Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Help on Satin Stitch

You need some stabilizer on the back of your fabric. In the past I have just used iron on interfacing for stabilizer but you may have to try different weights to get the right affect & help stop the puckering. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    Dance like no one is watching

Great link, pamelainsa! Thank you for sharing! Wish I could figure out how to condense it and print it without all of the ads.......would be a great reference to have next to me while trying to get this right! :-)

Any problem with the coffee filters "linting-up" the machine?

For a first try, you did a great job on your satin stitch applique! It does take a lot of practice, and using stabilizer. I used to use typing paper, but now use examining table paper....just the right weight...heavier than tissue paper, but tears away easily. Another thing is to loosen your top tension a bit, that will bring more of the thread to the back of your piece and gives a smoother stitch. I have a Bernina, and my bobbin case has a hole in the finger of it which I put my thread through, that sort of tightens the bobbin thread a bit without having to touch the bobbin tension. Have fun! Usually once you are done if you press with some steam, the block will flatten out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I've never done the satin stitch and I'm so glad that I read this thread as I was thinking about doing it for my wall hanging I just finished. I never thought about stabilizer. Thanks QB members!
    Thanks from me, too. Something I've wanted to try but was afraid to start.

Blog Entries
    Jenniky, I love your pinks and greens. Your granddaughter will also. Have a great weekend.
    Di

I think you did a beautiful job! The first time I did it was a disaster because I didn't use a stabilizer, what a mess. Since then if I use a heavy stabilizer I've been much happier with the result. Those turns are still tricky, but as one member said if we practice we will get better.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Using a stablizer on the back makes a lot of good advise to me.

When I satin stitch applique, I like to go around it first with a looser zigzag and then go over it again with a tighter one. I seem to get a better coverage that way without having to make such a tight zigzag that easily puckers. Has anyone else found this method helpful or am I weird?
    Thimble and Thread

Power Poster
    Having a machine with needle up/down button is really helpful. Stop with the needle down on the outside edge of an appliqué for outside curves. Stop with the needle down on the inside of an appliqué on inside curves. This will give you good appliqué edge coverage. Use a stabilizer underneath to avoid tunneling of the satin stitch. An appliqué foot is helpful too because it has a space for the satin stitch to run underneath and it is open in the front so can see better. I think Craftybear listed a site this week that was on appliqué?

Blog Entries
    I agree about the stabilizer. There is a new, water soluble one also. Haven't tried it, but want to. I have a New home, (Janome), Memory Craft and I can use the stitch width lever and make the points on the flowers. It does take some practice, but the lever moves smoothly and it is possible. The machine is old, like me, but we have turned out some good stuff over the years. Just keep practicing, it will come in handy on down the road. Good luck.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

You did a very good job. I bet those minor puckers would come out with some echo quilting of the background or a stipple. Ditto what has been said about stabilizer. The satin stitch is very formal, if you want a quick way of salvaging this, and, not just "salvaging this," but to give it more excitement, keep what you have done, and free-motion zig zag - not tight, actual zigs and zags, just inside of the satin stitch. This could be done with the same thread, or one just a shade different, or even another color. When you do this, you don't have to follow the first satin stitches exactly, just go for it. If you do this, it is very forgiving, whereas satin stitch is not.
    Good job!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all again for your continued help with the Satin Stitch I have learned so much from all of you. SmickChick do you have any pictures of Applique you have done with the free motion zigzag. Pictures always help me so much. Thanks again everyone.
    Have an awesome day!

Excelent advice on using stabilizer. I would add-practice and trying to keep your speed constant will give a nice smooth stitch. Also, it takes extra time but when I learned the teacher had us go around the design with a small regular zig-zag then do the satin stitch. You don't have to do this forever but it seemed to help in the beginning. PS your first attempt looks great!

They are right...stabilize the heck out of it!

