Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia >

Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

Old 11-09-2016, 05:36 PM

I also have fibro and neck/shoulder issues and I find the slidelock rulers indispensable. I use it with my shape cut ruler and love both. I'd be lost without them.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM

I have the Havels Quilt Ruler Cutter. I like how safe it is, nice crisp clean cuts and easy to store. I too have Fibromyalgia and difficulty with my wrists. My issue with the Havels cutter is that I don't have enough strength to push down on the cutter part all the way to the end. Maybe it's the lack of strength in my hands but pressing down on the cutter is more difficult for me than I expected it to be. I really like it very much but it hasn't resolved my issue with cutting.
I have the Quilter's SlideLock rulers and have no issues with them at all. They are so easily stored, fabric doesn't slip and affordable. Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I would just like to add to all the good comments and recommendations that when the blade is very sharp cutting is so much easier. So if you use anything where you can change the blade, do it often so you don't have to push down as hard. I just cut strips for two quilts and I don't have any issues, but, it was getting harder so I changed the rotary cutter blade and then it went through the layers "like buttah"!! Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Thank you again for all the help and encouragement here, I've decided to get the Go Big electric! Hopefully, there will be an Accuquilt sale over Black Friday. I'm trying to decide what die/dies to add to the few I already own, which were a Value Die and the 12" Mix and Match Blocks that came with my Go a few years ago. If I started with the strip dies, then I could use them to cut bindings, borders and pieces of strips that could be used for paper piecing. I would use a 5" Ginger scissors to trim down the seam allowances of the paper piecing, which is what I did before. I have a craftsy class and ebook from Peggy Martin on paper piecing with strips, and could start with one of her designs. Any suggestions for dies to use for paper piecing are much appreciated! Otherwise, I could start with a 6" Go Qube and play with those dies. I have so many projects spinning in my head! Beth

Last edited by tailormaid; 11-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.