Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help, Please >

Need Help, Please

Need Help, Please

Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM

I'd add a lightweight fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric, then cut it out so the design is straight. The interfacing will handle the off-grain complications. You may have to machine quilt though...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SEHindy
I'd add a lightweight fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric, then cut it out so the design is straight. The interfacing will handle the off-grain complications. You may have to machine quilt though...
I'll be sure and remember this information for future, if I run across this problem and need it to be straight. Thanks! I'm sure learning a lot of things.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Can you call the place you ordered the kit from and get more fabric by returning what you have?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
For something that has such an obvious direction of design, I would prefer to have the design straight and not worry about grain. Will you have enough if you cut to straighten it? I've found, quite often, that the kits I've purchased have barely enough fabric and sometimes are short.
I agree. Go with the design and try to handle it gently as it will be off-grain. Although, when it's quilted, it will be fine.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Fabric is put on bolts by machine. Many times, than not, it gets pulled to one side in the roll process.
A Home Ec teacher always made up straighten our fabric prior to cutting. Sometimes it was way off grain.....We worked in teams. We were taught to pull a thread to get the real true grain. I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE...WASTE OF TIME. But I do smooth out my fabric, then line up the pattern so it is straight, then I get my husband on one end of the fabric piece. Open it up to the 44/45 width, like you are going to fold a sheet. I get my husband to pull hard on the corner that is not matching up, while I pull on the opposite side. This works against the out of shape,pulled portion of the piece. Basically you are pulling it back into shape. You have to do this several times to get the pattern in the fabric to even out.
D inTX
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
Fabric is put on bolts by machine. Many times, than not, it gets pulled to one side in the roll process.
A Home Ec teacher always made up straighten our fabric prior to cutting. Sometimes it was way off grain.....We worked in teams. We were taught to pull a thread to get the real true grain. I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE...WASTE OF TIME. But I do smooth out my fabric, then line up the pattern so it is straight, then I get my husband on one end of the fabric piece. Open it up to the 44/45 width, like you are going to fold a sheet. I get my husband to pull hard on the corner that is not matching up, while I pull on the opposite side. This works against the out of shape,pulled portion of the piece. Basically you are pulling it back into shape. You have to do this several times to get the pattern in the fabric to even out.
D inTX
I must have missed that day in home ec class when they taught that trick. It does sound quite logical. I will have to remember to try it. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by linmid
Can you call the place you ordered the kit from and get more fabric by returning what you have?
It was to be cut up in such a way that it didn't matter for this particular piece. But was wondering for future reference. It is all new to me.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM

If you want it straight, start at right hand side and pull a couple of threads very gently across to the other side. If the threads break, use a pin to pick them up again. Probably need to do the same to the bottom. But before you begin consider this, you might lose a couple of inches of fabric. Since you are cutting it into small pieces, you have already received some very sound advice.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Yes, thank you.