Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advertising HELP ! >

Need Advertising HELP !

Need Advertising HELP !

Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 AM

The books look great! I agree with all of the above comments... shows, libraries, etc. A strong on-line presence is PERTINENT in this age! It is the only way to connect people that you aren't geographically close to... which expands your market by tons.

Can I give you some critical feedback on the website? >ducking from flying tomatoes<
There are some spelling errors that catch my attention...
and (IMHO) the "ladies" in the book descriptions need to have less " " " around them; or none at all.
Can you also 'prettify' (speaking of spelling errors!) the website? I know.. it's all money... but a nice website and easy navigation mean a lot.
Also giving another description of you, your business, your goal-of sorts- in laymans terms near the top of both the blog and the website would help... I had to scroll down and read the descriptions to kind of understand what the books were about.

I wish you the very best!!! I hope you can find something that works for you... you've obviously poured your heart and soul into these books and I hope you can receive that investment back... by selling LOTS!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by deedles215
Can I give you some critical feedback on the website? >ducking from flying tomatoes<
There are some spelling errors that catch my attention...
and (IMHO) the "ladies" in the book descriptions need to have less " " " around them; or none at all.
Can you also 'prettify' (speaking of spelling errors!) the website? I know.. it's all money... but a nice website and easy navigation mean a lot.
Also giving another description of you, your business, your goal-of sorts- in laymans terms near the top of both the blog and the website would help... I had to scroll down and read the descriptions to kind of understand what the books were about.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I think you need to be clearer about what you're selling, and the top part of your website is the first place people look. If I hadn't read your request for help, I wouldn't bother scrolling down for information.

You might check with your local chamber of commerce or other business organizations to see if there's some marketing training available for you - I know our local community college has adult ed classes for entrepreneurs. Also, there is an organization called SCORE that may be able to help you with business mentoring.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM

I buy new quilt books all of the time for a new technique or for skill building. I have preferred authors and I have new authors. All books are great and I always remember what I have seen in them so that when a new project comes up I know just where to find them. Mostly I buy at my LQS.
I like to support my LQS(s).
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Word of mouth is huge!
How about hitting various local quilt shops and guilds. Offer a few free books that they can raffle at meetings and see if you can get your name, web site and books into their shops and into quilters hands.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 AM

I go to the internet for ideas, but always buy my fabric from a store. As far as books are concerned, I'll buy them usually online, but I have to see patterns and colors that I like on the inside before I ever buy. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Go to quilt guild meeting with a program and show the quilts. Also go to shops with the quilts and books and have a program at the shops. Go to book stores. Get a book company to back you. Get them in libruaries.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Do you have a website where I can look at your books to see if I am interested in buying?

Originally Posted by thequiltladies
I need a bit of HELP ! :?:

I took my books National about 8 months ago, did 2 big shows, they average about $2500.00 for 4 days, the vendor rental, gas, hotel and meals. And I don't buy anything. One was great and one was terrible, no foot traffic, I can't afford to do them much longer and these books are my dream. Questions?

What gets you to buy? What takes you to a blog? You buy from a quilt shop or internet?

I need your input, PLEASE. thank you :shock:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by thequiltladies
I need a bit of HELP ! :?:

I took my books National about 8 months ago, did 2 big shows, they average about $2500.00 for 4 days, the vendor rental, gas, hotel and meals. And I don't buy anything. One was great and one was terrible, no foot traffic, I can't afford to do them much longer and these books are my dream. Questions?

What gets you to buy? What takes you to a blog? You buy from a quilt shop or internet?

I need your input, PLEASE. thank you :shock:
After reading the board responses and looking at your website, I have several suggestions, too. How about marketing a kit that goes with the book? Or at least showing the quilt from the book online? Perhaps letting online viewers read a bit of the book like they do with a "Kindle" sample. (Is there a kindle version of the book?) You need to make the book descriptions more intriquing so that adult readers will want to buy the book. What makes these books different than the Elm Creek series? What gets me to buy something is it's "uniqueness." A new technique; a new design; an interesting and riveting story - something that's not already out there. Also, I agree with the person who said you need to do some proofreading of your site.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM

I don't have any advertising advice but I just bought one of your books after reading your post. I was disappointed to read that having paid with PayPal I might have to wait 24 hours for the download. Probably a good thing since I'm elbow deep in making raspberry jam.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
At quilt shows, you're competing with every "quilty" vendor there is...and it's hard to sell a novel when the vendor next to you has fabrics! I know I gravitate to the fabrics everytime!
Go outside of the box, and take your booth to non-traditional venues...gun shows, car shows, county fairs, flea markets...where you are not set up next to the "other guys", but instead are offering something unique and different than the other vendors that are set up. I know I did my best sales when I made and sold beadwork at the kinds of shows I listed above. It gives the ladies that are tagging along with their husbands something to look at, and you get "guilt and/or revenge sales"....the guys buy stuff for their guns or car collections, and either buy the ladies something that interests them, or the ladies buy it because their man bought something he didn't need! ;)
It also tends to be less expensive to set up at these kinds of shows! :)
I totally agree with Charlee, you must go to other venues. Hook up with local Garden Clubs, they have plant sales, etc. The local farmers markets are hot venues right now for everything and there's always a crowd buying fresh local products. So think outside the box!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna