Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM

I just want to say that your post came at just the right time for me. I'm working on a quilt for my daughter that I have been looking forward to putting together. I love the fabric and the pattern. The pattern involves lots of pinwheels made from blocks with several pieces in them. Once I started putting the blocks together in rows the pinwheels did not match up well at all. I have done similar points before that worked out much better. So I took the blocks to my LQS for help since I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. Well, I didn't make consistent 1/4 inch seams and probably my cutting was off, too. Then I squared all the blocks down to 8 inches because the pattern said 8 inch finished sqares. Yikes! I feel so discouraged, I was thinking I should just give up this idea. This is only about my 4th quilt. I know I won't be perfect but I would like to be not this bad. But it does help to read all of these responses, even if they weren't directed to me. My husband is also very encouraging and I'm feeling more like I will just keep trying. I'm not worried about a show quilt or selling anything. And I do love the fabric. I guess I will just keep practicing. Anyway thanks for sharing your post.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself. Hope things get better soon.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM

I am fairly new to quilting and have decided that I learn something new with each quilt. For example, if I EVER do a Trip around the World pattern again, I will make my squares more than 2 1/2 inches. I have made mistakes on every quilt.

Perhaps, after you finish this quilt and take a break, all will seem better. BUT if you aren't enjoying any of the process....take a longer break before you make any big decisions.

We are on your side....wish we were all closer to you and could visit...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM

All I can do is send prayers and hugs.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM

Honey, we all have those days. I thought I would never get back in the"mood" to quilt this winter. Seemed like everything I tried failed. You need to step away for a while. I would not quilt for a living either. My quilts are certainly not perfect by any means but most people love them. I'll bet you are a perfectionist (is that spelled right) and you are very hard on yourself. Take a break and just keep checking in on this board. There are so many good people on here that understand. You will be fine. :wink:
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM

If you have all that beautiful sewing equipment - you must love to sew - take some time off - and after taking a deep cleansing breath- I would find a simple quilt pattern - pick a fabric from your stash that you love -a second deep breath and try again.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Why don't you make a couple of really easy quilts for a child in crisis. The children don't check patterns and seams, they care about colors and texture. Sometimes I just sew together a bunch of 12 inch blocks, or grab a premade panel, and make a quickie--either envelope style or with binding. Then, while making the quilt picture in your mind a little boy running around his backyard with the quilt as a cape, or a little girl using the quilt as a tablecloth for her picnic. DO NOT think about your seams, if the colors are the right shade, etc. Relax and enjoy. That is what quilting is to me. If I attempted to make any of the quilts I've seen posted on here, I'd be on meds. Good luck, and check in with us in a couple of weeks.
This is great advice! Take a few weeks, relax, reflect and regroup. You have a lot invested, time and money, so you shouldn't give it up. Maybe you are expecting perfection of yourself; remember that none of us are perfect. And neither are our quilts.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Do you like to sew? I'm not a big quilter, I like to sew for charity, I like to make clothes, I like to do easy home decor stuff, I like to make doll clothes, I enjoy making rag quilts out of flannel and fleece.............my point is, step back, take some time off, get a job if you really want to and focus on that. You might find, when the time is limited that you can spend on sewing, that you miss it and then look for a project that you think you would enjoy.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM

I'm so sorry you're feeling frustrated. Even here, it feels like winter isn't going to end...Now it's the rain....I swear I haven't seen the sun in a month! Get outside, work in the yard, dream about the flowers you can plant for the summer

Set it aside for a while and see what happens....You have lots of ideas, suggestions....
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM

hang on snoppy take a deep breath then say to self who says things that my quilts are not good what is good all of us do our best .and even with miscues there is some who will take and think it is the most wonder thing so pjease just stop for a min and relax