Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758 >

Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758

Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758

Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 AM

Hello all, I was recently given this machine as a donation to a quilting bee I run in a neighborhood here in Birmingham, AL. I've only started sewing regularly in the past three years and this is my first machine with the winding mechanism for the bobbin in the bobbin housing.

Last week we used the machine for the first time. It came to me directly from the Singer store here in town and I know the technician there and he's great. We started sewing with it and it ran like a dream. As soon as the bobbin emptied though, we were in trouble. I don't have the manual so I tried doing things intuitively (which might be my whole problem...could I have messes something up?) to no avail.

I found this post last week and was thrilled to have such detailed instructions to follow. I followed them to a T and wasn't able to get the machine threaded properly. Also, I hand wound the bobbin and placed it in the machine with all of the threads going in the proper direction and when I tried sewing, the thread on the bottom of the fabric (the one fed by the bobbin) was extremely loose, leaving huge loops of thread in between each stitch. I adjusted tension and anything else I could adjust but we never got it sewing properly again.

If anyone has any further instructions - I know the ones above are incredibly clear and detailed - or knows what I'm doing wrong - I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much,
Lillis
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Is there any way that you can post closeup pictures of the stitching on the top and bottom of your fabric?

Usually large loops of thread on the back are the needle thread - not enough tension on the needle thread to balance the tension on the bobbin thread.

But, you say this is the thread from the bobbin with big loops, and if that's actually the case, it probably means that there is too much tension on the bobbin thread. This can be caused by overwinding the bobbin past that ring marked on the bobbin or by the bobbin thread being caught in something, or by "crud" packed into the spring on the bobbin case.

Since the machine has worked well before, you just have to keep trying different things. The first thing to check is that the loopy thread is actually the bobbin thread and not the needle thread. (I use two different colors of thread when I'm troubleshooting a machine to make it easier to tell the difference.) If it's the needle thread, the thread is probably not seating properly between the tension disks, or somehow the tension has been dialed down to too low a number. Turn it up a few numbers and see if that helps.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM

I agree with everything thepolyparrot said, but I would add one thing. Take out the bobbin and put it back in again.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Thanks so much thepolyparrot! It was indeed the needle thread and although we thought the machine was properly threaded - there was an issue with the tension discs. All is well and it felt GREAT to figure it out...thanks again! Also, I couldn't have done it without this whole thread - so thanks to all!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Yay! The instant exchange of information strikes again! Glad you're up and running!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 PM

That is a touch n sew model. I have a different model but sometimes the bobbins wear & they wind but when attempting to sew it makes bird nest. Might try new bobbins. The info about the new ones (bobbins0 was interes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Wow, these are all great tips! An old friend gave this machine to me when she was moving - since then, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to use it... I'm usually pretty good with figuring stuff like this out but this one is stumping me! was told that the machine is in great condition and has everything it needs (except the manual, which has been long gone!) Does anyone here know of any tutorials that can help me learn how to use this machine? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 AM

EJKM, which machine was given to you? The T&S 758 or one of the other models mentioned?

There is a pdf version of the manual posted above in this thread for the T&S 750, which is very similar to the 758.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 AM

Im new at sewing and just got this model singer 758 i was so excited until the bobbin will not spin. I also tried to load it with a already wound bobbin and it wont catch the bobbin thread. im worried i bought a lemon ( my recent craigslist find). I saw all these posts with people using same model and was hoping i was doing something wrong. I followed all the instructions to a T both in the manual.and on here.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM

Unthread the machine and turn it back so you can take off the bottom cover.

On the left side, under the needle area, you will see two gears at right angles to each other. The gear that's oriented vertically (when the machine is standing up) might have come loose and is not engaging the horizontal gear. There should be a small amount of play between the two gears - they should not fit tightly together. When you turn the handwheel, the vertical gear drives the horizontal gear.

If the gears are too far apart, turn the handwheel and look for an allen nut on the bar that turns the vertical gear. Loosen it with an allen wrench, slide the bar to the left to engage the horizontal gear (but not tight) then tighten the allen nut. When you turn the handwheel, the gears should now be engaged and the bobbin case should spin.

If the teeth on those gears are broken off, they're unfortunately going to continue to crumble and replacing them is expensive - you can do it yourself if you get the parts and save a lot of money.