Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advertising HELP ! >

Need Advertising HELP !

Need Advertising HELP !

Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 PM

I have some questions and suggestions for you:

Are these books self-published or did you get a publisher?

If the latter, what is your publisher doing to help promote your books?

Your advertising doesn't really say WHAT these books are - are they fiction? non-fiction? Is it about women and their relationships and lives and quilting is in the background? Do you use these characters to illustrate or teach quilting? I have to work too hard to figure that out from your website.

A sample chapter would go a really long way to helping me (and probably others) decide if these books are our cup of tea.

If you are self-publishing, having an affiliate program would likely help you - you can then get other people promoting your books and they would get a small portion of the sale price.

Also, the fact that there are 9 books in the series (so far) (and that's impressive!) is kind of scary - espeically if each volume is over 10 dollars -- that's a 100 dollar "investment" for someone to read all the books. lf you are selling hardcopy and these are hardcover or trade paper type books I suppose that price is justified, but remember you are competing with paperbacks that sell for significantly less.

I also didn't notice if you included a page count for the books - this is typically done.

Have you tried marketing on Facebook and Twitter? Do your books have crossover interest in other markets besides quilting?

"Guerrilla Marketing" involves activating your fan base to help spread the word and get your product known.

I've had an independent band and record label for over 10 years. marketing can be a full-time job.

If your books were instructional quilting books, I'd suggest that you hold workshops at various quilt guilds, and make the book part of the workshop (a few of our guild presenters did that and I picked up some nice books that way).

Feel free to PM me to talk more about marketing.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sewslow
I don't have any advertising advice but I just bought one of your books after reading your post. I was disappointed to read that having paid with PayPal I might have to wait 24 hours for the download. Probably a good thing since I'm elbow deep in making raspberry jam.
Didn't have to wait for download. It was in my inbox right after I wrote the above.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

OK, I took another, more careful look at your website. I'm slightly less confused, and I'm starting to think that you have a short story and a pattern in each book - is this right?

The fact that I have to ask you this question means that your web copy does not explain WHAT you are selling, nor WHY I would be interested in purchasing it.

If these are quilt patterns, you really [i]really[i] need an illustration of the finished quilt somewhere in the product description.

I believe this is a unique product - something that I've never seen before: a story and quilt pattern bundled together. That could be an angle to get publicity in a variety of venues. You should have

(a) a press release that goes absolutely everywhere.
(b) write one or more articles about these items and submit them for publication to every quilting magazine (I am not sure you can do that all at once - you'll have to research submission guidelines)
(c) a marketing plan (probably this should be "a" and be done first. Decide if you are going to sell wholesale to retailers (and figure out which retailers) or retail? That will tell you what markets to go after.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I just don't buy books. I get them from my library or get a free pattern from the net. I think books are hard to sell now. Spending $20-$24...I'd rather buy fabric with that.
I'm with you on this. I don't want to pay so much for a book that has only one pattern that interests me. I have so many free patterns from the internet that I had to buy another 2" ring binder today to hold my latest print outs. I spend more time surfing quilt sites than I do quilting right now.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM

I would also do coupons or deals on your books. I don't pay full price for anything I don't have to. I absolutely don't know of anything I've paid full price for related to quilting in years except perhaps fabric for an emergency baby quilt. I recently bought eleven (11) Quilting Mystery Novels by another authur (one title of 11: "Delectable Mountains")for $35.00; regular price on eash was $7.99. These were 2nd hand, already read; however, when you look at half.com and Connecting Threads, they both have books at 40% or more off on a regular basis - new and used. In this economy, I can tell you everyone is looking for the most for their money. Anything you can do to make a really good deal on either small groups of your books (like 1st, 2nd & 3rd books for $18 + media mail shipping; or something similar) or a total price for all books in a series with a really deep discount. Sorry this is so long, I just want you to do well and not be discouraged. Many folks have given you some really good suggestions. Make yourself a goal list to try them out and take one day at a time; this to shall pass. Best wishes, Josi
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM

What I love in quilt books is when they make a quilt in one set of colors/prints then another set of colors/prints. If I don't like one set of colors I might like the other set. But I wouldn't buy the book if I couldn't imagine it in colors/prints I like. So if you can, either through computer trickery, or by sewing another quilt, make copies of your quilts in other colors/fabric prints. I hope this makes since.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Hope that you can post a blog about your book. Would love to see it. I buy what interests me. Because I am a single mom. It really has to catch me.
And I agree with Charlee. The Car shows, gun shows or maybe swaps meets. Your book should be able to sell on its own.
But around fabrics. My guess is a quilter or beginner, has to walk away from all those pretty fabrics. She may never find again. Not sure I would have the self control for that.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Power Poster

Some great suggestions here, 'specially Charlee's.

I worked in the book trade for many years...selling books is a thing many would like to do but is very hard graft and the margins tight. I note you self-publish...this is not a negative, but have you thought of submitting your manuscript/s to a publishing house?

If you prefer to not go through a publisher, perhaps approach a book marketing agency, they will show your books when doing sell ins to booksellers and library suppliers. This is an excellent way to sell multiple copies and to get repeat business and possibly public lending rights (not sure how that works in the USA). An agent will of course expect a commission, but if the sales volume is there it could work to your advantage.

Anyway...looks like you now have plenty of food for thought. All the best with your endeavour.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM

i would have to agree with all of the above and i would also suggest your local or in the area quilt guilds offer to do a free program and then bring your books for sale, maybe offer a discount if they buy today..i personally would love to see what you are selling...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thequiltladies
I need a bit of HELP ! :?:

I took my books National about 8 months ago, did 2 big shows, they average about $2500.00 for 4 days, the vendor rental, gas, hotel and meals. And I don't buy anything. One was great and one was terrible, no foot traffic, I can't afford to do them much longer and these books are my dream. Questions?

What gets you to buy? What takes you to a blog? You buy from a quilt shop or internet?

I need your input, PLEASE. thank you :shock:

I buy from wherever I find reasonably priced stuff, ebay/fabric wharehouse/shop/internet sites and this morning got some doggy fabric from a car boot sale [lots of sellers with stallstables usually on a field.
sadly here there is little choice so do buy from US but the postage is exhorbitant ,so have to get a lot at a time to make it worthwhile.