Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with quilt color choices >

need help with quilt color choices

need help with quilt color choices

Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
..........doing a french braid.............I leave them spread out for a day or two on the cutting table so everytime I walk past it I'll see them.
Better still ... lay them out on your bed, with your current spread covered with what may become your main fabric, to give a better sense as to how it will look in the actual room.

KinMinis ... I hadn't thought of a French Braid, but it would fit right in with my earlier list of suggestions. Thanks Snooze2978 for mentioning it!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-12-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:08 AM

Thank you all for replying and helping me out with the color choices. I am an advanced beginner/intermediate quilter, so I love your pattern suggestions, please keep them coming! I have not used very many different patterns since I started quilting in 2011, but I am always looking for a new pattern challenge, that is fairly easy for my sewing level.

Here are a few quilts I have made. The purple one has my daughter's wedding photos embedded in it for a wall hanging. The first star quilt was my first attempt at a level of difficulty (for me), as you can see I did not do a good of laying out my blocks properly-note the same color blocks on the left side. Live and learn!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568110[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568114[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568115[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568113[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails finished-mom-hawley-quilt1-dpi55.jpg   baby-quilt-top-60dpi.jpg   quilt-bed-60dpi.jpg   100_3911.jpg   img_0089.jpg  

Last edited by kinminis; 02-12-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM

I would go with the peach/orange tone of the lamp shade as your predominant color. That would really pop against the green and dark brown headboard, and I think the room could use some brightening.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM

King size is a big investment. I would go for a pillow sham, bed runner or throw size first and see how it goes. I would hate to put all that time and effort to have her not like the end result.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:37 AM

A friend was moving away and our small group worked on a quilt for her. She picked brown, cream, and green color scheme. The pattern is Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Blossom.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pineapple-2-.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kinminis View Post
.....The first star quilt was my first attempt at a level of difficulty (for me), as you can see I did not do a good of laying out my blocks properly-note the same color blocks on the left side. Live and learn!
You're doing a great job KinMinis, as I see some lovely quilts that are well pieced, flat and well coordinated in colours and fabrics. Don't beat yourself up on that oops ..... sometimes no matter how much I look at placement, I still have a miss and shake my head later! As you said, we live and learn from those, and move on!! Good Luck in deciding what you want to do for your sister. From what I see, you are quite capable to try new/different challenges.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
How about using mixed creams, and tans with small amounts of green, peach, rust. It addresses all of the colors in the draperies and even the wall color but remains basically neutral. The mixed neutrals in the most of the quilt would be easy to work with and carry lots of texture. That would address the present color scheme without trying to overpower it.
This is what I would do. Lots of florals have a bit of green anyway so it shouldn't be too hard to find something with a bit of green. Since she has painted her walls green, she obviously likes green so if it's not in the quilt, it will probably disappoint her.

(P.S. I love the green walls! My bedroom is kind of a sage green and I love it. It's such a nice change from the sponge painted pink that I had.)

I just had a thought. How about taking her with you to pick out the fabrics?

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-12-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 AM

I agree with the colors suggested - and would offer a different pattern choice than stars. Try looking at Jenny Doan's Quatrefoil pattern. It lends itself to blend in better with the current room decor. I think stars would be too much of a contrast.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

All of the colors in the curtains would work and if you want to add green, pick a multi-color print with green in it. OR you could go with all neutrals although I am personally not a fan of quilts without some pop of color.

I totally agree with the Quatrefoil pattern comment because it has become one of my favorite patterns. You can easily use a multi-colored print for the center petals and use neutrals for the center and background as well as sashing and cornerstones.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanks Toverly.....a great idea to do a small "test run" first to see how the colors work together. Thanks for the advice, it is deeply appreciated.