Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

I am going to say give it up. I did. About 10-12 years ago I was so frustrated that I wasnt "happy" with my finished quilts.

Kept my sewing machine, table and cutting table but gave almost everythingelse away.

Then a couple of years ago, I got the bug again watching a TV show. Got back into it. Bought a new setup. Now I am hooked again.

I dont know if it that the technology is better, that I am more patient, that I take my time now or what but I dont have nearly the frustration.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM

I was doing a 3" 10 minute block for the April doll swap. It was very fiddly work. my plan was to make one to swap, and one for g-dau. I got the swap one done. I was happy with it. I looked at all those blocks and said I'm NOT doing it again! (I had used the same blocks for 2 mug rugs, also.)

I made an alternating four patch. Pink daisy with polka dot, pink daisy with yellow. Oh my, it was SO cute. And doing it that way, had what was, to me, a surprising outcome. The polkadot and the yellow made diagonal lines across the quilt. The daisy was actually my focus fabric, but it faded into the background. I diagonal machine quilted down the centers of those daisy blocks & the polka dot & yellow blocks just POPPED right out.

DO SOMETHING SIMPLE! It was good for my soul to whiz that thing out.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I, too, am a remote solo quilter, but I have found that taking a class at Quilt University really helps me connect in so many ways...with other quilters, with my creative spirit, and with my curiosity about trying new things.

There are tons of classes to choose from, the price is right, there are forums for each class so you can talk to fellow students and the instructor, classes are expertly taught by well qualified teachers, you can work at your own pace (in your pajamas in you feel like it), and you meet lots of new friends.

Take a look. I bet there's something that will restore your confidence, enthusiasm and passion for quilting...maybe even send you off in a whole new and exciting direction! http://www.quiltuniversity.com/index.html
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I hate to say this, but if you aren't enjoying it and it's making you this miserable, it may not be for you. I would suggest you DONT sell all your stuff yet, tho. Wait a bit on that, in case you change your mind or feel the siren call pulling you back to try again...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 PM

Please don't give up. We've all had our times of pulling our hair out because a quilt is not going right or we've cut wrong. Maybe you should take a break for a couple of days. I would LOVE to have a long arm, and so, I think you are very blessed. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
:( I'm really sad sad and disappointed in myself....I think to date, I have made 12 or 13 quilts... and I have to say that at this point I just want to quit, give up and rid myself of my stash, 2 new sewing machines and longarm...Really, I just can't seem to not struggle with every quilt I make, it's either cutting, measuring, sewing to assembling the top to borders...it's just plain everything...who knew that quilting would be so frickin hard...I'm soooo disappointed in myself...That wolf song quilt is kinda like the straw that broke the camels back....I'm tired of things not measuring properly and going to together right....OOOOOOOOOOOOH just fed up....My fiance said what will you do, I said I'm going to go out and get a job...currently I don't work outside of the home as we are farmers and I work at home....I'm sure some of you have experienced this, but I don't have anyone close to help me....my closest person is over 2hrs away.....So once I get this Wolf Song finished...I'm seriously looking to set up a paypal account and sell it all of....
Thanks for letting me vent.......
I understand how frustrating it can be. Be patience and not so hard on yourself. Take a step back from it for a while.....BUT DO NOT SELL anything just yet! You may want to give it another try later on.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

i've been quilting for almost 8 years and it is my only source of income.

i haven't made one quilt that i haven't wanted to kick into the backyard and burn in the fire pit.

this is a common emotion with many quilters - we know the vision we've had in our head on how the piece should look and since fabric and quilting stitches are a fluid media its prone to mistakes, errors, etc.

as much as we see ever mistake in our work the general public doesn't and they think it looks amazing.

i'm sure the people in your life love your work and want you to continue - it does get better over time.

i hope some day to produce a piece i don't want to burn but i really don't believe that will ever happen for me but it certainly won't stop me from trying.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Please don't give up ! You're only a message away. Don't be so critical of yourself; only we see the mistakes !
My first quilt for my first born went into the trash !! It was so fluffy that she couldn't be laid on it without it swallowing her; I was so embarrased I didn't tell anyone (no you all know!). Next I was given some fabric -- I come from a long line of sewers; so to be economical I was going to use it and make a friend a baby quilt. Well that finally turned out decent enough to give. Please take a day and watch a video or go take a class; sometimes city centers or Senior Centers have very talended ladies wanting to share their info. Looking forward to seeing what comes up next ! But definatly take a break. I am a dairymans wife and only have limited time and use this as my time.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM

I love making the easy quilts...I am in the midle of making a harder on. I have two blocks left...I cut the second to the last block completely wrong...I was so bummed...I have taken a break from that quilt...and went back to doing a few tumblers. Hang in there...put that one a way for a bit. I also found its easier to quilt when I have someone in mind for a Birthday, mothers day, christmas etc..if I make it the month before the event it keeps me modivated...don't forget to make yourself a nice warm cozy lapquilt!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM

I can underststand, I am in an area, farm land area. No neighbors nearby. Just DH and I. My in laws come during the summer months to their summer home.
I get frustrated some times. I cut perfect blocks, yet they don't match or end up not being the right size.
One time I wanted to chuck it all in the trash.
DH told me, no one is perfect, walk away a few days and go back to it.
Well, I did and I love it, it relaxes me so.
My advice, hang onto your fabric and sewing machines. If you don't want to make anything today or next week, your sewing machine, and fabric will be there waiting for you