Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advertising HELP ! >

Need Advertising HELP !

Need Advertising HELP !

Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM

i'm very particular about what books i buy and the price that goes along with them.

if its just a book of patterns, odds are i will not buy the book unless its around $10 and i have to like or want to make at least 2 of the quilts in the book.

if the book teaches a concept that applies to quilt making beyond the patterns in the book - i'm willing to pay more around $20.

when i do buy books it has always been thru amazon because they seem to have the best price.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 AM

A free pattern would peek my interest if it was something unique that could draw me to the others in the book.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Quilt books? Books are easy to find at a discount online that you have to find a way to get the shopper to want to make an impulse buy. At a vendor booth, I would want to see sample quilts or blocks made from some of the books. Something that would motivate me to make one. Call surrounding guilds and offer to come to put on a free program for their meeting. Guilds love free programs! You can have the books for sale at the meetings.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I would try the fairs, ect, too.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I have to agree about doing programs at a quilt meeting. Our guild has a speaker nearly every month. A lot of them do a program covering a technique they have written a book about and always have them available for purchase.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Quilt books? Books are easy to find at a discount online that you have to find a way to get the shopper to want to make an impulse buy. At a vendor booth, I would want to see sample quilts or blocks made from some of the books. Something that would motivate me to make one. Call surrounding guilds and offer to come to put on a free program for their meeting. Guilds love free programs! You can have the books for sale at the meetings.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

What kind of books have you written.
Originally Posted by thequiltladies
I need a bit of HELP ! :?:

I took my books National about 8 months ago, did 2 big shows, they average about $2500.00 for 4 days, the vendor rental, gas, hotel and meals. And I don't buy anything. One was great and one was terrible, no foot traffic, I can't afford to do them much longer and these books are my dream. Questions?

What gets you to buy? What takes you to a blog? You buy from a quilt shop or internet?

I need your input, PLEASE. thank you :shock:
Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Glancing thru your website, I would suggest you go outside the quilting population. Are they stories that would appeal to doll collectors or toy buyers (Remember how popular the American Girl series was? It wasn't just a book or a doll, it was the collection). If the stories are geared toward more adult readers, I would check with local mom and pops - leave the books and a finished sample - things sell good on those counters, and once you have built a clientele list, they will spread the word. Send some to work or school with friends...I know a girl who started out a small craft business and this is how she did it...and now she has an office and 'mass production"....good luck.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Pam

There is a book I have heard of, but never read called Guerrilla Marketing. Could be just what you need, bet you can find it at the library or one of the online discount places. It is about finding and utilizing unusual places to market your products, good luck!!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Get your blog linked on a lot of other blogs for a start. Do you sell wholesale to local shops, not just quilt shops, but book and gift shops, too? Is there a local group of small business owners you can join? Craft organizations? For instance, the local farm stand in my town also sells works by local artisans. Is there something in your books that you could do as a tutorial on your blog to get more traffic? It would help to give suggestions if we knew more about the type of books!

Edit: I went to your website and really like the idea of the books...but is there any place that you show the quilt patterns featured in each book? I mean, like pictures of the quilts? I just don't see any. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 AM

I would definitely read those books! I just had no idea about them until this thread. Didn't even think about looking them up until I read responses that said I've checked your site and saw the books. We definitely need to get those books out into the main stream. I would read ALL of them if I had easy access!