Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame >

Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame

Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame

Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sharkluver View Post
Can anyone tell me what the value of this machine would be? I have the opportunity to purchase one for $200, however, I would need to purchase the foot pedal and a manual for it (at the very least, I am not sure if the knee lever is included or what accessories also come with it at this point). I am wondering if it is worth the $200?
I need to clarify: the machine I am referring to the Brother Noevlle 1500s machine
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Ok I have that machine. Retail on it is usually $899 US, although you can find it on sale for $599. If someone paid $2000 for it, they might have purchased it as part of a quilting setup, with a frame. I bought mine from a quilter who had it on a New Joy frame and upgraded to a larger setup. I paid $400 for the machine and frame, gently used. I don't use it to quilt anymore because I acquired an 18" stretched Singer. It's now my "daily driver", my piecing machine.
The Brother 1500 is an awesome machine, easy to operate, reliable, solid. As I said, if it were me, and I had the opportunity to check the machine and make sure it runs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Yes, even though I already own one. I'd buy a second one as a backup!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks Peckish! I have read some posts on the web where people have issues with the tension on the machine.... I am a little afraid of that aspect of it, I have a electronic machine and love that I don't have to mess with the tension I am still waiting for information on the machine and I imagine it was purchased as part of a quilting package because it is being offered on a classified site by one of the owners of our LQS.
?? Have you used the machine for FMQ? That is the feature that has me the most interested in this machine....
Old 04-28-2014, 11:42 AM

Whoops, I realize now that my last post was a little confusing. That's what I get for trying to post from my cell phone.

I don't use my Brother for FMQ, I only use it for piecing. There is a very large and wonderful Yahoo group for that machine, I recommend you join it. There are many members who do use it for FMQ who can help you. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info

And please don't be afraid to adjust the tension!! In my honest opinion, there is no one machine that can automatically adjust the tension for you when you are quilting. There are just too many variables: what size thread you're using, what size needle, how fast or slow you're moving your hands, what kind of batting you're using, etc. Every good longarm quilter I know tests (and sometimes has to adjust) the tension on her machine after every bobbin change. You simply need to read and learn as much as you can about tension, then quilt some practice pieces so you can see what happens when your top tension is off, when your bottom tension is off, how to fix it, etc. It's like cooking. Once you learn how, it's much better and more satisfying to cook your own food rather than let McDonald's cook for you every night.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Thanks Peckish! I am really learning a lot from you!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Peckish, I took a leap of faith and purchased the PQ1500s! It did not have a foot pedal and so I am not certain that it sews but it turns on with the power cord and I bought it from our local quilt shop and I am confident that they did not sell me a bad machine (well, fingers crossed)! I am going to be ordering a foot pedal for it in the next day or so and am very, very excited to start to play with it Do you, by chance, know a good place to purchase bobbins and other accessories for the machine?
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Woo hoo!!! I think you will like it. I have 7 machines and that one is my favorite out of all of them, including the Janome 1600DB, which is almost identical.

I can recommend Allbrands.com for parts and accessories, they have very good customer service.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how you're doing on it, and what you think of it! Did you join the Yahoo group yet? You can download both the operating manual AND the service manual from the files once you're a member.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

I did join the group and am enjoying the information they share there I cant wait to start to play with it, it will be a long wait for the UPS man to bring the foot pedal ......
Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I use mine for piecing also, and I love it!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 PM

This may become my main quilting machine and my other machine which has the fancy stitches and can embroider may take a 'back seat' to the PQ1500s if it performs as well as you are all saying