Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need challenges! >

Need challenges!

Need challenges!

Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

rryder is right on with playing with fabric. If you are a more structured quilter try mindless sewing of blocks. I love my mindless sewing of 9P's or 4P's. Since I save measured strips in bins it's easy to grab some lights and darks for contrast. If that's not right I will sew leftover HST cutoffs into squares. I have learned so much about color and design placement when doing this kind of work. The HST's can be made into shoofly bocks, pinwheels, broken dishes...... When I get 10 blocks sewn I pin them together and throw them into a clear jar.
This is a result of one of my "jar" quilts". I just finished a "jar" quilt using 2" squares in my 9P's and now filling a jar with 4P's made from 2" squares for a new quilt. Meanwhile my current big project is a "jar" quilt from house blocks.

A big mini!

This is a quick way to clean out some 1 1/2" strips. Great mindless sewing project.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...-tutorial.html
Old 10-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I love your big mini! WOW
Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 AM

You may just need a break. I will switch off to another craft (I also work in wood and paint) and at some point I find myself looking a lot at my fabric stash and know it is time to go back. I think we just need to work other parts of our creativity. Perhaps you can do something else within the fabric world - make some soft toys to donate, perhaps some home accessory items (placemats and potholder sets, centerpieces, kitchen towels and apron sets). Then you can stash them in the cupboard for emergency gifts. Another good gift is wine bottle covers and tote bags or messenger bags for kids. Just something to let your quilt brain refresh itself.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I think my best inspiration, is looking at photographs of my earlier work, or that made by others. I see beautiful things and it makes me want to finish projects. I also remind myself that I spent good money for the fabric and I do not like to waste things.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 AM

Yes, definitely sounds like me. I tend to get bored easily after starting projects. I even started something recently that is a real challenge for me and I'm successfuly forcing myself to keep going on it. I've found that the monthly quilting clubs at the quilt shop are what keeps my interest. For instance, next month for the modern club we are supposed to do something showing gradation. Knowing that I have "homework" to show next month is inspring to me.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:14 AM

Fortunately, I still have too many projects on my bucket list plus all the recent baby quilts for my kids and their friends.

I hope you find something to challenge yourself and keep your creative talents flowing.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
I have so many projects on my bucket list that I want to hurry through the one I'm on to get to the others!
Same here, Lol!!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM

Yes, I was getting bored with doing many of the same blocks for large quilts so I changed to doing samplers and now to doing 6" blocks that I find free on many sites. These are send to a Canadian group to make into quilts for the needy. I've done over 120 now! All different! Never bored anymore!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 AM

I recently made a bag for me Serger, and a smaller one for supplies. I found that really fun and a nice challenge from piecing, yet with a lot of similarities. I find clothing to be a whole different ball game, but this was quite similar to making quilts with the cutting, mostly straight stitch 1/4" seams and putting on a lot of binding.

The best - I can use my quilting fabric!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM

What if you did something freestyle? Complex piecing is fun like a puzzle at first but it gets repetitive very quickly. There are so many more ways to make a quilt besides traditional piecing. Stretch your boundaries but don't overwhelm yourself--make a small quilt, maybe a table runner or wall hanging. Draw it yourself and translate it to fabric. Have fun with it.

Leah Day has some great free free-motion quilting patterns (with videos) on her website. I urge you to try it, you'll never go back. (PS: Free motion quilting is much easier on a small piece.)