Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My trip to Ohio >

My trip to Ohio

My trip to Ohio

Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by efstover
I live about 45 minutes away from berlin. I have been going there for over 20 yrs. Love the customer service and the food(the cheese is great) and the material is plentiful and prices are good. Zincks have batting at reasonable prices. My mom and I would go there at least once a week . She would call it Amish country. Mom has passed, now when I go it has such happy memories for me plus the goodies.
My SIL and niece live in Apple Valley and they are familiar with the area which really helped and we are also planning on stopping at Heini's cheese place next time. Hope I spelled that right.
Kathi in PA
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 AM

I spend at least 10 to 12 hours in the area. They also have a buggy rides and place where kids can pet animals. On the 4th of July weekend they always have yard sales along the highways and in the little surrounding towns. Years ago They use to have a quilting room in the old helping hands building and it was fasinating to watch the Amish women quilt. In fact, They would have a young girl thread needles and thats all she would do.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 AM

I don't live to far from these places...been to them all and a few more in the area ....would be nice to meet my fellow quilters...:-)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kathi in PA
Originally Posted by michelehuston
Helping Hands Quilt Shop is the best place to go!! I try to go once a month, the ladies there are so helpful, I think it has to be my favorite shop to go to. I drive an hour to get there but it is so worth it. If I had to choose, that would be the only place I would go!! So glad you got to experience the great customer service!!! :)
Michelehuston,

Do you know they are going to have an auction for the property at Helping Hands - not sure if they are relocating or what, but if you find out anything let me know!!!

Kathi in PA
No, I din't know that! I may have to go there on Saturday!! Will let you know if I find out anything!
Michele
Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 AM

Road trip to Ohio!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 AM

next time go on labor day week end and hit the corn festival..oh such good corn ..now I'v gone and got my mouth to watering...glad you had a good time
Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 AM

I live 20 miles from Berlin/Charm area. It's my favorite place to spend time. The shops are amazing. Every time I go there thinking I'll make one quilt I come home with fabric for 2 or 3. Every year - the last weekend in October Miller's and 11 other quilt shops in the area have a shop hop which is so much fun. There are prize give aways at every shop. Even if you just go to the shops in the Berlin area you can get a free block pattern at each store and they sell a postcard with each of the 12 shop's quilts on it. It's always a great quilt. You can buy the fabric at each store and if you look at the blocks on the postcard you can figure out the ones you're missing. Each store finishes their quilt differently so you get alot of ideas. There's also a map to all the stores so it's easy to find them..
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I live in Ohio and I do think we must have the most quilt shops anywhere. I live near Columbus and we have about seven LQS, and I keep hearing of more around us.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Just heard of a new shop 5 miles west of Millersburg. It is called Somewhere Sewing. 39 West past West Holmes HS, right on Rt. 754 at the light(Marathon Station on the corner). Turn right on County Road 320 and shop is 1/2 mile on the right. I have not been there yet, but was told that they have approx. 7200 bolts. I'll be checking it out the first of May.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 AM

when I was teaching my sister to quilt (she is in Ohio me in Illinois) over the phone this is the shop she went to for hands on help, just down the road from her house. She was so nice and patient with my sister that when I visit I always go to her shop.
Originally Posted by bakermom
It's about an hour from me. Love zinck's and millers has an unbelievable selection of fabric. If you ever get over toward Ashland, go to Country Charm Fabrics, just off rt. 250. Can't think of the lady's name that runs it but she is so nice and helpful. Also Hearthside quilts up in Kidron is a nice place.