Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help to find pattern..

You never did say the name of the pattern for future reference although I wouldn't be making it. !!!

I would love to find the pattern

community benefactor sfguimaraes's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful! I would love to make one for me!!! ;)

its beautiful, I think Id like to make one. Id do it as a quilt as you go, and a sandwich of 2 circles and batt, (circle 1 - rite side out, layer batt shape on it, 2 circle rite side to batt, sew around outeredge, leave opening, turn, press, close.) Make a batch of finished circles first. Then, find the hex size to fit in the circle, (you can do all this on paper first to make a patt). Then just sew back to back, in this pic the backs are all white, in rows, press open and sew down the petals - I think that would work and it would be done when you got to the size you wanted sharet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arimuse
    its beautiful, I think Id like to make one. Id do it as a quilt as you go, and a sandwich of 2 circles and batt, (circle 1 - rite side out, layer batt shape on it, 2 circle rite side to batt, sew around outeredge, leave opening, turn, press, close.) Make a batch of finished circles first. Then, find the hex size to fit in the circle, (you can do all this on paper first to make a patt). Then just sew back to back, in this pic the backs are all white, in rows, press open and sew down the petals - I think that would work and it would be done when you got to the size you wanted sharet
    This is exactly what I'm doing right now with a piece of paper. But it is not enough... doing this (I hope my "English" is understandable... LOL) what happens is that we have a smaller "white petal"...

Look: if we "open" the white petal, what results is not a circle...

It seems to me that we need to begin with a "flower 6 petal" shape...

What do you think???

You need the "Less Than Traditional" pattern Quilters Haven
    POB 4873, Covina,CA 91723 or Qhpatterns@aol.com
    Here is their ph.#1 626 339 4788. I have made several of these
    quilts and they are easy to make.

Blog Entries
    My engineering-to-be son gave me some explanations about how to make the tm
    emplate... LOL

Lets try to see if I understood... LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M.
    You need the "Less Than Traditional" pattern Quilters Haven
    POB 4873, Covina,CA 91723 or Qhpatterns@aol.com
    Here is their ph.#1 626 339 4788. I have made several of these
    quilts and they are easy to make.
    May be I got the wrong place... because the one I found (link) finishes with the traditional 4 white petals:

http://quiltingwithcharlie.com/picts...ox-content.jpg

Couls you please send me the link with the template that allows me to finish with a 6-petal pattern like this one? heeeeelp! LOL

Blog Entries
    Pat, do you sew the folded "petals" together like you do when doing a square? I've done that but can't think how i'd sew the hexagon shape folds over together. unless i just slip stitch them as one would do with smaller hex's.

I think I have the "original" design in Japanese...can you believe it? I started this quilt 20 years ago. Am handquilting...thus I don't work on it often enough. I'll probably be buried with all the sections! :-)

THe quilt in the magazine is called Blue Charm. That's just what the author of the article called it, she can't find out the real name for it either. The pattern piece is a hexagon shape with "petals" coming out of the sides of the hexagon, like how sfguimaraes drew it in the post above. The pattern says that the petals need a 1/8" seam allowance added for when you fold the petal down and stitch it, you need to turn under the edges, but the actual hexagon itself doesn't need a seam allowance because it's being tucked under the petals. So there are two pattern peices actually, a hexagon (for the batting and for the colored fabric) and a hexagon with petals added for the bottom white fabric. They have a copy of the magazine on ebay, I looked yesterday LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sfguimaraes
    This is exactly what I'm doing right now with a piece of paper. But it is not enough... doing this (I hope my "English" is understandable... LOL) what happens is that we have a smaller "white petal"...

What do you think???
    You are right, a petal shape gives you a much lager petal shape when u fold it to the front. Just a plain circle doesn't give as much of a curved petal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramma Deb

You are right, a petal shape gives you a much lager petal shape when u fold it to the front. Just a plain circle doesn't give as much of a curved petal.
    DONE! Thanks to my son!!! ;-)

I'll post 15 pictures... lets see if it is understandable...

The continuous line is the one to be followed...
    Name:  Attachment-203427.jpe
Views: 1400
Size:  23.4 KB

Pay attention how small would be the petal, if we only have folded the circle in 6 parts... (it only works with the traditional 4 petals...)
    Name:  Attachment-203437.jpe
Views: 1394
Size:  39.9 KB

You can print this picture, to have your template...
    Name:  Attachment-203439.jpe
Views: 1390
Size:  17.2 KB

I hope it is understandable... but if you don't want to deal with all this geometry stuff, you can only print the 9th picture! Now, let's look for the fabric!!! LOL We still need the seam allowances, of course! :)
    Name:  Attachment-203440.jpe
Views: 1401
Size:  24.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

My pattern starts with a hexagon, then she shows to put the compass point in the middle of one of the sides of the hexagon and draw your half circle petal from there. If that makes sense LOL. That way the petal is big enough to fold over I guess. And dont forget to add a small seam allowance around the petals as well.

Now I know why I should have taken geometry!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Now I know why I should have taken geometry!
    LOL...

:thumbup:

What do you think???
    I will have to sit later today w/ a paper to try and sort it out. I think the hex has to be smaller than the circle to allow the "petals " to fold back and touch. If the hex goes to the edge of the circle whan you fold the petals back they leave a space, maybe the hex center has to be at least 1/4" from the edge of the circle?? sharet

What do you think???
    I will have to sit later today w/ a paper to try and sort it out. I think the hex has to be smaller than the circle to allow the "petals " to fold back and touch. If the hex goes to the edge of the circle whan you fold the petals back they leave a space, maybe the hex center has to be at least 1/4" from the edge of the circle?? sharet
    Yes, my pattern shows the inside hex as being slightly smaller than the petals, not quite quarter inch though.

oh, yes, I like your "petal" shape, it would work perfectly, sharet

The author also clips a little between each petal almost to the colored fabric hexagon, so that it fold over better I guess.

I'm sure I'll never make this pattern, but it is gorgeous!

This pattern is a mock cathedral window. Cut two flower shaped pieces, one for the center and one for the petals. Center a square of batting (if you want) stitch all the way around with right sides together. Make a little snip in the center fabric where the petals will fold over and cover it. Turn right side out. Make a bunch of them, fold the petals over and stitch them together. No curved piecing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearspaws
    The author also clips a little between each petal almost to the colored fabric hexagon, so that it fold over better I guess.
    Evelyn, please, do you know if we can find "the official" template free on the internet??? I would like to see it...

I have not seen this pattern before, but I think maybe you might be able to make your own by looking at the picture, and try making a sample. Just a thought.

Mary

Fons and Porter had this pattern years ago, I made it as an "I spy" quilt for granddaughter... I will find the issue if anyone is interested. Quilter 1234 It just had 4 petals....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast