Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with quilt for a preemie >

Need help with quilt for a preemie

Need help with quilt for a preemie

Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 PM

While an isolette cover is a great idea, the baby will soon be out of it. I would do a small baby blanket for mom and dad.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:36 PM

I agree with crocee. My grandson was 12 weeks early and very tiny but he grew fast. A very small quilt will be outgrown before you know it.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Thank you all...Still waiting for my Aunt to call me back. I may have to call their daughter to get the info on her brother's baby.
I thought it was a 22 X 22....will be making one that size. Will also be making a regular size quilt for the baby for when she gets home....but no hurry on that one.
I thought that the small one could be used as a wall hanging when they get home from NICU.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 AM

The guild I used to belong to made them for Kaiser hospital and they were 24" x 36"
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 AM

I have what is probably a stupid question, but here goes.......

Making quilts, wraps, or whatever for hospital nurseries or preemie blankets or whatever......does not the fear of contamination/ germs enter here......these babies are so delicate and their immune system is so underdeveloped, I think anyway, that bringing something from " outside" the hospital environ seems rather careless......don't hospitals use sterilized equipment, linens etc?
Like I said, I don't know, never having been in that situation........but it has crossed my mind lately as our local hospital is asking for receiving blankets to be donated.....I was at a local goodwill store before holidays and saw a huge cart filled with donated, I presume, of those for .50 ea. now, why were they there.....who knows....what if someone purchased a lot of them and donated to a hospital.....germs from who knows where.........and we worry about washing cotton fab we buy at the store,.........
Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have what is probably a stupid question, but here goes.......

Making quilts, wraps, or whatever for hospital nurseries or preemie blankets or whatever......does not the fear of contamination/ germs enter here......these babies are so delicate and their immune system is so underdeveloped, I think anyway, that bringing something from " outside" the hospital environ seems rather careless......don't hospitals use sterilized equipment, linens etc?
Like I said, I don't know, never having been in that situation........but it has crossed my mind lately as our local hospital is asking for receiving blankets to be donated.....I was at a local goodwill store before holidays and saw a huge cart filled with donated, I presume, of those for .50 ea. now, why were they there.....who knows....what if someone purchased a lot of them and donated to a hospital.....germs from who knows where.........and we worry about washing cotton fab we buy at the store,.........
At our church, a group of ladies (and children) make preemie shirts and blankets for a hospital unit. They specify soft 100% cotton and give the measurements for the blankets. A pattern is given for the shirts. Everything is sanitized at the hospital before it enters the unit.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Tink's Mom, your gift of love will be very much appreciated by the parents. How sweet of you to think of it!