Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My son >

My son

My son

Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 AM

I think that is great! Everyone needs a creative outlet in my opinion, male and female!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Years ago a neighbor ask my Mother to teach her to sew. Mother sent her to the store and told her to get a pattern,read everything on the back and buy what it called for.
She came back to Mother then Mother told her to get out the instruction sheet and tap it to the wall over her machine and do exactly what it said. She was so mad at Mother for not looking over her shoulder she wouldn't speak for a month. She did finish the dress and in six months she was sewing for the public.
That is the best way for a beginner. Then they will take off on their own
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 AM

My step son-in-law wanted to make a nylon jacket when he was in college. He found a friend who had a sewing machine and she was willing to teach him how to sew. He still has the jacket (I did some patching on it a while back). When his first son was born, someone gave him a flannel blanket - just two yards of fabric RST and turned. Bill loved it and started making them for others, some with matching pillows. He's made dozens of these. One day Bill was at the sewing machine, I, his step-mother-in-law, was cutting fabric, his mother was stuffing the pillows, and his mother-in-law was slip-stitching the seams closed. All in the same room. It was great.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM

That is great! I always encouraged my children to go with their interests. Someone once told my kids that they seemed to have an interest in many different things. My son is 27 and he learned to sew when he was about 11 or 12 years old. My husband still has a pillow that my son made for him at Christmas. The pillow is just a rectangle pillow but my son outlined his hand on the pillow and put the date in the middle of the hand. It is a wonderful remembrance item. My son doesn't have time to sew now but he can repair his clothes if he needs to do so. Sewing is just one of the things that he has found an interest in. Before college my son was a wildland firefighter. In college he took flying lessons. He graduated from college as a geologist and I insisted that he go out in the real world and see what life was about before he got his masters. After he graduated with his bachelor's degree, he traveled from California to Alaska working in oil fields and gas fields. In his spare time, he volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and worked on a "dig" for fossils. Right now, he is back in college going for his masters. This summer, besides working on his masters project, he works part time for USGS. In his spare time he is learning Salsa dancing with his girlfriend and works on his motorcycle. Sewing was just one part of his interest in life but it was an interest that will benefit him the rest of his life.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 AM

the pattern companies all carry learn to sew patterns now. That said, i've taught several kids to sew. Start with sewing on lined paper with unthreaded needle so he gets the hang of straight stitching, then have him draw a design with pencil that he likes on a plain piece of fabric and have him stitch that with colored thread ( a mini wall quilt), the progress to an easy sewing pattern. Get him a basic book on sewing so he learns to read patterns and knows about grain line, different fabrics etc. My girls used the Coats and Clark and Vogue Sewing books to learn and even now as their reference manuals.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM

I tried to teach my daughter, but she wouldn't have it, she hated it, will not even sew on a button, but now my two sons were willing and able, both had taken home ec in school, and can sew.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Might start with shorts - or pajama bottoms. Very forgiving as to sizing!

Then pillow cases.
I agree. Plus those things have less chance have looking like that " homemade" look, rather than a "personally designed" look he is probably hoping for. His skills will improve with time; good luck to him!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM

My son learned how to 'run the sewing machine' (sort of) when he was 12 or so - never did much with it but sew up his own ripped seams (Mom is a slow mender! LOL) When he got married, he was the one who had to fix his wife's purse by repairing the seam and reattaching a button. She has now taken sewing lessons at least to the pajama pants stage.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by germanquilter View Post
Jo-Ann's usually offers sewing classes for teens as well as beginning sewing. My 19-year old daughter had a friend of mine teach her how to read and cut using a pattern last summer. My friend taught her all the basics and now my daughter is a sewing fiend
Joann's new curriculum starts next month and there are some lounge pants that would be very appropriate for boys as well as girls...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

My DH insisted that our boys learn to sew before they used a power saw. A sewing machine is a power tool. A pattern will teach him to follow directions. All the advice is very good. My boss bought a red sewing machine from me - he thought it looked very masculine and yes he does use it. I've sold sewing machines to guys just because they liked all the chrome and buttons. I say go for it.