Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting vent >

My quilting vent

My quilting vent

Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM

one thing to do if you are doing quarter square trangles or half square, start out with squares that are 1/4 in or more larger that what the instructions say. When you get them put together, press well and then trim to the unfinished size. There will be such a small amount to trim off that you are not wasting that much fabric, but the pieces will fit together so much better.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Ive had many failures and it is due to trying to do a block I like and make a quilt on my own. Or trying something complicated to soon. My first quilts were stack the deck and they turned out nice.
Go to quilterstv and watch videos of the experts
I also found that using patterns by Eleanor Burns are hard to do wrong. She has videos on her website Quilt In A Day.
Keep it simple and do small quilts until you learn all the tricks and simple ways of doing things.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM

BTINY, YOUR JUST IN A MOOD, HAVING A BAD DAY...GET IT ALL OUT AND START AGAIN. I know what you are saying...I always start each new project saying.."I am gonna do ALL right",
measuring, cutting following directions and I often am disappointed in some dumb mistake Ive made...everyone at some time or another feels that way...now get it together !!! If you enjoy making quilts...dont give it up...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 AM

I see you live in Canada. Watched the Dr Oz show the other day and he mentioned that lack of Vitamin D3 in the winter leads to stress and depression. Sounds like you need some time in the sun. I'm taking the Vitamin D3 now and it has really helped me. We've had a long rainy winter and I'm ready for spring. But now it's 90 and more like summer!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM

No!!!!! Don't you dare to give up .... You are just going thru a phase to me it sounds like some depression . Understand being a farmers wife yes you do have alot to do but not to have anyone to close to you like friends or family is another thing if you are use to being around people. This job will be good for you but I would just put your quilting aside for now. Who knows this job that you got you just might meet someone who is interested in quilting and then you would have a friend there to help you.
I don't know what kind of job you are getting or getting away from there to work is a good thing maybe for awhile. Don't give up on your quilting. set it aside for awhile because later you might say to yourself that you should have kept everything. I know myself if you have some kind of depression it will make you mess up not continue to finishes anything and just be at witts end. So I just put it aside and then I come here and look and chat and know one day I'll get back to what I like to do. I will keep you in my Prayers and hope things will get better for you.

God Bless ,
Cheryl
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Ok, I just thought of something else.

You can sell your stuff if you want to, but all of us on here take notice. Don't buy any of her supplies. Now I've said it. I won't take it back.

We'll support your decision, we just won't buy your goodies. :-))

You'll be needing them again, soon!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 AM

((( Brenda ))) I'm pretty new to quilting and really understand the frustration, it begins to just seem like a bunch of work -- but then I'll have a good day and things go together smoothly and I feel so proud of myself for sticking with it, and making something pretty -- and it's a wonderful, fun hobby again...

I hope this passes for you, I think it will, something really attracted you to quilting to start with, and got you through 13 quilts in spite of all the struggles!

I think everyone has given you good advice, I especially agree with taking a break from all things quilting for a while, long enough to miss it and remember why you enjoyed it to start with.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
:( I'm really sad sad and disappointed in myself....I think to date, I have made 12 or 13 quilts... and I have to say that at this point I just want to quit, give up and rid myself of my stash, 2 new sewing machines and longarm...Really, I just can't seem to not struggle with every quilt I make, it's either cutting, measuring, sewing to assembling the top to borders...it's just plain everything...who knew that quilting would be so frickin hard...I'm soooo disappointed in myself...That wolf song quilt is kinda like the straw that broke the camels back....I'm tired of things not measuring properly and going to together right....OOOOOOOOOOOOH just fed up....My fiance said what will you do, I said I'm going to go out and get a job...currently I don't work outside of the home as we are farmers and I work at home....I'm sure some of you have experienced this, but I don't have anyone close to help me....my closest person is over 2hrs away.....So once I get this Wolf Song finished...I'm seriously looking to set up a paypal account and sell it all of....
Thanks for letting me vent.......
Sorry you are having a rough time. I bet if you got an Accuquilt cutter you would be 'sew' much happier. Every thing fits together like a charm. I hope you are able to give that a try. Sounds like you have a lot of toys to help you, so might as well add another. Not affiliated with them, just love my GO cutter. Good luck
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM

It is hard when you have no close by to share your quilting or everyday problems with. I agree with other QBers.....close the door on that room. Go outside and plant some flowers, spruce up your porch. And give your mind a rest. Frustration is part of the game. Maybe working part time is a good idea...then you would be happy to spend a few hours quilting. Good Luck, you know we are all pulling for you.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM

SOME DAYS (LIKE TODAY) I FEEL THIS EXACT SAME WAY ABOUT BEING A MOTHER AND WHEN MY CHILDREN (AGES 17 TO 36)DRIVE ME TO THIS POINT, I TURN TO THE QUILTING BOARD AND ADMIRE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE DONE OR FEEL SOME OF MY FABRIC AND DREAM OF ANOTHER QUILT I WILL SOMEDAY START.