Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with sashing. >

Need help with sashing.

Need help with sashing.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Default Need help with sashing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UOACfBDBCg...border.jpg.jpg

Can someone tell me what is the best method for making this sashing and border for my quilt?(click link above.) Should I cut the 3 strips the size of my quilt squares and sew them on individually? Or should I sew three long strips together first and then cut to size? The corner squares look small so I am thinking the strips are each 1 1/2'. They would stitch out to 1" using a 1/4" seam allowance.
Enlarge the image so you can see the 3 strips. There is a white, dark, white making three.
Obviously I am a novice. Thanks.

Last edited by Bobblehead; 12-15-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I did a similar pieced sashing. I sewed 3 WOF strips, then sub cut to the length of the blocks. Mine were also cut at 1.5", so the sashing finished at 3". I pieced 9 patches for the cornerstones. Well worth the effort. Looking at the picture, the sashing looks like it finishes about the same size as the HSTs in the corner of the blocks. That might be a bit smaller than 3"
Old 12-15-2014, 07:05 PM

I agree with PaperPrincess to sew the 3 sashing strips together first, then cut the 3-strip sets in the right lengths. I would also sew the strips together from opposite ends to keep them straight since they are so narrow.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM

The block name is Goose in the Pond. What size is your finished block?

I pulled up the block in EQ and if your block is a finished 15", then you sashing is 3" wide therefore your blocks in the corners are 3" squares. These are finished sizes. You will need to add 1/2" to each piece for the seams when you cut. In case you are interested, the HST's in the second border finish at 3" also. So are the cornerstones. Each of the blue small borders are 1" finished. I made the last border 5". If this isn't the size of your block, I will recalculate according to your size.

edited to add: I was going to add a picture, but something is going on with that function or my laptop. I am going to reboot to see if it's me. BRB

2nd edit....It's not me. The upload screen told me twice the jpg file was not an image file. It is. I checked it by opening in my Windows Photo Viewer. I am going to have to check and see if jpg is no longer recognized as a file type for upload. Always something new with these computers and programs.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It looks like you will actually need 2 blocks with individual sashings. (I've not given sizes here, just a diagram of how to sash.)
One block is sashed all around it.
Another block will be sashed on only 2 sides WITHOUT the cornerstones.
A third block will be unsashed (plain).

The first two blocks will form one row. The next row will require you to turn the partially sashed block on its side, then use a plain unsashed block beside it to complete the row.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails sashings.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 AM

Can't advise but can say that is a beautiful quilt - love the colour choices.