Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758 >

Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758

Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758

Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Please help, stuck and frusterated

I have this same machine (I recently acquired it). I can't seem to bring the thread up from the bobbin. It appears the needle is hitting something under the plate, but I can't see what it is...anyone have any suggestions? Or websites I go to to figure it out? I just got it last week. I got it working once, but it seems to be jammed now, but I don't see anything. The thread won't come up (the way the manual describes, and when I turn the knob towards me the needle goes down, but won't come up unless I reverse the direction of the knob.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Unthread the machine and turn it back so you can take off the bottom cover.

On the left side, under the needle area, you will see two gears at right angles to each other. The gear that's oriented vertically (when the machine is standing up) might have come loose and is not engaging the horizontal gear. There should be a small amount of play between the two gears - they should not fit tightly together. When you turn the handwheel, the vertical gear drives the horizontal gear.

If the gears are too far apart, turn the handwheel and look for an allen nut on the bar that turns the vertical gear. Loosen it with an allen wrench, slide the bar to the left to engage the horizontal gear (but not tight) then tighten the allen nut. When you turn the handwheel, the gears should now be engaged and the bobbin case should spin.

If the teeth on those gears are broken off, they're unfortunately going to continue to crumble and replacing them is expensive - you can do it yourself if you get the parts and save a lot of money.
Thanks for the good info. My DH checked and sure enough, you pegged the problem!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 PM

If this Touch and Sew is like mine, the threading instructions are inside the verticle plate that when you open the door shows the needle rod, the pressure knob and red lines that show threading instructions.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Have 2 of these machines. Older one sometimes doesn't always cut the thread when starting. Another thing the plastic bobbins wear(the hole on top) & that causes problems. Didn't know about he newer ones as I have had probems with those, I did get them from my singer dealer tho.The nylon gears are a problem on some models. My 63 model has metal but had to replace on one of my machines
Old 11-08-2012, 04:01 PM

I just purchased a singer touch and sew 756. It seems to sew fairly well but I am confused as to which direction to insert thebobbin. The directions appear to have it unwind clockwise ( the thread forms a letter ' d'when held on end)as opposed to newer machines which unwind counterclockwise.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Wow seems alot of us acquired the same machine. I just recently got the 758, after winding the bobbin I get all sorts of mess...birds nest....the bobbin isn't winding evenly so i am sure that's where the problem lays....guess its time to find out which needles & bobbins work for this machine. Anyone use pre-wind bobbins on this machine?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Hello all! You all helped me when I needed to learn how to thread the bobbin and I'm wondering if you've ever encountered the following problem: All of a sudden (and I'm not sure exactly how sudden since a group of women now use this machine and I've not been sewing with it) the feed dogs aren't feeding fabric. The machine is threaded correctly, as is the bobbin and the machine sews but the fabric doesn't move. What could be the problem? Thanks so much for your time in advance!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by lillistaylor View Post
the thread on the bottom of the fabric (the one fed by the bobbin) was extremely loose, leaving huge loops of thread in between each stitch. I adjusted tension and anything else I could adjust but we never got it sewing properly again.
When i have trouble with my machine like this, it's virtually always the threading. On The Singer T&S you have to be sure the thread clicks when you wind it around the tension wheel.

I assume with the info above, you've been able to get the bobbin to wind.

Sue
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM

>>the feed dogs aren't feeding fabric
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ReapandSew View Post
I can't seem to bring the thread up from the bobbin. It appears the needle is hitting something under the plate, but I can't see what it is...anyone have any suggestions?
The first thing to try is a new needle. If that doesn't work, then it looks like the timing is off. For me, that would mean a trip to the repair shop. Maybe someone here knows how to adjust the timing and can share that information. I did check the web site referenced for repair, but didn't see anything obvious other than buying the repair manuals.