Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My son >

My son

My son

Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 AM

It seems, in my family, sewing skips a generation. My grandmother worked in a sewing factory and she did a lot of sewing at home. My mother never really learned how, because she always had someone to do any repairs, etc. It's always something I've been interested in. I'm not as good as I want to be (but who is?!) and I have one child, a 15-year old son. He hasn't shown any interest, but I've forced him to learn how to do the basics on a sewing machine. But the best part is that I've done a lot of alterations and repairs to his clothes. He bought some shorts that were too big, and I took up the waist so he could wear them. He had a pair of black jeans that he loved but ripped them from the crotch to the knee! So I made a very long patch out of plaid flannel and left the edges raw and sewed it up. Then I added another fake-patch to the other leg and one on the back. I let him use some safety pins and he had a broken bracelet that we pinned. He loved those jeans and when someone asked about it, he said he did it himself (I "helped", of course!). He has several pair of jeans that have ripped and I patch them up and they look just like Mall Jeans and he couldn't be any happier.
I guess my point is, even though he doesn't have the interest, he knows the value of knowing how to do things like this. I don't know what I'd do with myself if he decided he wants to learn how to quilt or make clothes!!
Attached Thumbnails jeans.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 AM

I would suggest that he make something he would actually wear. A successful first project...and off he will be a running...at least for making clothes. There are many easy patterns, though they can be a bit expensive. Our Hancock's always has one of the pattern brands on sale for $2. or so. I'd get one of them. I have seen a pattern that makes a simple PJ bottom with drawstring and a v neck over the head top. That might be a good way to start.

As for quilting, it is a whole different mind set, but you already know all about that!

Tell him we are all on his side!

Dina
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Here are some professional schools for art and clothing design. If he has a natural talent, perhaps this is his field of work? They always say do something you love and it will never feel like work.

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Clothing%20...l&geo=US&ver=6

Also the is a forum on line that has many wonderful classes and reviews of patterns.

It is at http://sewing.patternreview.com/

I am sure he could spend hours reading all of the wonderful information there.

If he is going to make clothing... buy him a dress form, pressing hams and some good long lasting tool and a great machine. Draping and using them for fit makes all of the difference in the world when it comes to a perfect fit and creative style.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-06-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Keep in mind there are many tutorials on the web for regular sewing as there is for quilting. Tell him, get online and find a project that has a tutorial and just show him how to use the machine. Good for him. Nice to have someone artistic...
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Might start with shorts - or pajama bottoms. Very forgiving as to sizing!

Then pillow cases.
My DS had to take Home Ec while he was in HS & they made pillowcases. I still have mine! I think it's wonderful that your DS wants to learn to sew!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM

One of my goals in raising my kids, sons especially, was that they would learn to sew...nothing fancy, just your basic "sew-on-a-button" type stuff; my reasoning? That they would never use the old "I can't" thing to justify getting someone else (usually of the female persuasion...) to do their mending stuff. And now, years later, they STILL remember how! In fact, one of them can sew better than his wife and is the go-to guy for sewing emergencies! So yes, I really think that all children should be taught the business end of a needle and thread, quilting or otherwise.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 AM

I agree! Tell him men where the only tailors in history and they made all wealthy people cloths. Also men win alot of quilt shows. Good luck!
Originally Posted by sewnutty2 View Post
Get him a sewing for dummies book. Very easy to understand and has simple projects to start. I think it is wonderful he wants to learn to sew. It is a life skill and not just a girly thing. I wish him the best!!!
Sue
Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 AM

I made clothing for years. The quilting only started a few years ago. I taught my 4 (2 boys, 2 girls) and my youngest son's best friend how to sew. My son's friend is the one who does the most sewing. He belongs to a Renaissance group and makes all of his own costumes, tents etc. Since quilting is your strong suit start him out with a basic design such as a churn dash block and go from there. For clothing help him choose something he would like but not to complicated. If your not comfortable with teaching him clothing see about classes at a nearby store (although a boy his age may not be comfortable with that) or perhaps someone you know who makes cloths would be willing to teach him. Sometimes you might find a member of your church who would be willing to teach.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM

I'm a firm believer in that girls need to know how to change and or check oil in a car and boys needs to know how to iron and sew along with cooking. Never know when it might come in handy for survival for themselves and their mate. That being said when my son took sewing in school, he brought home the needed list and I told him to go get the stuff from my sewing area and then I would check and see what he still needed. Well he did a fine job - Gingher scissors, etc. Needless to say we changed things out to a more least expensive stuff for school. At least he know what was Mom's good stuff. But i am proud to say that he could sew on a button etc if he couldn't talk Mom into it and cook and our daughter knows how to use a saw, hammer, and a screw driver better than her husband.

So go for it and teach your son to sew - it is fun to see how excited they become when it is accomplished.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 AM

You can do what my mom did when I was 12 got me a machine some patterns and said there you go. I had to learn on my own. She could not sew a bit but I learned quick. Really just get a easy pattern a vest something. good luck to him and I hope he enjoys quilting.