Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neck and Back hurting while quilting.... >

Neck and Back hurting while quilting....

Neck and Back hurting while quilting....

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Neck, back, ....SHOULDERS....that's where i get the most pain when i'm wrestling with the quilt during quilting on my DSM.....I take lots of breaks - do stretching exercises....Sometimes we get in a zone and don't realize how long we've been slouching at the machine. I hear ladies say they set their ironing board up right next to their machine....mine is across the room so i have to get up and move around. Old bones !!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I have neck exercises that I do every hour from my physiotherapist while FMQing. I break up my cutting and sewing so I don't do any one task too long.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 PM

I recently got a TENS unit from Amazon. It helps a lot, but you should probably check with your doctor first to make sure you don't have some underlying condition causing the problem and that it's okay for you to use. They used to be available only by prescription.

Debbie D
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

I agree that improper chair height can be a real problem. If you machine sits above the table (not down into a cabinet) then you need a really high chair. You never want to have to hold your arms up higher than, or even level with, your shoulders. This can impinge nerves in your neck.

As for your back, do you get regular exercise? People who are more muscularly toned and flexible will have the natural spine support of those fit muscles. So try some weight training exercises and stretching, like yoga-- regularly. It does make a difference in your spine health. Then take frequent breaks, straighten up, and roll your shoulders backwards a few times. Even backwards bending while in your chair is a really great relief for your spine.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 AM

I use door stoppers to tilt my machine forward at a slight angle. Learned this at a quilt show many years ago where a demonstartor was using the stoppers for her machine. I find the slight angle really helps my neck. Also have an ergonomic office chair and try to remember to get up and move around.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:44 AM

Several years ago I purchased an apparatus that you wear like a back pack. It had a weight that hung on the back and was supposed to alleviate back pain and strain. The problem was that the straps dug into the upper arms by my armpits and that hurt. So the apparatus lays languishing in a drawer.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 AM

I use a great big fitness ball in the sewing room. i sometimes DO sit on it while at the machine and find it very comfy. you don't notice but supposedly it requires use of core muscles that help tone that area. but you can kind of stretch and move around more on it. can also use it to lay across to stretch and kind of massage out those back muscles that tend to tense up. when i feel really energetic, i might add a few sit ups (using the ball). They come in sizes and mine is not the largest one. in order to keep elbows above the machine as described above, i'd need the largest size. they're good for lots of toning/strenghtening exercises apart from the uses i described. but for sitting, i like it very much. i have heard of others who do use the ball for this purpose. i do have an old-school office chair that is divine but 2 machines are out so i use the chair as well as the ball. one is recessed and the other is not. i agree the recessed machine is less fatiguing and thankfully, that's the one I use for FM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 AM

I learned a good tip on "Simply Quilts" show years ago. It's called “yes, no, maybe so” – sit straight, feet flat on the floor. Then slowly nod your head up & down (yes) 3 times, followed by side to side (no) 3 times, then finally, pull your shoulders up to your ears (maybe so) & relax down 3 times. Do this every 15-30 minutes, and you will be amazed at how well this relaxes your neck & shoulders.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM

I, too, have arthritis. All the above are great. Though the use of a TENS unit should be evaluated first by a licensed physical therapist and approved by a doctor. When sewing at my machine I do get up more often that I ever used to to just walk a bit and stretch.

When doing hand work I have a quilting/sewing pillow I use so that I don't have to look down so far. I also use it for reading heavy books.

I made some for friends. Just take two 18" squares, RST, and sew together with the corners of the top one at the midline of each side of the other square. Leave an opening and stuff the inside with pillow stuffing. Sew up open seam area. I put small triangular pockets on two opposing sides to hold things that might be wanted.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM

I too have the back brace and use it most of the time - until yes the elastic digs in a little. I have also found that putting two tennis balls in a sock and then hanging it on the back of the chair so that the balls hit my back in a comfortable place really helps me to sit up straight.