (where we're still getting unheard of frosts and it's rained for a week.. and Oh Yeah and Harper got back into power!)
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 AM

Don't give up. Have you tried Rhonda's cut down methods? If you go to Home on the board & scroll to the bottom you'll find the link with all her great instructions & tutorials.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 AM

I had a gal over my house that I met on this very group the other day.I have a wonderful sew studio and while I was putting a quilt on my long arm frame she was using my cutting table to cut out the fabric for a quilt she wants to start.I watched her struggling to measure and cut then I stepped in.Gave her one of my rulers showed her how to line everything up using the lines on my 38 x 70 cutting board and away she went.I guess what I'm saying is if you have the proper tools and can spread out in a roomy place ,have an iron near by to press seams and cut out the material correctly and make sure your seams are all scant 1/4 inches and read and reread your pattern ,you can do it.Use pins to connect seams and intersections so they all meet.and if all feels call me or another quilter to give you that extra push.

All of us has gone thru this in the beginning made stupid mistakes oh yes I forgot to tell you buy a seam ripper I'm an advanced sewer and still have to rip we all do.Don't give up I know you can do it.

Elaine from Pa. http://community.webshots.com/user/heellie
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 AM

Dag nab it, girl. That's what is the fun in the quilting. Make a mistake, fix it. You learn from everything you do. I have made about 20 now and every quilt has my trademark on it - a mistake of one sort or another. I set out to make THE perfect quilt. In my dreams!!!!!!!! There is no such animal. That is what makes quilting fun. Even my charity quilts had a mistake in them. Both of the Susan Komen quilts had a mistake in them and they brought in over $1,500 each!

You can always make lemonade out of a lemon!

I make a quilt for warmth - not for show. I have my grandmother's quilt she made for me. It is one of my most precious possessions, as is the one from my mother. They both have a mistake in them. It doesn't make me love them any less. It just remember my grandmother sitting at her sewing machine on the farm and out of that came a memory for me that will last my lifetime.

Don't ever give up on something you love because you don't think you can do it. You'll always have a sour taste in your mouth. Take a break, plant some flower seeds, it always comes back. I am on a break right now because I am binding a quilt. No, it is not perfect, Yes when I put all four corners together it will not match exactly, but it will keep my husband and I warm on a cold wintry night (I made it super big). My husband is proud of me. And what else counts? Besides, one of these days that perfect quilt will get its last stitch and you can say that you did it!!!!!! You made the "perfect" quilt. You can always look forward to that. You have a lot of years left to quilt. I am on the downslide now!!!!!!! And I have a lot of lemonade to make yet, before I am done!!!!!! Edie
Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 AM

I wasnt going to answer, but I a good woman and changed my mind. If setting it a side dosen't work then sell it. If it isn't fun, you wont do it. If the stress level is so high and from the distance it sounds like there are no quilt classes that you can attend in person. (I know that there are lots of classes online). Then find something you will enjoy. Most of us here love quilting. But it is fun. Yes we ALL get stressed over something on every quilt. But over all it is fun or enjoyable. If it isn't for you, change direction, just enjoy what ever you do.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 AM

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.
Watch youtube i have learnt quite a bit just by watching utube and other video on the internet i also have no one to help me but since i join the Quilters Board i found quilting easier you only have to ask for help here and use your camera to post photos of your project or troubles and some one will help you work it out my trusted friend now is a 1/4" foot that i bought and now my seams are OK and i found Elmers Glue which i bought on Ebay from England :)for those tricky little corners and points, oh i still make mistakes and i am becoming an expert at unpicking but i enjoy the craft you just need a little more confidence and you will be OK. JUST DON'T GIVE UP :) :) :)