I use coffee filters, too, for stabilizer - they work great and are cheap!! I have also used them for tracing items.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

When I was teaching machine applique'...I alway made sure the students used "TOTALLY STABLE" on the back side of their applique' projects. It's an iron on "slicky is sticky" stabilizer that can be torn off after the applique' is finished. I use it all the time and it works great. Remember when turing corners to needle down, lift foot, turn as needed, foot down and stitch. Inside corners, needle down on the inside, lift foot and turn...outside corners, needle down on outside, lift foot and turn. On curves and circles, slow and easy, inside curves, needle outside, turn slightly and often....inside curve, needle inside, turn slightly and often. Doing points is tricky( like with a star or triangle), outside point, go past one or two stitches, needle down ,turn 1/2 way, stitch one or two stitches, needle down, turn rest of the way and stitch....do just the same, but on the inside with an inside turn in the star or triangle. I'm sure there are some very good tutes on line that you might watch as well.
    Good Luck
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Blog Entries
    I'd just like to know how to create a satin stitch if you don't have an embroidery machine. I have a babylock that I assumed had a satin stitch when I purchased it. However, no such luck. Just zigzag and some built in satin type stitches that are actually patterns.

Jennoh2, shorten the stitch width on your zigzag stitch...take a piece of scrap and check it out...keep shortening stitch width, til you have it where you want it...WRITE down your adjustments so you can go back to them when you need them.
    Check out your manual for your machine as well. It will probably tell you how to do this.
    Good Luck
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I just took a workshop on machine applique from a nationally known designer/teacher. She uses Bounty paper towels for stabilizer; I used the paper towels I buy at Sam's Club and they worked great. You will just have to practice getting to end of the thing you are appliqueing. If you are making an inside turn, you leave your needle down on one side of the item, if an outside turn, leave the needle down on other. I am sure there are better instructions than this, but all the ones I read left me confused, so I had to figure it out for myself.
    Your piece looks pretty. Be proud of yourself and have another go at it immediately. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Im working on a quilt that has applique. So far all applique I have in my short quilting has bee done using the blanket stitch which I learned from a class. I would like to make this quilt using the satin stitch to go around the applique. Here is a picture of my result. Im not real happy with it. I had a lot of trouble with the tight turns and lots of puckering of the fabric as you can see. Was hoping for some help or links to good tutorials on this sort of stitching. Thanks in advance for helping.

Blog Entries
    Also check your presser foot, you should have one for satin or zig zag. It has an opening in the middle to allow for the thread to go under. You will have resistance with the tregular foot.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    I use coffee filters. Work better than expensive stabilizer in my opinion. Also, at inside corners go a few stitches farther, needle down, turn and go in the new direction, covering the stitches you just did. Give a better look to the coreners.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    Agree with needing stabilizer. I do a lot of machine applique and I use coffee filters for stabilizer and don't have a problem. Turns take some practice... turning left stop with the needle down to the right. Right turn - needle down on the left. You better try that on a practice piece first...it is hard to remember without doing it.
    I've had good luck with using coffee filters as well. Even tissue paper works and it's cheap as well. Especially if you buy the plain or white from the dollar store.

Blog Entries
    Loosen your upper tension. Use a thinner thread in your bobbin, white lingerie thread is good. Sometimes a glue stick, I also use 505 spray, sometime Elmer’s, always a stabilizer of some kind. >>
    Sometime I put the backing in a hoop, after gluing the appliqué in place, you may be pulling it out of shape without knowing it.>>

Blog Entries
    Thanks again everyone for the continued guidance and support. I've been practicing and have taken extensive notes from this thread. Will post a picture of my next attempt at redoing the block.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Im working on a quilt that has applique. So far all applique I have in my short quilting has bee done using the blanket stitch which I learned from a class. I would like to make this quilt using the satin stitch to go around the applique. Here is a picture of my result. Im not real happy with it. I had a lot of trouble with the tight turns and lots of puckering of the fabric as you can see. Was hoping for some help or links to good tutorials on this sort of stitching. Thanks in advance for helping.
    I have been practicing and working on the Satin Stitch using all of the advice I was given here.. I feel I am proficient in using the Satin Stitch. What helped the most was first of all using a stablizer... I tried several that were suggested but with all the practicing I needed to do .. I used mostly coffee filters and they worked just fine for me. Here is a picture of my goal..which was to Satin Stitch around this Dragon. Thank you all again for all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have an awesome day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast