Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need challenges! >

Need challenges!

Need challenges!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Yes...I go through the same thing, which is why I have lots of projects going at once. They are all in different stages. So I can switch tasks if needed (quilting, piecing, applique, etc...) . I find that BOM's and other groups like that keep me inspired because there is always something new and fun to try and then to share.

I also realized at some point that I do have to give myself permission to punt. I don't HAVE to finish everything. If the blocks aren't going the right way..they can become orphans for another project and I can reclaim the fabric. I've even given mostly done projects away that someone else finished with wonderful results. (I did that with a one-block wonder earlier this year. The idea was great, and I got the triangles sewn into the threesies, but a seized up when it came to sewing those rows together. Ugh. The person I gave it to make a charity quilt and was THRILLED!)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Yes, sometimes I just don’t want to do anything that I’ve already started (even if I just started it 2 hours ago). When that happens, rather than starting an official project, I grab some fabric and PLay. I might just sit and stitch some of my machine’s decorative stitches on a scrap of fabric and batting, or I might FMQ “scribbles” all over some scrap fabric sandwiches. I might look in a book or on-line to find a technique that I’ve never tried before and play with it... the point is to PLAY. Playing with my fabrics, threads, machines, fabric paints, etc. without having any purpose in mind often helps me learn new techniques that later on get incorporated into projects. I find that letting loose and just playing also helps me recharge when I’m not feeling creative. A bonus is that sometimes the scraps I’m playing with turn out to be nice art pieces, other times they end up being samples that I can refer back to.

When I’m playing I ask myself “what if” questions like “what would happen if I tried to combine these two decorative stitches”. or “what if I did some quilting on some fabric and then painted it with fabric paints or with my inktense pencils.

you might want to check out the National quilter’s circle— specifically the techniques taught by Heather Thomas, even if you don’t like her very non-traditional approach to quilt making, you may find that there are some techniques you would enjoy trying that could be incorporated into your quiltmaking practice. Another thing you may want to try is doing some pattern free quiltmaking— Joe Cunningham teaches a good introduction on Craftsy (called Pattern Free Quiltmaking) with some tricks to help you set some boundaries or rules to help guide your exploration into pattern free quilt making. It’s a good class for folks who are used to using patterns but want to get their feet wet doing some improvisational quilting.

Rob
Thank you. This is very helpful. I seldom if ever PLAY with my fabrics LOL ... i usually just create and move forward ... will take that into account
Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
When I get Blah and unisnspired I go to pinterest and click around and enjoy what others have done. Or I start cleaning the sewing room, ironing and folding and sorting fabric and scraps. It seems a clean room says "let's make something" to me. If nothing pops to mind, I may just cut scraps into 2 1/2" squares, or 2" strips. If that doesn't kick it, I make something for someone else....like a baby quilt or a QOV quilt or a shelter quilt and think about others. And before you know it, the blahs have passed, and you are on your way again with soring creativity.
I have about 2000 pins for quilts ... I love them, just have no desire LOL ...

All my quilts are donated, I only keep one or two for myself for about a year or two, and then they go into the donation pile LOL
Old 10-25-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
We have found when creativity wanes here..... we need to take more vitamin D. It's been cooler, gray and dreary here recently and without sunshine, we don't have enough D. Try taking 1000iu per 30lbs of body weight every day for a couple weeks and see if you feel inspired again.
Thank you for the thought! I share my sewing room with my parrot, so the whole room is lit by special lights that are like sunlight - it is very bright, and I did notice (16 years ago when I got my parrot) that once I got those specific lights my winter doldrums did go away!!!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I will sit down with a good book and lose myself in it. That is what I do when I lose interest in things. It helps me.
I am an avid reader!!!! My problem right now is that this is where I spend quality time with my parrot ... I can't bring her to other parts of the house as I have a cat and dog (and they would eat her LOL). So I need to be able to stay in the "craft" room and be with her. I also can't do any crafts that have scent or super small pieces (like puzzles - tried that once, she destroyed two pieces in about 5 seconds flat!)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Yes, I was getting bored with doing many of the same blocks for large quilts so I changed to doing samplers and now to doing 6" blocks that I find free on many sites. These are send to a Canadian group to make into quilts for the needy. I've done over 120 now! All different! Never bored anymore!
What is the name of the group? I would love to be able to do that!!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded! I replied to some, and then realized that I was filling up the whole 2nd page with my responses.

This is one of the many reasons I so love this forum. The ideas are endless, and even if they don't work for me, I can take the kernel of the idea and work it into my life.

I've decided to make fast easy blocks with lots of negative space to practice FMQ (yes, I will look up Leah Day - thank you). My friend has 7 cats, and I asked her today if she would like cat bed / quilts that are sewn together rather horribly while I practice my FMQ. They will be about 24x36 inches - because I have learned that smaller is easier to work with! She cracked up laughing, and said absolutely - the more the better - the kitties won't care!!!! So I have a place to give my practice pieces to (I hate throwing stuff out).

I did pretty good with the big stitch hand quilting last night while watching the hockey game, so will finish that quilt like that, and I have another that I could do the same with.

So thank you again to everyone who posted, greatly appreciated, and makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there who starts something and says BAH, not doing it!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:18 PM

When this happens to me I go to my UFO projects and take out one that I haven't worked on for years and start working on that. I also like to work on several projects at a time to keep me interested in finishing.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:49 AM

I was brain dead all summer.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM

Have you tried designing a completely new pattern? Inspiration could come from fabrics or another hobby. Use new stiches. You might be re-invigorated by the math and design challenges of your own pattern.