Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My sewing machine died. :(

My sewing machine died tonight. I had just cleaned out the bobbin area and was getting ready to piece the backing fabric for a quilt I'm working on, but when I turned it on I got an "F01" error (not in the manual, by the way), and it's beeping like mad. :shock: Won't sew, won't do nothin'. :(

A Google search seems to indicate a faulty circuit board. It's still under warranty, since it's only 4 months old, but I'm dead in the water for a while now. I'll give the local dealer that I bought it from a call in the morning and see what to do. But I have a feeling I'm going to be down for a while. Bummer.

I guess I should learn to hand sew with a needle and thread, eh? :)

Oh no! So sorry. Guess you wore it out already with all the great projects you've cranked out! Hope the warranty gets everything straightened out for you.

Blog Entries
    Eddie, that sucks. Good news is that it is still under warranty.

You can also do some prep work to get pieces ready for when the machine comes back all well.

Hope you don't have to wait too long.

That bites BUT at least it is under warranty.

At least you ought not be charged to get up and running = just your time :?

Best of luck.

Oh no!! I think I would curl up in the corner and cry!

Have you tried recreating what you did when you cleaned it? Maybe pull those bits apart again and put it back together, it may be that something is loose.

I cleaned mine the other day, then a few hours later it started making an odd clunking sound. I was in a right panic, till I discovered I hadn't tightened the screw on the base plate properly and it was rattling. Scared the snot outta me for a minute! ;-)

Being somewhat of a computer techy ----hey, I know how to turn the computer on and how to run the microwave!!!! :wink: Try unplugging the sewing machine for at least 5 minutes, then plug back in and see what happens. I've had the same thing happen with our micro --- and the book said call in a repairman, but after unplugging/plugging in, the problem cleared itself up.

Now -- if that doesn't work....post your address, flowers will be sent! :(

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, that's not a good feeling to know something major is wrong with a new expensive machine. I would ask for it to be replaced with a new one.

Power Poster
    might there be a "reset" sequence?

for my printer it's press the "stop" "Power" and "maintenance" buttons all at once.

My calculator also had a weird reset sequence that was NOT in the manual.

Maybe try googling for something like that?

At any rate, I'm sorry your machine "stopped" (not my first choice of word, but we've been "encouraged" to keep it polite here).

Are you going through withdrawals?

Blog Entries
    sorry about your machine but hand piecing and quilting is fun

sorry about your machine Eddie what kink is it

live2quilt

Sorry about your machine. I wonder if your dealer may be able to order you a repair manual that would have the codes in.

That's horrible! I hope it fixes itself overnight and, if not, that the repairman gets it fixed asap.

Bummer!!! Maybe you burned it up with all your gorgeous quilts you have created so fast!!! I'm hoping that after a night of "rest" it will turn back on for you.
    Hope you get it working soon!

Blog Entries
    Oh no!!!! So sorry to hear your machine is under the weather. Maybe you should look for a second one as a backup.

Blog Entries
    I understand exactly how you feel. I went thru the same thing a few months ago. As Quilt4u suggested, a second one as a backup might be something to consider. A friend of mine bought an inexpensive Kenmore that she uses all the time and loves. I might end up with one of those myself as a backup or to take to class (lighterweight than mine).

Or you can keep yourself busy cutting out future projects, planning, or my favorite: shopping for fabric! LOL

I hope you get it fixed quickly! I always look forward to seeing your quilts.

Blog Entries
    OH NO :( :( :(
    Maybe as suggested it will reset itself...if not I am so sorry!!! I have my first machine still as a back up...maybe an older thrift shop find to keep you going until you get your buddy repaired? All my new feet fit my old machine, I just had to get an adaptor for it :wink:

So sorry about your machine, but hopefully the dealer will get it fixed soon. It certainly shouldn't do it while it's under warranty, it's supposed to do it the next day after warranty is over.LOL If you don't mind me asking, what kind of machine is it?

I'm so sorry your machine died! Hopefully the dealer will get it back and running quickly. I have 4 machines so I'll never be totally withOUT a machine so I'm lucky........also, I don't EVER want to do needle and thread sewing again so I can't recommend it to others when I shudder thinking about doing it myself. If you lived closer I'd loan you one of my machines until yours comes back from the "hospital." Good luck.

I'm so sorry your machine died! Hopefully the dealer will get it back and running quickly. I have 4 machines so I'll never be totally withOUT a machine so I'm lucky........also, I don't EVER want to do needle and thread sewing again so I can't recommend it to others when I shudder thinking about doing it myself. If you lived closer I'd loan you one of my machines until yours comes back from the "hospital." Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Being somewhat of a computer techy ----hey, I know how to turn the computer on and how to run the microwave!!!! :wink: Try unplugging the sewing machine for at least 5 minutes, then plug back in and see what happens. I've had the same thing happen with our micro --- and the book said call in a repairman, but after unplugging/plugging in, the problem cleared itself up.

Now -- if that doesn't work....post your address, flowers will be sent! :(
    I have read about this before and this is the best advice...unplug that baby!!:)It might be shot no matter what, but, have read where others had a misread on the panel as you suggest and by unplugging it for awhile it helps reset...so, it is worth a try! Do keep us posted! Life is terrible w/o a machine!!:)I now have 3!LOL For that just in case...:)Skeat

use your daughters!!!
    Many of us have multiple machines in case this happens!!
    Buy a spare one at a garage sale, thrift store or craig;s list. I am never w/w a machine

Bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( :( :( :(

Well, that certainly stinks!!! Did you find out what the problem was yet?

Your's is the second one, here, this week, and I am now looking for a back up, mine was making a strange noise last night, but stopped and cleaned it.
    We as quilters, do need backups, the withdrawals from not having a working machine are just terrible! lol

Banned
    oh man, that stinks big time......is there someone close by that can loan you one til you get yours fixed? i hope so

Thanks for all the condolences, LOL. I really do feel quite lost without my machine now. :( It was still DOA this morning, even after unplugging, cleaning and reassembling the bobbin area, etc. Just gives me that blasted "F01" error on the display and beeps like crazy. So I took it on in to the local dealer, and the guy at the counter said it would be about a week. I don't think he was the "fix it" guy there, just one of the dozen or so people that work in the store. I did, however, talk with Joe (who IS the fix it guy), and he said he'd have a look at it, but he didn't think it was the circuitboard - he said he can't remember how long it's been since he had one in there with an actual circuitboard problem, but that it's been a loooong time. So maybe it's nothing major. Either way, should be covered by warranty since it's only 4 months old.

Someone asked what type machine it is - it's a Brother Innovis NX-650 Quilter's Club machine, which I really do love. Wide throat, large sewing platform, etc., so was specifically made for quilters.

And I'm not totally machineless - we bought my oldest daughter a new sewing machine for her birthday back in May and it's down here in the sewing room as well. It's a lower end Brother, I think we paid right at $300 for it, so it's not a cheapy, but then again, I was really used to my better machine. My wife offered the use of her Brother embroidery machine for sewing, but that thing is so huge it would be like driving a tank, LOL.

I was thinking today that I have like 3-4 quilt kits that I've bought over the last few months, so I think I'll spend this week cutting them out. I also have a couple of quilts I've been wanting to start on, so will also get cutting on those ones. So me and my rotary cutter are going to be doing a lot of cutting this week. I WILL stay productive! :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast