Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with quilt color choices >

need help with quilt color choices

need help with quilt color choices

Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Good idea Cashs_mom, but I live in Iowa, she is in Tennessee. Thanks for your input...all of these replies are very helpful!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Thanks Deb for another suggestion on a different pattern....keep the pattern suggestions coming ladies, the more the better. I love learning new things on this board, so many great ideas from experienced quilters.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I agree with the colors suggested - and would offer a different pattern choice than stars. Try looking at Jenny Doan's Quatrefoil pattern. It lends itself to blend in better with the current room decor. I think stars would be too much of a contrast.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Thank you QuiltE for your compliments on my quilts. These were the "first" ones I did the first 2 winters I started quilting. I have since made about 8 other quilts, couch blankets, etc. using my scrap pile.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You're doing a great job KinMinis, as I see some lovely quilts that are well pieced, flat and well coordinated in colours and fabrics. Don't beat yourself up on that oops ..... sometimes no matter how much I look at placement, I still have a miss and shake my head later! As you said, we live and learn from those, and move on!! Good Luck in deciding what you want to do for your sister. From what I see, you are quite capable to try new/different challenges.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I agree with the creams, browns and more neutrals. Maybe a log cabin with a little green in the center block and brown on one side of the log cabin and different creams on the other side. My opinion on a star block is that it would be too defining-especially with the floral drapes. Also, think if you went to Jenny Doan and looked at her tutorials you may find something you like. Another thought is to google "brown, green,and cream quilts" and visually see if something looks good to you. Anything you make will be a treasure to your sister so don't worry too much-just enjoy making the quilt.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
How about using mixed creams, and tans with small amounts of green, peach, rust. It addresses all of the colors in the draperies and even the wall color but remains basically neutral. The mixed neutrals in the most of the quilt would be easy to work with and carry lots of texture. That would address the present color scheme without trying to overpower it.
I totally agree with this and would not avoid that lovely green! Just be sure to get an actual sample of the paint color (a chip or something) so you can get the right match. Pantone just announced the color for 2017 and it's Greenery--looks like your sister's walls so she's "stylin". I would avoid any large scale prints, but definitely green, chocolate, cream and that peach.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Let me join in the vote for creams, tans and browns, maybe a deep green that doesn't necessarily match the walls. I can see a Log Cabin in this setting. Colors on walls will change but not on a quilt. Too much work put into a king size so it ought be versatile to live nicely in its next setting.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 AM

Since the main busy color are the curtains, can you take a panel with you to the store??
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 AM

What kinds of quilts does your sister like?- modern or traditional. That will determine the pattern and there for the colors. I would do with a pattern/colors that accent the walls/drapers and not be the center of attention. maybe even a bento block or a simple block pattern. (PS maybe you could get your sister the change drapes)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 AM

I would stay with the earth tones - the browns adding the creams and dusty rose from the curtains. Since you do not care for the green, I would have it as a very SMALL part of the quilt. It should be there to tie things together, but, when you don't care for a color, it makes it very hard to work with. I might stay with lighter browns with only a bit of the darker to compliment the bed frame and the curtains but not make the room to dark. I think the curtains give you a bunch to work with. Please be sure to post what you decide on, I'm sure it will be gorgeous.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Neutrals would be my choice.