Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
:( I'm really sad sad and disappointed in myself....I think to date, I have made 12 or 13 quilts... and I have to say that at this point I just want to quit, give up and rid myself of my stash, 2 new sewing machines and longarm...Really, I just can't seem to not struggle with every quilt I make, it's either cutting, measuring, sewing to assembling the top to borders...it's just plain everything...who knew that quilting would be so frickin hard...I'm soooo disappointed in myself...That wolf song quilt is kinda like the straw that broke the camels back....I'm tired of things not measuring properly and going to together right....OOOOOOOOOOOOH just fed up....My fiance said what will you do, I said I'm going to go out and get a job...currently I don't work outside of the home as we are farmers and I work at home....I'm sure some of you have experienced this, but I don't have anyone close to help me....my closest person is over 2hrs away.....So once I get this Wolf Song finished...I'm seriously looking to set up a paypal account and sell it all of....
Thanks for letting me vent.......

I don't believe you should sell or rid yourself of any of your sewing things. You might want to look into classes or a retreat where some can help you with some of the issues you are having. Maybe you can place an ad for fellow quilters in your area and possibly meet up with some or one and learn some from them. I am not or will ever be the quilter that I have witnessed here online, but I do enjoy my projects wee, small or larger. Try maybe to not judge yourself too harshley!

Hugs and keep in there !

Sharon
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM

You know ....lifes too short...if you're not enjoying it move on.....sell it all and do something totally different......however a few months down the road I'm sure you'll regret it....and it will be too late then to get it all back.....just think how much it would cost to replace it all....my advice...pack it all up...put it away for a while...have a break....do something totally different, .....if you still feel the same this time next year then think again about getting rid....
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Whooly cow! Have you watched The Holiay with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. A perfect quote: "low point!"

Just breath.. Would love to get a job, but can't. You maybe need to get out of the house. but don't sell you tools. They are real tools right now.. Too emotional for you... Hold the door, walk out but don't sell.

My vote.. :0)
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM

You must be doing something right if you went so far as to get yourself a longarm. =) Sometimes just slowing down and not trying to get things done at break neck speed and learning to enjoy the process makes everything better. Honestly..I was the same way a few years ago ~ minus the longarm ~ I just couldn't seem to do anything "right" I stopped and took stock of why I love this Quilting thing. I came to the conclusion that its my right to choose what the rules are. Not everything I do is show quality but I sure do love the process. And anything that makes me this happy ~ is something I'm gonna keep on doing. I hope you find your happy place. =) And create something beautiful!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM

I agree, maybe you're just not picking the right patterns for you, or maybe you are just being hard on yourself, nobody's quilts are perfect. Maybe take a month or so off and concentrate on something else, then come back to it. Maybe you can show us some pictures, because often we see all our mistakes while others see the beauty, maybe your just not being objective about your quilts
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so frustrated with what should be a pleasure for you. If we are all honest, though, I think just about everyone has felt this way at some point or another in their quilting journey.

It sounds as if you are your own worst critic - which is also quite common. Not sure I have any concrete advice I can give you, other than to put things aside for a bit, maybe flip through some magazines or inspiring blog posts, and give it another try when you feel less stressed about it. Don't feel you have to rush, allow yourself the time to enjoy the process. Cut slowly and carefully, and piece the same way. Savour the steps rather than rushing. If you feel yourself getting tense, set it aside.

With two machines plus a long arm, you've surely invested a lot in this hobby. Are you feeling like you should be able to create fabulous pieces as you have the right toys? I have to remind myself that everything takes practice, regardless of the equipment. I don't think I'll ever have a LA - no room, and don't want to invest that much in it. For me, sending my tops out to other folks is a better choice.

If you have project that you really, really aren't liking, give yourself permission to repurpose the supplies, or pass it on to somebody else who might like it. For me, that meant that the OBW that I wanted to try was never more than triangle strips lined up together. I'd tried the process and didn't care for it. I'll put a garbage bag over me so all of the OBW lovers can throw tomatoes - but I really just don't like them. I don't know why, I love stack and whacks and 4-patch posies, which are along the same lines.

If you can, I'd try to find somebody you can work with, hopefully in person, but if that won't work, hook up via e-mail, etc. Maybe you'll only be able to get together one afternoon a month, or even less, but you will enjoy the time and learn from each other. Is there a fabric store that you might be able to put up a post in, or pennysaver? Or, put up a thread here. I'm constantly amazed how many people mention, "Hey, I'm only an hour from you," or something like that.

Hope you are able to find a way to enjoy quilting again.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM

I am self taught. My first attempt was a mystery quilt. I thought I had to cut it out in advance which took two full days, then I thought I was to sew the entire top the day of the mystery. I couldn't go to kitchen, restroom anything. Talk about stress. As the day wore on hubby brought me food, watched for new step as I went to restroom. Top was awful. I didn't cut correctly, fabric WOW was too sheer, just a mess. It is all in a project box. Maybe I can salvage placemats or table runners using the blocks. However, I learned so much. First thing I learned was to try the step on a few pieces take a break till the next step. Do not try to complete a queen size top in a day for your 1st quilt! I am saying the main thing is to enjoy & learn. I learn something new every day on this board, you tube, online videos etc. I took 1 class in a shop. Must be better before I will humiliate myself like that again. Take a break & try try again. Make smaller projects for a quick accomplishment. Go girl ! You know you want to or you wouldn't have machines & a stash to die for.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Think about what part of quilting you like. I have tried but don't like doing applique, Y seams or curves. I don't like doing crazy quilts,hand quilting or tying quilts or making anything other than actual quilts (I don't do bags, purses, etc.). I admire other's work ALOT but doing those things is not fun for me so I don't do them. I prefer more simple patterns with beautiful fabrics. I love doing hand binding and I am working towards doing more FMQ. Maybe try getting some precut fabrics (jelly rolls, layer cakes) or a quilt kit. That may inspire you and take some of the steps out!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

with time u will get better
take a class watch lots of videos and practice a block w/ scraps before u cut into ur fabric
read books from library join a guild
don't give up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

We all learn a little at a time. When we do a particularly hard one, then when we go back to an easier one it is even easier than we thought because we learned so much on the hard one. Every two to three years I do an insane quilt like partial seams on a 1" diamond.

I keep to the basics. I try to cut accurately. I have felt pads every two inches on my ruler so it won't slip. I sew accurately by having 8 layers thick of painter's tape on my machine guiding my seam. It is one threads width shy of 1/4" away from my needle. I use the ruler I use to cut my fabric to measure that seam.

Go back to reasonable pattern for your next quilt.

Come back to this site with any questions. There are lots of smart ladies on this board