Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need challenges! >

Need challenges!

Need challenges!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:43 PM

We have found when creativity wanes here..... we need to take more vitamin D. It's been cooler, gray and dreary here recently and without sunshine, we don't have enough D. Try taking 1000iu per 30lbs of body weight every day for a couple weeks and see if you feel inspired again.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I have been steadily making quilts since 2002. I never get into a slump and I am so glad. I have many,many yards of fabrics. Have been making mostly scrappies for the last couple years.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 PM

You mentioned that you recently finished the Bali Wedding star (sure looks challenging). I find that when I've completed a particularly challenging or long project I need to re-energize by either doing something else (like getting my nose into a few books, taking on a house cleaning or repair projects, etc) ; or explore a new technique. often I don't "finish" that exploration because I get focused on an unfinished project--but since I usually have many projects going at a time, I just add the "exploration" to the pile. check out one of Jean Wells books on innovative piecing. (I often just start piecing strings when I'm in a lull--just mindless sewing!)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Right now I am working on two quilts at once because one is very intense. I do one of those blocks and then 2 or 3 of the other quilt. Sometimes I switch to knitting if my hands aren't hurting. If all else fails I read. That could be a mystery book or it could be quilting books. I think it still counts as quilting if you are taking a Craftsy class or watching videos of techniques.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM

Ryder; like your ideas of play. Not sure where I'm going but enjoying the journey.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 AM

I will sit down with a good book and lose myself in it. That is what I do when I lose interest in things. It helps me.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Yes, that happens to me. It seems like this year I've run into several dead ends with projects.
I made about 3 tops this year that I ended up not liking in various stages. Then I saw a Shakespeare in the Park on the board and made one. It was more challenging and very enjoyable!
It is now being long-armed and I just got my sewing room all cleaned up. I thought that might help me too.
I love that big stitch quilting! Faintly Artistic has done some wonderful work with that and I'm going to give it a go. I have been a hand quilter but am learning FMQ (hard!) but I want to learn.
As for the dead end projects- I put them away. I may get back to them someday but I'm not going to stress about it.
I also have a few hand projects that I like to work on at night. Right now it's EPP.
Glad you brought this up. I don't feel so alone!

So sweet that you share your evenings with your parrot! I do the same with my cat

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-25-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to add: Ginger's Mom has convinced me to FMQ a quilt for my brother. Let me explain:
I'm very new to the technique. Well my brother doesn't know a quilt from a surf board so it really
won't matter if the stitches are perfect so I'm going to do it!! His bedspread is in tatters so I know he'll use it.
I get so much inspiration from all of you! BTW it was another top I didn't end up liking but it's mannish
so I think he will. He's not fussy!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-25-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 AM

I find I get like this every year about this time, I’ve started making some of the Tilda angels and toys as these are different and make me feel a bit more up beat.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 AM

I print out pictures of projects that I see on the 'net that I particularly like and keep them pinned up around my sewing room. Some stay up a LONG time, some I take down pretty quickly, but they all give me inspiration when I get stuck.
I always have one project that is kind of mindless that I can just work on...right now it is doing the quilting on a baby quilt..so that if I come to a roadblock on my main project I still have something to do.

Watson